Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Went to visit my mrs gran today, 6 miles there. Mrs suggested a new route back............. only an extra mile :biggrin: But I did the route with an extra mile in the same time as the route out. So that's something :biggrin:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Snake Pass: Took @nickyboy's advice and got myself up to Glossop to ride the Snake Pass in both directions while the A road is closed to traffic. A fantastic experience, having the whole road to myself ... particularly on the descents, when you could use all of the road at times to sweep down at speed. Nothing but the sound of bleating lambs, bubbling brooks and birdsong all the way up and over the Snake. Ended up squeezing every ounce of fun I could from this ride by starting in Glossop and riding the steep side first, doing a loop of the lovely Edale valley (with very steep climb out again, followed by a descent of a great gorge into Castleton, before re-tracing my steps past the Ladybower reservoir and back over the Snake via the longer, gentler climb, but into a stiff headwind. Thoroughly shattered by the time I finished, but 47.1 miles of wonderful cycling in the High Peak, and my first experience of the Pennines. I'll be back. Some photos:-

Road Closed (Glossop):
140 Snake Pass, Glossop.jpg

Me at the top .... courtesy of one of a friendly group of cyclists from a club in Sheffield:-
141.jpg

Descending the pass:-
143.jpg

In Edale:-
143B.jpg

The climb back out of edale:-
144.jpg

(Had to stop more than once:-
145 Edale.jpg

Gorge above Castleton:
146 Above Castleton.jpg

Ladybower Reservoir:-
147 Ladybower Reservoir.jpg

Back over the Snake.... View of Glossop:-
148 Glossop from the Snake.jpg

The pass will be closed until the 14th June, so you've all got a chance to ride it yet. Thoroughly recommended. One of the best rides I've done in England.
Cheers, Donger.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Snake Pass: Took @nickyboy's advice and got myself up to Glossop to ride the Snake Pass in both directions while the A road is closed to traffic. A fantastic experience, having the whole road to myself ... particularly on the descents, when you could use all of the road at times to sweep down at speed. Nothing but the sound of bleating lambs, bubbling brooks and birdsong all the way up and over the Snake. Ended up squeezing every ounce of fun I could from this ride by starting in Glossop and riding the steep side first, doing a loop of the lovely Edale valley (with very steep climb out again, followed by a descent of a great gorge into Castleton, before re-tracing my steps past the Ladybower reservoir and back over the Snake via the longer, gentler climb, but into a stiff headwind. Thoroughly shattered by the time I finished, but 47.1 miles of wonderful cycling in the High Peak, and my first experience of the Pennines. I'll be back. Some photos:-

Road Closed (Glossop):
View attachment 90664
Me at the top .... courtesy of one of a friendly group of cyclists from a club in Sheffield:-
View attachment 90665

Descending the pass:-
View attachment 90666

In Edale:-
View attachment 90667

The climb back out of edale:-
View attachment 90668

(Had to stop more than once:-
View attachment 90670

Gorge above Castleton:
View attachment 90671
Ladybower Reservoir:-
View attachment 90672
Back over the Snake.... View of Glossop:-
View attachment 90673
The pass will be closed until the 14th June, so you've all got a chance to ride it yet. Thoroughly recommended. One of the best rides I've done in England.
Cheers, Donger.

Well done on your ride. The climb out of the Edale valley is called Mam Nick and is one of the hardest in the Peak District. The gorge you went down is Winnats Pass, just about the hardest climb in the area (and a rather terrifying descent). I'm off for a ride over the Snake today so hope I enjoy it as much as you obviously did

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Such a nice day, driving to work this morning had me wishing I was commuting again.
Anyway, home, straight out while the sun's still out, a quick 17 miles , Pboro, Whittlesea, Pboro. Side/headwind outgoing but still managed to sustain 18mph for several miles. Side/tailwind homeward, 20 mph cruising at times, worked hard but within myself, got the lungs working....averaged 16.1mph over the 17 miles and happily wasnt flagging toward the end.
Then it occured to me while I was happily looking at my computer....Its highly unlikely ive done 500 miles TOTAL in the last 3 years. Christ, I used to do 3 to 4000 each year.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Whittlingham1.jpg

I had been looking forward to a ride all day today but, when it came down to it, I didn't really fancy it and the early work finish (3pm ish) didn't materialise into a ride until gone 6pm. Well, I say 6pm, a quarter to 7 really.
We had no idea where to go so we said that we'd take the CX bikes and wander down towards the city and make it up as we go from there. We rode down the Marriotts Way, followed the cycle paths in. Stopped and chatted to @StickBouncer and cuddled his dogs, then carried on along the riverside path to a flight of steps. Shoulder the bikes and took them up. Losing weight is all well and good but my bike is dead uncomfy on my rather bony shoulder now I've lost the padding. I have a bruise!
Anyway, we got on the road on Riverside Road and pedalled as fast as possible to the lights where we sat and waited like good cyclists for them to change. Through the new trading and shopping area an up the hill to the tight bend where King Street Joins and was nearly taken out by some numpty with P plates on. I yelled my head off at him and he backed right off, thankfully. When he did pass, it was a very close pass. Maybe he can't see day-glo yellow tops.

