Cycling at the Speed Limit: Take the Lane?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Generally speaking: "Yes", but there are a few caveats. On some wider, busier 30mph limit roads I don't bother taking primary as I know there will be a significant number of drivers who will still pass, even if I'm riding in the high 20s. It can also be more challenging to ride in the centre of the lane if there is a cycle lane to the left - you're far more likely to get misunderstood and abused. This should not deter you necessarily, but is should make you consider the consequences.

There are a couple of roads (downhill) in Greater Manchester where I can exceed 30mph if I want, but due to the number of side roads, I tend to stay in the mid to high 20s.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I don't use any roads with that low a limit, so can't answer your question, sorry. I'm assuming your question was serious, and not just deliberately picking an argument.
8mph is the legal limit for a Class 3 mobility scooter on any UK road. If it's bad for mobility scooterists to break that limit, then (by your own logic) it's bad for cyclists too. And car drivers as well, one assumes, but oddly enough they don't seem to agree with your reasoning.

Debade

Über Member
Here are the 'rules' I use for taking the lane. It is the law in many USA state vehicle regulations. "When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, vehicles, bicycles pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes) that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge, subject to the provisions of Section 21656. For purposes of this section, a “substandard width lane” is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane'
(Where appropriate, substitute the right-hand side with the left-hand side).

So, it doesn't matter how fast you are going since cars pass all the time. It is your sense of safety given the factors above and/or as far as I am concerned, my definition of safety at the time. .

damianr

Regular
I have a simple question really, but one that I can't help but feel doesn't have a simple answer.

If you're cycling at or above the speed limit for a section of road, would you take the lane?

I ask because there are a few bits of my commute where I can happily reach and hold the number in the red circle, but I'm not sure if I'm best keeping in secondary, or if I should be taking primary. Obviously I know I can ride in the centre of the lane if I wish, I'm more wondering if I should.
I don't know what the roads are like where you live but I never feel safe hammering along in the gutter at 30mph over all the potholes!

Look to take the lane but just because you are doing 30mph in a 30mph zone don't necessarily do so.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
There's a road near me which is a 30 mph zone, is downhill and bends to the left. I can easily hit 30mph down there and always take the lane as its often unsafe for cars to overtake, this doesn't stop most of them though :cursing:

If the road was wider or was straighter I would keep more to the left, no point annoying people unnecessarily. As others have said it depends.

spen666

Legendary Member
I can't answer your question, because I don't ride above the speed limit. If it's bad for motorists to do that, then it's bad for cyclists to do it. The speed limit is supposed to be an upper limit, not a speed target. :rolleyes:
Of course on most English Roads the speed limit applies to motorised vehicles, not to pedal cycles

OP
OP
E

Exile

Thanks for all the replies. A fair mix of opinions, and all with valid points. At least I know there's not a general "right answer" so i can't be "wrong" about my positioning at speed.

I"ve always taken the lane at certain points on my commute, so I'll probably try taking it on some of the quicker parts of my route where it doesn't feel as safe at 25+ as it did when I trundled along at 15.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Steep downhills make triggering the 30 fairly easy though it's a little boring now they have changed that road into a 20 mph, it's almost impossible not to set it off.

Top Bottom