Cycling Around the World, Sadly had to return for major repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Defo keep a diary. I had a log of time travelling each day, places stayed and costs (plus exchange rate at time). Then I had a separate diary, I wrote in when I had something I wanted to capture. For updates for those back home I only gave an update about every 4-6 weeks. Remember the journey is mostly for you, and daily updates to back home may detract from that.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Good to see a resolution to the issues by retro fitting a chain.

As I said on your blog it's pretty poor IMO that absent a solution Koga continues to supply the Rohloff-Gates combination on this model, which is only ever going to be used for expedition touring. What's your view of Koga as a manufacturer after all the hassle?

Crankarm

Guru
Glad you finally sorted out your bike. So it was a problem with the Rohloff albeit with the sprocket carrier for the belt rather than the hub itself? Pretty poor of Koga given the bike you bought was is probably one of the best touring expedition bikes on paper. I used to run mine with a chain which was fine but now have belt as I wanted zero maintenance, but have not had a problem so mine must be an older/different type of carrier? Anyway you seem to have negotiated a good deal in getting it sorted. Hopefully you will start off in the new year where you left off. I wouldn't try and do too many miles at first, build up. 206kg is a huge weight to haul on a bike maybe far too much, less is more. I am guessing this includes you? As some one above has said you can always just use Twitter. Maybe do this and if you want to make videos just upload them when you are back and have had the time to edit them, cutting out the less interesting stuff, but this all takes time which you can't really do while on the road very well with pressures to keep riding. It will take enough of your time just setting up the shots to make a half decent film of 5 minutes. Whist you don't want to make films like other cycle tourers maybe check some out to get an idea, but it is time intensive and once you start and have an audience they will expect regular updates. Either you make them for your own pleasure or you make them like many Youtubers do, to make a little pocket money.

jay clock

Massive member
sorry, and the 206 kg? Lets assume you are a solid lad and weigh 120. That leaves 86kg. Lets assume the bike weighs 20. 66 of luggage?

I am doing two months across the USA in Feb and my whole rig inc bike and kit is about 35kg. Camping..... Bike 16, luggage 19. I would add front panniers if doing longer, but nowhere near 86kg. Even if you weigh 140kg you have a bike and kit of 66kg....

Am I misunderstanding. I am not doing this from an armchair perspective - I have cycled across Europe from UK to Gibraltar and do recognise that everyone has a different kit point of view.

CGOAB would be a great place to research if not already done

Lucky sod by the way....

Crankarm

Guru
All credit for giving it a try but you have got a madly complicated set up. You can do it on a much simpler rig. While you are back have a read of some of this https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1p6&doc_id=15431&v=Qa

Hope things pick up soon with the new arrangement

He might have nightmares reading this as William Bennet was robbed and attacked by a drunken madman in Mongolia who had taken him into his home to stay with his family. William needed surgery on one of his hands which he cut trying to escape. Later on he was repeatedly stoned and had many attempts to force him off his bike and steel his stuff by kids or youths in Ethiopia.

These two RTW journals on CGOAB.com are pretty good and could be of help to Stephen.
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1mr&doc_id=3951&v=5nl
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1mr&doc_id=5221&v=1ex

Maybe Stephen should sign up as it is a most excellent site for all things cycle touring. There are some fantastic journals on there.

There are a lot of resources out there to help. CGOAB, Youtube. A little research can save a lot of effort, problems, time and money and make a trip so much more enjoyable. There is always some one who can help, provide up to date information, suggest help. Social media can be such a help unless of course you want to do it all on your own like a pioneer but at some point you will need some advice help.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@John Peel I think I've read some of the criticism of your photos, videos etc. My reaction is to think the people who criticise are very ungracious to put it mildly. There are though many people with excellent experience who can point you in a possibly better, I don't say the right, direction. Advice is free and can be ignored.

I am envious and full of admiration. Such a trip, perhaps not RTW, is something I would love to do but can't see it likely to happen. If it did my story would be limited to posts to my friends on Facebook accompanied by some average photos and the occasional lucky great one. I doubt I could be bothered to do much else.

You're doing this for yourself and no one else. Do it your way, enjoy it your way and take the photos you want. If you feel like reading advice and using it do so. As for those who criticise from an armchair? Ignore them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

What a great story and adventure, I hope all works out well and you enjoy the rest of your trip.

Thank you, its been amazing for me up to now, and with up to 3 years, or even more to go, I feel very luck that I have worked hard enough to put myself in this position. Steve

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

I think it is a very impressive undertaking, Stephen, replaced your duplicate post there .

Thanks, I have just linked that other thread to here.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Great story and thanks you for sharing.get tweeting, now is a better time than ever due to the recently increased character count. I'll definitely follow and share your posts on there, so let us know if you sign up.

Thanks, I didn't know about the increased character count, I have had a Twitter account for a long time under stephenjohnpeel. I rarely post to it because of the limit in characters, not even enough space to throw in the hashtags, but I've just checked it now and its so much better. My preferred is Google+, having a few thousand followers there and some great friends. My social media links can be located on my webpage. Thanks again.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Fantastic story. At least you get to see your daughters at Crimbo.

Thanks, yes, this a real bonus, I'm made up about that. I will be looking at all the kit I have too over winter, and see about scaling it down somewhat. I am kitted out big because I am away for so long. For a week or 2 I could carry everything in rucksack, but being away for so long, I need more stuff, well, maybe.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

He might have nightmares - robbed and attacked - stoned - steel his stuff.

:smile: Its funny, but I have never worried about people, thugs, bad guys/girls, or anything to do with people, and I'm often told that not having a fear of bad people could get me into trouble, but the its true, I really don't have a fear of people. Its not just because I'm as hard as nails :smile:, but I look mean too :smile:. But seriously, my biggest fears are the small things, earwigs being the biggest fear I have. I would go into a real panic if I had one in my tent in the night. I do watch people though, and I very aware of everything around me. I noticed a couple of guys once circling when I was in the Brazilian Amazon, but I stood my ground, give them a look that would curdle milk, and they backed off and I went on with my trek, but I will try to develope a healthier fear.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Followed on Twitter. I’m looking forward to hearing how you go. I’m also a dad to two daughters. I’m a gardener (once landscaper) and I don’t plan to be housebound once they are ready to leave the nest. The overlap in profile is there. Good luck and enjoy everything in your present and on the road ahead.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

@StephenPeel I think I've read some of the criticism of your photos, videos etc. I am envious and full of admiration. You're doing this for yourself and no one else. Do it your way. .

Thanks. I have around 16k followers already across my social media, and although the vast majority of those don't have an interest in what I am doing, there are many that do have an interest. Many that love my daily posts to read each day. I actually like posting them. It can be quite a lonely experience at times on such a long trip, and it sort of keeps me sane being able to chat with others. Don't get me wrong, the loneliness is but a small part, its actually really amazing and I can't wait to return to the road. Actually, my photography is damn good, I have to say, and never get complaints about that. Photography is actually my hobby, and I have some serious kit with me, but weighty.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Followed on Twitter. I’m looking forward to hearing how you go. I’m also a dad to two daughters.

Thank you. Yes, while my daughters were young and needed me around, like you there is no way I could be away for so long, but now my daughters are 22 and 24, have their own homes, boyfriends, jobs and lives, and although we still love being close to each other, and there being no grandchildren as yet, it is my window. You may have to wait as I did, but its worth it.

Top Bottom