Cycling on dual carriageway and car beeps...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've ridden along that dual carriageway.. I honestly don't remember it.
I have ridden along there twice and I don't remember it either. How long has the road been split like that?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
@ColinJ
There's a G Maps photo from 2009, so since before that and I can't see a commemorative plaque via Streetview.
I'll phone a friend...

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Looks like to make it a two way road they needed to build a new bridge next to an old bridge and that necessitated splitting the carriageway.

I have ridden along there twice and I don't remember it either. How long has the road been split like that?
I see @PeteXXX has the answer 👍. I used to go to Mull in October as part of the Radio Comms team for the Mull Rally. The single track from Salen to just outside Tobermory when the ferry had docked was effectively a constant flow northwards.

Given how much of the road network on Mull is single track with passing places, the dual carriageway doesn't really stand out that much.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Worst bit in the West of Scotland has to be the last mile of the A8, coming out of Greenock before it becomes the M8.
Non motorway traffic should be directed off sooner

I've seen people cycling that section of the A8 they must have a deathwish it frightened me and I was in a 40tonner. I think there is a cycle lane for some of the way but it doesn't seem to go all the way. It's a pity, a cycle route along the south bank of the Clyde would be quite an attraction.

There is a paved path (of sorts) which runs along the south side of the A8 from Parklea roundabout (Port Glasgow) to Langbank. Certainly not the type of path that would keep roadies happy, but ok for a plodder like me on a hybrid or MTB.. It runs alongside the wall bordering Finlaystone estate.
My mate who lives in Greenock regularly cycles on that section of the A8 and other roads that I would never venture onto, like the A8 past the old IBM towards Inverkip. I keep asking him why? There are much safer alternatives, e.g. from Port Glasgow to Langbank - go up the Clune Brae, turn left and follow the B road to Langbank. It involves one or two climbs but so what, it's good training! And for every climb there is a descent.....

freiston

Veteran
Nothing scientific - just anecdotal but I've had quite a few conversations over the years with folk who don't cycle but do travel in motor vehicles - either as drivers or passengers - and the number of times someone has believed that cycling on some dual carriageways is not permitted (where it is) is astounding. It seems that [false] assumptions of the lack of rights of cyclists (and other non motorists) and the rights of motorists on "fast roads" are becoming more entrenched. When I was younger, I often used "fast" dual carriageways to cover long distances on bike and whilst feeling less safe than on some other roads, did not feel especially fearful; on those same roads today, I would be very scared.

Of course, there's a lot more motor traffic on the roads nowadays and that must play a part in it, but I think there's more to it than that, and that the false assumptions mentioned above are, to an extent, playing a dual role of both cause and effect (people think cyclists ain't allowed so they drive accordingly, and because people drive like that, it is assumed that cyclists ain't allowed). I also recall when younger that HGV drivers were usually less scary than car drivers, driving to a higher and safer standard - but I don't notice that nowadays.

Dual carriageways near me that scare me silly (I've never cycled on them - it's just the thought of it) are the A45 between Coventry and Birmingham, and the A46 Kenilworth/Warwick bypass.

Last edited:

grldtnr

Nothing scientific - just anecdotal but I've had quite a few conversations over the years with folk who don't cycle but do travel in motor vehicles - either as drivers or passengers - and the number of times someone has believed that cycling on some dual carriageways is not permitted (where it is) is astounding. It seems that [false] assumptions of the lack of rights of cyclists (and other non motorists) and the rights of motorists on "fast roads" are becoming more entrenched. When I was younger, I often used "fast" dual carriageways to cover long distances on bike and whilst feeling less safe than on some other roads, did not feel especially fearful; on those same roads today, I would be very scared.

Of course, there's a lot more motor traffic on the roads nowadays and that must play a part in it, but I think there's more to it than that, and that the false assumptions mentioned above are, to an extent, playing a dual role of both cause and effect (people think cyclists ain't allowed so they drive accordingly, and because people drive like that, it is assumed that cyclists ain't allowed). I also recall when younger that HGV drivers were usually less scary than car drivers, driving to a higher and safer standard - but I don't notice that nowadays.

Dual carriageways near me that scare me silly (I've never cycled on them - it's just the thought of it) are the A45 between Coventry and Birmingham, and the A46 Kenilworth/Warwick bypass.

I echo what you say, when I was a regular club cyclist, I wouldn't think anything of taking a busy dual carriageway if I wanted to get somewhere quick, but then I was younger, quicker, and perhaps a little foolish.
I regularly used to cycle out to my club meets on a Sunday morning, but then again ,being Sunday early mornings were usually quieter.
I certainly would not choose to use dual carriageways now if I didn't have too, but unfortunately sometimes it's needed .

The duel carriageways around Runcorn are a pain - all the signs direct you to them but they are clearly not designed for bikes
There is a sort of mini hard shoulder lane thing at the side - but it is often covered it rubbish - and anyway the traffic is fast and busy

I have noticed that there are no signs saying cyclists are not allowed - but I have never seen one there - then it leads you to the new bridge which DOES say no cyclists but only the Gods know what you are supposed to do then!

For those that want to get across the Mersey at that point I find that you need to follow signs for the Railway Station
It is right by the old Silver Jubilee bridge and there is a nice cycle path down the Eastern side of it (2 way!) across to Widnes.

Naturally there are no signs showing cyclist this!

Top Bottom