Cycling and fashion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yazziejo

Hi, I'm a fashion student and for my last project i'm doing a collection based on cycling clothes and making them more stylish...no offence to anyone who likes the clothes already out there for cyclists. I've got a quiz that i really need people to answer. It's just some basic information gathering and I just need to know your opinions and thoughts. It's mainly aimed at women (since there's already quite a lot of menswear for cycling) but the guys are more then welcome to put thier input in too.

1)Are you male or female?

2) What age group are you? 16-20 20-30, 30-40 40-50, 50+

3)Are you a serious cyclist or is it just for fun?

4)What profession are you?

5) What clothes brand do you mainly shop in?

6) What safety gear do you wear whilst cycling?

7)When cycling, what are your main concerns with the clothes you wear?

8) Do you cycle mainly during the day or at night too?

9) Have you ever had or been in a near accident?

10)Do you cycle in dresses/skirts at all?

11)Would you be interested in a range of clothes that subtly incorporated road safety as well as being stylish?

12) If there's anything else you'd like to add about cycling clothes or cycling in general, don't hesitate to add

Thank you for taking the time to answer this brief questionaire.

Yaz

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hi, I'm a fashion student and for my last project i'm doing a collection based on cycling clothes and making them more stylish...no offence to anyone who likes the clothes already out there for cyclists. I've got a quiz that i really need people to answer. It's just some basic information gathering and I just need to know your opinions and thoughts. It's mainly aimed at women (since there's already quite a lot of menswear for cycling) but the guys are more then welcome to put thier input in too.

Female

40-50
Not sure what you are getting at - I don't tend to wear lycra - cycling is fun and a means of transport
I don't need to be really smart for work
Various
Reflective at night, helmet most of the time, lights
Comfort, and then want to look nice - both on and off the bike
Mostly day
Couple of minor bumps
Not on a day to day basis but for going out
11)Would you be interested in a range of clothes that subtly incorporated road safety as well as being stylish?
Probably not - I can always add reflective bands to arms and legs, comfort for cycling in whilst the ability not to look like a cyclist off the bike would probably be more my thing
12) If there's anything else you'd like to add about cycling clothes or cycling in general, don't hesitate to add
I would like clothes made out of technical materials but in a non technical design, and tops that are long enough at the back

Yaz

Hope that helps - it may not be what you are after.

[Edit] Forgot to say that I tend to wear dark coloured narrow trousers (often jeans) in winter to avoid chain marks - in summer I just put up with them on my legs.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

Male

20 - 30

It is a means to get fit, explore and also to travel from A - B.

I am between things at the moment.

It depends, I mean, I practically live in thermal base layer tops, so I'd say outdoor brands. Either that or I end up in somewhere like Burtons, Top Shop or anywhere else that I see clothes I like.

I also happen to go by colour, design and value for money qualitywise as a pose to name or brand, I'd never get something that I didn't like just because it was high fashion, a top name or going cheap on the sale rail (I also have a mild phobia about certain kinds of buttons, so I tend to avoid things with buttons - I absolutely despise shirts for example).
Going a bit on colours and design, I am also the type of person who will see certain things that I like, only to learn it is for women (or for kids), and then get a bit disappointed when I see the drab or unimaginative men's version. I don't know what that says about me, but there you go!

A helmet (the colour of which often is dictated by the colour of my bike unless there is an overlap between bikes and helmets which is the current situation, he he!). My bike also wears some lights, and in certain circumstances (usually at night on an unlit road) I'd don my Hi - Viz railway things which are orange (and proper work gear), not the yellow things which everyone and their dog wears (if I'm going to look like a dork, I at least want to stand out!! ha ha!!).

That they are comfortable, suitable for the task and wont get caught in the chain, but just as importantly is the criteria that they will keep me nice and warm (but not to TOO warm) in winter, cool in the summer (but not TOO cold) and waterproof if need be. Oh yes, and which look remotely ok off the bike too, obviously!

There is no such thing as the wrong weather, just the wrong clothes.

Both.

Yes, but nothing major.

