Cycling Around the World, Sadly had to return for major repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Bulge's or cuts in the sidewall of a tyre can be a problem, I carry two boots that I have made by cutting the ends of plastic toothpaste tubes then cut them length ways and you have a very strong but flexable boot for those times you get a cut or bulge.

That’s a good tip. I never thought that I could reinforce the sidewall to temporarily fix the bulge or s cut. Cheers

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Bike sounds well fettled.

Worth fitting the Chainglider if it isn't already, they do keep the majority of road grit off the chain.

Speaking of which, I'm surprised the shop has used a 'Campagnolo nine speed', nothing wrong with that but Rohloff recommend a KMC X1 which is sold as a 'Rohloff chain'.

I take it you will be taking a chain breaker and a quick link or two.

You appear to be well off for sprockets.

They tend to wear in 'one direction' as you may imagine.

Rohloff sprockets are designed to be reversible for this reason, giving you a lot of extra life.

So probably no need to take any more than one spare.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Bike sounds well fettled.

Worth fitting the Chainglider if it isn't already, they do keep the majority of road grit off the chain.

Speaking of which, I'm surprised the shop has used a 'Campagnolo nine speed', nothing wrong with that but Rohloff recommend a KMC X1 which is sold as a 'Rohloff chain'.

I take it you will be taking a chain breaker and a quick link or two.

You appear to be well off for sprockets.

They tend to wear in 'one direction' as you may imagine.

Rohloff sprockets are designed to be reversible for this reason, giving you a lot of extra life.

So probably no need to take any more than one spare.

Hi, yes Rohloff supplied a Chainglider which looks quite tidy. Having never seen one before, I was surprised to see that it actually sat on the chain and the chain rubbed through it. I asked if this would wear the Chainglider but was told there is very little friction. I suppose the clue was in the name Chainglider.

During a lengthy phone conversation I had with Rohloff management while we worked out the solution to my problems, I was informed that the chain they recommend and supply usually is a good solid chain, but I was told that due to my concerns and length of time I would be away, they recommended and supplied me with the Campagnola. I know nothing about these things but I have to say the chain looks kind of nice, and not like the clunky chains I remember. I had a great conversation that day between a director, manager and myself, and we all feel we had agreed the best solution for my needs.

I have ordered a compact chain breaker, Rock N Roll Extreme lube, link pliers, Taya SC-20 Sigma Chain Pin Connector, 2x SRAM Powerlink Gold 9 speed quick links, a spare Campagnola chain, and a bottom bracket wrench for adjusting chain tension. I hope I have everything I need for chain repair there :smile:

Yes, I will keep some of the spare sprocket gear in the UK ready to be posted out to me if needed. I'm gathering a little weight in bits and bobs :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If Herr Rohloff says that's the chain to go for, it must be a good 'un.

I have a Chainglider on my Rohloff bike.

It does just sit on the top run of the chain at rest.

My guess is it's mostly either bouncing off the chain or floating in mid air when you are cycling due to bumps and vibrations.

I can't detect any resistance.

One slight thing against it is you can only see a tiny bit of chain, so a proper visual inspection isn't possible.

Wiping the chain is also not possible, so I never bother.

Easy enough to unhook the Chainglider part around the sprocket for the occasional proper look-see and wipe with a rag if you want to.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

If Herr Rohloff says that's the chain to go for, it must be a good 'un.

I have a Chainglider on my Rohloff bike.

It does just sit on the top run of the chain at rest.

My guess is it's mostly either bouncing off the chain or floating in mid air when you are cycling due to bumps and vibrations.

I can't detect any resistance.

One slight thing against it is you can only see a tiny bit of chain, so a proper visual inspection isn't possible.

Wiping the chain is also not possible, so I never bother.

Easy enough to unhook the Chainglider part around the sprocket for the occasional proper look-see and wipe with a rag if you want to.

I agree with the vibration keeping it clear all around. When I slowly turned the pedals by hand and placed my hand on the glider I could feel it in contact with the chain, but I guess at a little speed this would not be the case. Quite clever really.

So how often would you oil the chain? And when fixing a puncture is it a pain to drop the wheel out?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I agree with the vibration keeping it clear all around. When I slowly turned the pedals by hand and placed my hand on the glider I could feel it in contact with the chain, but I guess at a little speed this would not be the case. Quite clever really.

So how often would you oil the chain? And when fixing a puncture is it a pain to drop the wheel out?

I've oiled my chain once or possibly twice in about 2,500 miles.

Even then, I don't think it needed it because it still looked moist and gunky.

Running an all but enclosed chain is different to an open one.

However you look at it, much less oiling is required.

If I waited until the chain looked dry - as some cyclists do - I reckon I would be waiting for ever.

Fixing a puncture has proved OK on my bike, it's possible to lift the chain and Chainglider off the rear sprocket 'as one', or more correctly, it's possible to get the released wheel out from under the chain.

In some ways the Chainglider is better because there's less chance of oily fingers when mounting and dismounting it.

The second time, I managed to hook the chain over the sprocket without touching it at all, although it's quicker to use two or three finger tips to shape the chain for mounting.

The rear part of Chainglider is a C-shaped piece which comes away fairly easily, so that would give easier access to mount the chain on the sprocket.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

I've oiled my chain once or possibly twice in about 2,500 miles.

Even then, I don't think it needed it because it still looked moist and gunky.

Running an all but enclosed chain is different to an open one.

However you look at it, much less oiling is required.

If I waited until the chain looked dry - as some cyclists do - I reckon I would be waiting for ever.

Fixing a puncture has proved OK on my bike, it's possible to lift the chain and Chainglider off the rear sprocket 'as one', or more correctly, it's possible to get the released wheel out from under the chain.

