Cycling and Europe, especially Amsterdam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My first visit to Amsterdam and the Dutch attitude to cycling and I am astounded.

I knew they did loads, but apparently bikes out number people by 1.5 to 1 person.

They just ride everywhere. Very few 'sport' cyclists and only saw them meeting up at weekends. Apparently about 40k get stolen each year, and canal dredging recovers about half of missing bikes (according to our skipper on a canal tour).

Things aren't perfect. Council banned a free multi story bike park as it was ugly, right next to an ugly general office block (the bike park is there but empty). They built a fancy underground one, but charge if you park for longer that 24h. People aren't using it.

Most bikes are the Dutch Bikes. Any with a blue front tyre are rentals, the residents pay about 20 euro a month for a normal bike, but theft and repairs covered. Very few MTB or road bikes.

Drivers seem really patient to cyclists and pedestrians, but you take your life in your hands crossing roads as cyclists don't stop, they will just whizz round any peds expecting them to get out of the way. I'd need a few smokes to ride round here.

Will we ever get there, nope.

The cycle networks in and outside town are incredible.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Glad you enjoyed the experience!

My Dutch son tells me that the scary junctions have the effect of slowing people down, or making them fully alert. There are, apparently very few collisions.

When I met his mother 40 odd years ago Amsterdam was as congested with cars as Manchester is today. Change can happen, given the vision and will.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I saw the multi storey bike park when it was open. It was incredible.

There's a lot to be learnt from them I'm terms of public cycling infrastructure.

The guy said it looked great full of bikes, but the building behind was uglier. The underground thing is impressive, but not from the locals view.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Ooh, I've had a few. Last one left me with a broken arm, collar bone and shoulder blade. I avoided a woman signalling to turn left who then turned right. After picking myself up she said, "Sorry I changed my mind" and pedalled off.

Sorry to hear that. Did it happen in Amsterdam?

Sorry to hear that. Did it happen in Amsterdam?

No, centre of Utrecht. Must admit I was going too fast. Had to cycle 25 km with gritted teeth to get to hospital in Amersfoort.

DogmaStu

I spent some time in Amsterdam over a 3 year period (2016-2019) where I was there a week most months.

I got around on a fixie bike, my ex-wife on a Dutch bike. She had one stolen from outside our apartment, actually.

The infrastructure is excellent, I rarely witnessed any accidents and those I did always involved tourists. I would however say that I thought that there were a lot more 'kamikaze' pilots around than my experiences in Belgium and Denmark.

Copenhagen remains my favourite city for cycling - the general courtesy for others and obedience of the rules was exemplary.

Top Bottom