Cycling and your wellbeing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marley-39-39

Hello everyone

I hope you are all well and would consider participating in a study looking at the effects your Cycling activities and important others have on your wellbeing with a chance to win £100. Recently not being able to take part in these activities and see others how we would like to have been tough. We want to better understand the effects our sporting activities and important others have on our wellbeing. This research will allow us to improve interventions aimed at improving individuals' mental health and only takes approximately 25 minutes to complete.

Simply click on the link below or copy and paste the URL into a search bar and start the survey today.

https://bangorhumanscience.fra1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_el1CV3UnBGiWhRb

Sharky

Guru
Sorry, I did try, but it was an endless list of questions and I ran out of steam, so gave up. Also I have two sports, cycling and table tennis. Both have equal priority in my life for the last 50 years, but answers were not always the same.

I tried. I gave up.

Not everyone who cycles sees it as a sport, nor measures performance.
In fact, I'd suggest those who cycle for utility (commuting) or pleasure are in a different mindset (and therefore have different mental states and outcomes?) than "serious" competing, performance measuring athletes.

Personally, I believe that the rhythmic pedalling, the fresh air and the different views are incredibly important to a healthy mind. For a few weeks after I got a gps and started "racing" myself on a commute I lost that. I copped on.

Good idea, very poor execution. Sorry.

Hello everyone

I hope you are all well and would consider participating in a study looking at the effects your Cycling activities and important others have on your wellbeing with a chance to win £100. Recently not being able to take part in these activities and see others how we would like to have been tough. We want to better understand the effects our sporting activities and important others have on our wellbeing. This research will allow us to improve interventions aimed at improving individuals' mental health and only takes approximately 25 minutes to complete.

Simply click on the link below or copy and paste the URL into a search bar and start the survey today.

https://bangorhumanscience.fra1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_el1CV3UnBGiWhRb
OK - felt I should give it a try as I cycle - and went to Bangor

gave up

not really relevant to some bloke who goes out riding a bike on his own 3-4 times a week (wife says s** off it's every damn day - whatever)
FAR too many VERY close questions which I just wasn;t really sure what the answer was

would apply really well to someone who plays rugby (e.g.) or RUNS in a competative manner but people who take part on a pure fitness and wellbeing level and have no interest in times and distances etc - it is too much

also - quite intrusive - do you REALLY need to know EXACTLY how old I am (between 1 and 100) and EXACTLY how long I have been in a committed relationship???

I suggest you talk to an expert in creating surveys - my wife used to do thinks like that which is why I know stuff

Otherwise -- good luck -sorry

Drago

Legendary Member
Gave up after 5 minutes. I dont mind helping out, but thats a full time job!

Sharky

Guru
I think I've come across this type of survey before. It starts off with easy Q&A's, but as it proceeds, it throws back at you similar questions, with ever increasingly difficult choices. The theory is that it becomes impossible to hide your true feelings. The scores are calculated and a black box spits out an analysis or a graph supporting the assumptions that were made in the first place.

When I was on the receiving end, the whole process was explained and we persevered to the end of the questions.
Without an explanation and when it is entirely voluntary, the option to quit half way through is the obvious choice.

To the OP, should you return, explain the process and make it simpler, otherwise the option to go out for a bike ride will be the choice that most on here will take.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I tried it as well, too much of a chore.

Also seems too weighted towards the sport/competition angle. Didn’t look very relevant to me as a commuter so is missing out on a sizeable chunk of people who cycle regularly.

I have had contact with several people who have done surveys professionally - my wife for example

The first person I came across was when I was at Bangor University (like the OP) doing a PGCE. One of the other trainee teachers had just finished a degree in Sports Science and had tried to do a survey as part of a project - it had failed so he went to find people in the university that knew about such things - he ended up doing a proper course on it.
The topic is VERY complicated - and getting it even slightly wrong generates biased data
There is a technique where you ask a question different ways at different times and compare the results to check for consistently
anyone who has ever registered with Eharmony will have seen this

Thing is - if you are asking the general public do do the survey to do you a favour then you cannot afford to make it onerous or difficult.
and the format needs to be appealing

Hence - most surveys for 'just some bloke' have to be short, easy and nicely formatted
which this one isn't

I hope the OP doesn't take all this as negative - I think it just needs a re-think and assess what people have said and move forward

Good luck anyway

Top Bottom