Only at the weekends :laugh:

Yes. I am aware that there are things such as normal looking hats with a helmet built into them for the likes of Dressage and so on, so anything like that that looks good, be it when out for an early morning training run or on the likes of a Tweed Run but is also safe would get my vote without a doubt!

Normal clothes, (not just sports wear) with safety things built in would be nice.

It is difficult to be lit up like a Christmas tree at night and not look like a bit of an eejit, so the more decent looking products out there the better!

Yaz

Don't mention it.

Doug, cycling superstar and fashion icon! <cough>.

MALE

40-50

SERIOUS, WHICH IS STILL FUN

FIREFIGHTER

GORE & ENDURA, BUT ALWAYS LOOKING FOR A BARGAIN

HELMET, HIGH VIV AND HELMET MOUNTED LIGHTS

COMFORT, WARMTH IN THE WINTER.

BOTH

YES, BUT FORTUNATELY NOTHING SERIOUS

NO

POSSIBLY

Yaz

Male

50+

In between, but leaning more to the serious side - hobby/pastime

Greenkeeper

Adidas, Altura, Santini, Endura

Helmet, gloves, shades

Comfort, practicality, looks

Mostly day, but evenings/nights occasionally

Yes, broke my collarbone after a fall

No

Not really

No

:becool:

ACS

Legendary Member

Male

50+
Serious
IT Geek
Anything that is fit for purpose. Brand is not important.
Helmet. Hi-Viz and reflective
The fit and don't boil me alive
Both
Yes
No
Yes
Breathability.

Yaz

fimm

Veteran

female
30 - 40
serious
computer programmer
don't really have a preferred brand. I have bought things from Wiggle and also from Aldi
helmet and high-vis
depends. On the Brompton, I'm concerned that I don't get oil on my office clothes. On my road bike, I'll be in cycling specific clothes, which need to keep me warm/cool enough, depending on the weather!
Day and night
only very minor low speed falls with no other vehicle involved
yes, on the Brompton when commuting. There are some skirts I won't wear on the Brompton as I'm concerned they'll get dirty/damaged in some way.
Probably not - the nice thing about having high-vis that goes over everything else is that I can choose whether or not to wear it.

Yaz

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire

female

Fun - don't compete or commute, but like longish rides

Writer - self employed, work at home so usually scruffy most of the time!

Outdoor shops, mostly, or M&S for normal clothes (and doesn't that make me sound middle-aged!)

helmet, yellow jacket

keeping me warm/cool enough (depending on the weather) and being visible

day

no

no

probably not - I don't need to look smart at the same time as I'm cycling

Yaz

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Male

it's my only mode of transport, yet don't class myself as 'serious'

Interweb marketing

TK Maxx, Ebay... right clothes at a good price rather than 'brand'

Trouser clips.

Not ruining yet another trouser leg in the chain

Bit of both

Had few near misses over the years

only short ones

Yes

I've always wanted a pair of long pants with a 'gatherable' section on the lower right leg, preferable with a series or draw strings (velcro looks crap) and a quick single handed action to draw the leg in, keeping it safely away from the chain. I've never been a fan of fluorescent clothing, but a dashing of reflectivity here and there wouldn't go a miss.

When I was in Copenhagen for a week many moons ago I saw plenty of women cycling to work in high heels, skirts, dresses, et al... they didn't seem to see any need for dressing a certain way just to get to work on a bike.

As a regular cyclist (but not 'serious'), I personally don't feel the need to wear special pants, t-shirts or tops (apart from a breatheable waterproof top) mainly because I'm too skinny and self conscious to wear tight fitting lycra... however a little thought in clothing does impress me, like the vents in my winter coat which do make a difference when one begins to overheat; absorbant patches on the back of gloves as my eyes tend to water quite a lot
:cry:

suecsi

FEMALE

30-40

COMMUTING ONLY

OFFICE MANAGER

M&S, EBAY, TKMAXX - WHATEVER FITS (PETITES ARE A PROBLEM)

ALTURA HI VIS WATERPROOF, HELMET WITH REAR LIGHT

NOT TO GET OIL ON THEM (THOUGH I WEAR MOSTLY DARK COLOURS UNDER THE HI VIS)

BOTH

NO

YES - A LINE MINI SKIRTS WITH CYCLE SHORTS UNDER (LOTS OF POTHOLES ON ROUTE), WITH OPAQUE TIGHTS IN WINTER. FLARED KNEE LENGTH SKIRTS IN WARMER WEATHER.

