Cycling awareness courses for bus drivers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GBC

Veteran
Given the upsurge in cycling across the country, it's quite refreshing to see a bus company, Stagecoach, taking their responsibilities seriously. Eminently sensible as well to have drivers who are also cyclists conducting the training.

That probably has something to do with Magnatom (formerly of this parish). Lothian Buses have been hot on the training of their driverd for years and its the only place I've cycled where I would say the drivers are 100% aware:smile:

Reactions: GBC
Good to here that tbh. Fed up of nearly getting taken out by either ignorance, or lack of observation. Today I nearly got taken out yet again by a dozy cager not looking before he pulled out. Had to squeeze between him and the kerb at about 25-28mph, a gap a bit less than twice my handle bars width. Its usually on roundabouts I tend to socialize with the reeper but does anyone else here feel their hobby is gonna be the death of you? I always said life is risky but its frustrating not being able to prevent others putting you at risk.

D

Deleted member 22722

As an ex bus driver myself (some 15 years ago for only about a year) that's good to hear. I remember being shocked at just how little training bus drivers receive before being let out on the roads.

I worked for the major travel company in the West Midlands driving buses all around Birmingham. Although i'd been driving a car for about 10 years and had passed my theory test I was only given probably about 6-8 hours actual driving of a bus before taking my test. And even though I passed first time, with having to learn all of the routes in the garage, prices, location of bust stops etc it's a lot to take in during those first few weeks when you initially start. Having to keep to timetables that were years out of date didn't help as the majority of the time you had your foot to the floor for most of your shift as most of our buses entered the city centre at some point.

I had a small bump (clipped an illegally parked car on a tight turn) after being in charge of a bus on my own within the first hour and by all accounts this is a regular occurence with new bus drivers. Certainly at the garage I worked in all the new drivers were having incidents in those first few months. It still surprises me to this day that we don't hear about new bus drivers killing people or being in serious accidents more regularly.

However, I do believe that generally those bus drivers that do stick it longer term are pretty good drivers and in my experience I don't think I've ever had any issues with buses around my way (granted I don't have to drive in and around Birmingham City Centre during rush hour but I do drive on some pretty major bus routes and busy roads). I also do not generally have a problem with lorry drivers either. All the issues i've ever had are with car drivers being impatient. Being an ex bus driver and now cyclist if there's one thing that i've noticed it is that there are a lot of drivers that really do not want to be behind a bus or a bike and will do anything to get in front of them. It always makes me smile because on my bike I nearly always end up catching up with them and passing them again a little further down the road on my commute.

I never have any issues cycling on a weekend. It's only communting during peak hours do I notice people are more agrresive and impatient.

Most road users are generally courteous to others but the other 5% that aren't will never improve to become better drivers and it's something that we'll have to live with. Unfortunately this government will never take cycling seriously and improve the existing infrastructure for our benefit as the costs are too great and there's no way they can get a return on any money they invest spend. Get Boris Johnson into 10 Downing St and things may improve nationally rather than just in London.

That turned into a bit of a long post :smile:

Reactions: GBC
Top Bottom