In some ways the Chainglider is better because there's less chance of oily fingers when mounting and dismounting it.

The second time, I managed to hook the chain over the sprocket without touching it at all, although it's quicker to use two or three finger tips to shape the chain for mounting.

The rear part of Chainglider is a C-shaped piece which comes away fairly easily, so that would give easier access to mount the chain on the sprocket.

Great thanks.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

For bikes with very awkward rear wheel removal, you can get inner tubes that are straight with both ends sealed. You can then change a tube without removing the wheel.
http://www.rubenacycle.co.uk/shop/shoplist.aspx?OCT_ID=177604

I remember looking at these before my tour, and if I remember they were about £15 each. A couple of people I spoke with didn't like the idea of cutting out their old tube because they said it was a waste when it might have been fixed at the next rest stop. I suggested just tying up the old tube out of the way until there was more time to take the wheel off. A lot of people just throw away their tubes anyway rather than fix a puncture. I thought these were a great idea for a real emergency like it getting dark in the day or heavy rain and time was an issue.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had an open ended tube to fit my first ebike.

Never had to use it, but it was much bigger and heavier than an ordinary tube - nearly twice the size when packed.

That could be a problem for your adventure.

Another benefit of the Rohloff hub is it's the only gear hub that can use a quick release skewer.

All the Shimano hubs require a nutted axle, which my first ebike had, hence me buying the open ended tube for it.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

I had an open ended tube to fit my first ebike.

Never had to use it, but it was much bigger and heavier than an ordinary tube - nearly twice the size when packed.

That could be a problem for your adventure.

Another benefit of the Rohloff hub is it's the only gear hub that can use a quick release skewer.

All the Shimano hubs require a nutted axle, which my first ebike had, hence me buying the open ended tube for it.

Yes, carrying a lot of weight is a chore for sure, but I'm in no rush really. I'm wondering whether I will be able to send all my camping gear back to the UK once I'm heading over to India, then Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam, maybe even heading to Singapore. That would take a lot of weight off and no doubt make things easier, so I will seek out advice on that one, as I wouldn't want to be left out in the night with not tent if I can't find digs. I'm told by many that they ditch their camping gear for these countries.

When I have toured in South East Asia I carry a 1 season sleeping bag and a Tarp (I tend to use the tarp for most of my trips rather than a tent) I have used both at times when I have not been able to find digs for the night. But if you are scared of creepy crawlies, snakes and elephants oh and the odd tiger I would not recommend it. The sleeping bag comes in handy if the bed in the overnight digs has a lack of cleanness, some of the "hotels" also serve as one-hour happy ending establishments, so they are not always happy to change the sheets every time they are used.. I have found that mosque's are a good p;ace to ask for shelter and you also get a 5.00am wake up call

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

When I have toured in South East Asia I carry a 1 season sleeping bag and a Tarp (I tend to use the tarp for most of my trips rather than a tent) I have used both at times when I have not been able to find digs for the night. But if you are scared of creepy crawlies, snakes and elephants oh and the odd tiger I would not recommend it. The sleeping bag comes in handy if the bed in the overnight digs has a lack of cleanness, some of the "hotels" also serve as one-hour happy ending establishments, so they are not always happy to change the sheets every time they are used.. I have found that mosque's are a good p;ace to ask for shelter and you also get a 5.00am wake up call

:smile: great. So take things anyway I suppose. I have a mozzie net, 2 season bag, tent, tarp, silk bag liner, pillow, thermarest mat. I sound like a real baby hey :smile:. I don't like the small things like earwigs. The big things don't worry me at all, and that goes for people too, it's just the creepy crawlies. If I got an earwig in my sleeping bag you would hear me from half way around the world, and yet I have no problem being on my own in some dicky part of town or around iffy people. Oh, did I mention my camp chair and table :smile:

Dont forget your Malaria pills, cos those mossies will eat you alive if they get a chance, I would try different pills out before you go if I were you because some people react to them, I have bad reactions with mefloquine which gives me the shakes, dizzness and make me feel generally knackered. In Malaysia and Southern Thailand I dont bother with any of them, but in Northern Thailand, Laos and Northern Vietnam I do, I also carry Doxycycline for areas where there is a high leptospirosis problem. Denque Fever can be a problem, it seem to becoming more prevailent in Malaysia at the moment and being a virus there is no treatment, you can only treat the symptoms.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

:smile: some bugs hey. I was in the Brazilian Amazon some years ago, hundreds of miles from the nearest town. I took pills for malaria but that was it. I’ve notified my GP and I’m expecting a call after New Year to have injections and supplies of pills. I have been to Southern India a few times, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia including Borneo and never took anything for Malaria.

But then I really didn’t get out into the jungles on those visits. I will make sure though to take precautions, especially with the likelihood I will be staying in cheap digs, were rats are likely crawling all over everything in the night.

tyreon

Next question: Tell me when you resume your RTW tour,do you plan to return 'to base' as and when 'you feel it necessary',or continue onwards with no fixed plans to return 'home' until you circumnavigate the world?

I understand you returning home thisatime cos of the mech problems. But in the future? Play it by ear? See how it goes? Cycle for 6/12 then return home for a break? Whatdoyouthink?

I think earlier you said 'you were flexible'. In the context you then had it,does this mean you might settle in India,Argentina? Break to try to be a jackaroo? Wotswot? Interested,but don't want to be nosey.

I guess the current mode of thinking is a cyclist does a RTW trip one way,in one go...without returning. Your way is as valid as any other,just wondering what your thoughts ae. Merry Xmas

Top Bottom