YES, PARTICULARLY COATS

12) If there's anything else yo'd like to add about cycling clothes or cycling in general, don't hesitate to add

THERE NEVER SEEMS TO BE SHORTER LENGTHS IN TROUSERS FOR US PETITE LADIES.

Yaz

tyred

Legendary Member
1)Are you male or female? Male

2) What age group are you? 16-20 20-30, 30-40 40-50, 50+ 20-30

3)Are you a serious cyclist or is it just for fun? Mostly fun

4)What profession are you? Telephone Technician

5) What clothes brand do you mainly shop in? Pennys, market stalls, Dunnes Stores (i.e. Cheap skate!)

6) What safety gear do you wear whilst cycling? Gloves

7)When cycling, what are your main concerns with the clothes you wear? Too heavy or sweaty

8) Do you cycle mainly during the day or at night too? Mostly evening/night

9) Have you ever had or been in a near accident? Had one near miss with a car and a few self inflicted falls, nothing major

10)Do you cycle in dresses/skirts at all? Definitely not

11)Would you be interested in a range of clothes that subtly incorporated road safety as well as being stylish? Apart from the hi-vis aspect, I don't see how clothes can improve safety. It's not practical to cycle in padded motorcycle style clothes.

I very rarely wear cycle specific clothing.

Thank you for taking the time to answer this brief questionaire. Glad to be off service

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm a boy

Aged 50

I don't do anything seriously

I'm a manager in an international charity

Day (work) wear I seem to have a lot of M&S. Eves and weekends I wear what ever my fashion student son, his sister and his mother insist I wear/buy for me. H&M to Aquascutum and everything in between.

I wear a helmet when commuting or MTB'ing or riding in a group on the road. Ghastly Respro flourescent/reflective bib when commutting. Bagaboo reflective velcro trouser bands.

Comfort e.g. no seams where it hurts, good fit, nice designs/details, good wicking properties and a bit of brand sometimes.

Mainly daylight commutes but I ride in the dark a lot too. Probably 70/30 split

Several over the years.
Most recent was this morning at 08:25. Nothing I can actively do (wear clothes, have more lights....) can protect me from idiots reading papers whilst they drive to work.

Does a kilt qualify?

Yes.

12) If there's anything else you'd like to add about cycling clothes or cycling in general, don't hesitate to add.
I hate lycra. I like, love even, Merino wool.

You're welcome.

Yaz
Greg

david1701

1) Male

2) 21

3) Fun mostly but I use my bike to get to meetings and for as much of my transport as possible

4) Photographer (freelance)

5) Timberland

6) Gloves (always) and often a helmet, bicylce clips if I'm wearing jeans

7) Getting caught in the chain (destroyed a pair of jeans like this and head to go home with jeans opening at the knee :biggrin:), also sweat wicking as I get warm on hills

8) Mostly during the day but sometimes at night

9) No

10) Only at the weekends (jk I don't cycle in girls clothes :tongue:)

11) A bit but I'm not too fussed about safety as my riding is predominantly in rural areas

12) clothes that are warm enough to wander about it, but not too hot when riding, that look like normal clothes and don't get in the way.

Thank you for taking the time to answer this brief questionaire. - No worries

Yaz

Male.

40-50.

Very serious indeed.

Bike geek.

When shopping I wear clothing from a number of different brands.

None unless you include occasional gloves as safety wear.

That I look great.

Mainly during the day - but often at night.

Yes, yes and yes.

I sometimes wear a kilt but never on the bike.

Yup.

Ok.

You're very welcome.

Yaz

Top Bottom