Cycling back from a Stroke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dickiedoodah

Hi all, I recently suffered a brain stem stroke and I had locked in syndrome (where most of your muscles shut down) for a few days. I wont bore you with the details, suffice to say it was just over two months ago and I am well on the way to recovering. Pre stroke I was a keen cyclist average about 100 miles per week. I'd like to think I've still got something in the tank at fifty odd years of age and I've been fairly keen to get back to some training I attempted to sit in the saddle the other day and found nothing worked at all. Gone was the strength I had built up over the years I could hardly cycle to my local village just down the road, so I guess I'm just going to have to start from the beginning again. What I really want tips on (and you'll no doubt laugh at this) is how to gain enough strength/ stamina to raise yourself out of the saddle. Its completely gone! Presumably its the thigh muscles need building up, someone has suggested to me try to cycle without the saddle but that's going a little extreme! Any ideas? Also I'd love to hear from anyone who has had a similar predicament just to be purely selfish and know that the cycling will eventually come back as long as I keep practising!

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
Hi There, I have been in a similar situation over last year regarding health etc and was a keen cyclist before. The short version, diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Diffused B-Cell Lymphoma (stage 4) in Dec 2012, 13+ Chemo cycles and 2 bone marrow transplants...(Yes I should be dead) ...

After returning from hospital I could not even manage the stairs let alone ride a bike. My advice is just to take it slow, yes you will have to rebuild again, but the fact you have even managed to get back on the bike is an achievment in itself. I am not a doctor but I would have thought your condition may have affected the muscle memory and co-ordination may feel different and you will have to learn the techniquies for raising yourself out of the saddle again. I returned from hospital in August 2014 and didn't get back on the bike until this summer, so don't be hard on yourself. I didn't think I would rekindle my love of cycling again after the illness because In my mind I felt I got ill because I was pushing myself to hard (in life). Do you really need to raise yourself out of the saddle? maybe just working on core strength will eventually get you there. I have been lucky as chemo has not effected my nerves (sideeffect) and I have lost 2 stones in weight, but I have lost my power for sprinting, but hills are easier. I spent 6 months of 2014 in the same hospital room not moving, all my muscles were wasted.

Take it slow and steady, be inspired (I am) by the fact you have returned from a near death situation and can ride again. You know your body better than anyone but remember we (I am late 40's) are not getting any younger!!! it will take time. I am only managing about 50k a week at the moment, but I am really enjoy it.

Inspired ::: :bicycle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I also ended up severely weakened by illness but have been steadily building myself back up to a good level of fitness over the past 3 years.

The first 6 month period was the hardest and I didn't even attempt to ride my bike at that time. I got my legs, heart and lungs working again by doing lots of walks up and down a big local hill. A friend was working part-time 2 miles up the hill so I used to walk with her to work, or meet her after her shift finished. At first, even getting up there slowly was a real battle but eventually I was able to do it in just under 30 minutes, so averaging 4+ mph which is a decent enough walking speed even on the flat, let alone on a walk gaining hundreds of feet of elevation.

As a result, when I finally got back on my bike after 8 months, I was fit enough to do hilly 15-20 mile rides almost immediately, albeit very slowly. I could probably have started riding a couple of months sooner, but waited until my confidence returned.

So ... my advice is to listen to your body. Push yourself fairly hard when you feel up to it, and back off when you don't. I did 3-4 of my power walks a week with easier recovery days in between. You could do something similar on the bike. Your body will adapt and you will get stronger again.

There is light at the end of the tunnel! Less than 3 years after my near fatal illness (and 2 years after a relapse) I was able to do THIS TOUGH RIDE and the only problem I had was a painful back.

Good luck to both of you with your recoveries! :bravo:

Eagone

At our local Local authority run gym (Leisure Center) there are sessions for people who have been ill, to try and get them their strength and mobility back.

I've seen the people in there who I think get referred from their doctor to take part, not sure if thats an avenue to start exploring.

Plumster

Hi all, I recently suffered a brain stem stroke and I had locked in syndrome (where most of your muscles shut down) for a few days. I wont bore you with the details, suffice to say it was just over two months ago and I am well on the way to recovering. Pre stroke I was a keen cyclist average about 100 miles per week. I'd like to think I've still got something in the tank at fifty odd years of age and I've been fairly keen to get back to some training I attempted to sit in the saddle the other day and found nothing worked at all. Gone was the strength I had built up over the years I could hardly cycle to my local village just down the road, so I guess I'm just going to have to start from the beginning again. What I really want tips on (and you'll no doubt laugh at this) is how to gain enough strength/ stamina to raise yourself out of the saddle. Its completely gone! Presumably its the thigh muscles need building up, someone has suggested to me try to cycle without the saddle but that's going a little extreme! Any ideas? Also I'd love to hear from anyone who has had a similar predicament just to be purely selfish and know that the cycling will eventually come back as long as I keep practising!
I had a stroke Jan 2012 at age 47, I struggled to do more than 500 yards in a headwind at first, but built myself up, lost 4 stone in weight, I still struggle with big climbs as I still have muscle weakness and nerve pain in my right leg but that didn't stop me doing 2 100 mile sportives this year, so just stay positive and keep riding

Top Bottom