From there we headed to Whittlingham and did a lap of the broad. They have put loose chippings and gravel down in several places there so we did just the one lap and then rode up Whittlingham Lane and went under the A47 and got on the road that says "No Through road to Kirby Bedon" There is a way through. Local route for local people. Up the hill, down the other side and back up again then down. Turned right and up the hill at the far end and headed towards Norwich. We had a nice chat with a another cyclist at the junction. He wasn't quite sure where he was as he was new to the area. We told him about the cyclepath back to Trowse and Norwich rather than going straight on and ending up on a 3 lane nightmare of a road. We tried to stay within sight of him so he could see the turning. Again, local paths for local people. The path through the stinging nettles at the end of that road, was interesting in shorts. It brought us out near the visitors centre at Whittlingham and we headed home along the Lakenham cycle path, past Hall Road and the old Cattlemarket, then down through Eaton and past the golf club and then Bluebell Lane and got a shift on as we had forgotten lights. It was still daylight but the sun was low and the cars had lights on so we thought that we should shift our bums.

My garmin device says that we have climbed 333 metres. Once plugged in to my laptop, it says 555 feet. I feel cheated! 22.1 miles in a gentle hour and 55 mins. Great fun. I am ahead for the month and ahead for the year now, so chuffed with that.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, I blame @nickyboy! He planted an idea in the minds of local CycleChatters about the joys of riding a Snake Pass (just about) closed to traffic and the idea took hold.

The sun was shining today and the wind was not as bad as it has been recently so I decided to do a 'Snake sandwich' - Snake Pass from the Glossop side, sandwiched between ascents/descents of Holme Moss from both directions. Now these are both pretty big hills ... Holme Moss goes up to 524 metres and Snake Pass to 512 metres.

The ride nuked my back, and also that of my pal Bill who accompanied me. My heart, lungs and legs were up to the job but my back, neck and arms screamed for mercy!

The route got changed on the way to avoid one steep climb, and this is what we ended up doing: Todmorden, Mytholmroyd, Scout Road, Sowerby village, Triangle, Ripponden, Ripponden Bank, Barkisland, Stainland, Outlane, Scapegoat Hill, Slaithwaite, Meltham, Digley Reservoir, Holmbridge, Holme Moss, Woodhead, Torside, Glossop, Snake Pass, Glossop, Torside, Woodhead, Holme Moss. Holmbridge, Digley Reservoir, Meltham, Marsden, Pole Moor, Deanhead, Ringstone Edge reservoir, Booth Wood reservoir, Pike End, Baitings reservoir, A58, Blackstone Edge, Littleborough, Todmorden.

144 km (90 miles), 3,500 metres (11,500 ft) of climbing in total, some of it very steep, in one case*** so steep that my legs buckled and I was forced to walk!

Elevation profile:

Holme Moss Snake Pass loop profile.gif

Ouch! :laugh:

***The really nasty climb on the West Yorkshire Cycle Route up from Marsden at about 102 km on the profile above. You turn left up under the railway line, left again and the road kicks up, gets steeper round a bend, and then as your legs are getting frazzled by the 20-ish% gradient, you grovel round a tight right hand bend and the road rears up even more steeply, to at least 25%. The road is too narrow for much zigzagging and there is a cobbled strip down the centre anyway which puts me off even attempting to try!

I am worried about the risk of snapping the chain when giving maximum effort on the climb. I have thoughts of an unplanned genitals-to-top-tube interface!

Maybe I'll give the climb another go towards the end of the summer, but I think I would have to get another 5 kilos off my weight and be significantly fitter than I am now to stand a chance of avoiding the 'walk of shame'. Mind you, I would be skipping about 60 km and a lot of climbing next time.

Last edited:

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I had an eventful ride today.

With Velothon Wales coming up a week Sunday, and my climbing still horribly sub par, and not really having done enough mileage this year at all to be putting my flaky body through such challenges, I felt I really needed to head out and do some miles AND hills.

Despite the best advice of the bike fitter who said I should do plenty of small rides to acclimatise to the new setup after my bike fit last week, I went and attempted a 70 miler taking in much of the RideLondon route...

Dressed in my new gear bought for the 3 big rides coming up, and my knee support on my left knee just as a precaution, off I went.

And everything was going fairly swimmingly in some rather nice sunshine until mile 18 when I came off.

So heading wide round a roundabout I went to the left as I usually do to clear traffic, but there was a ridge between the middle lane and the filter lane coming from Cobham, as I crossed it I realised there may well be fast moving traffic behind me so attempted to cross the ridge again, at a slower speed, back to let the traffic flow. Front wheel went straight over, rear wheel went "nah" and threw me off the bike. It was a pretty similar accident to my tramline incident some time ago.

In this picture I would have been coming round and heading straight to my position with the camera...

7fdA4OYl.jpg

Quickly checking the bike (was ok) then my leg (not too ok) I remembered there was a Halfords close by. Went in and asked for some wipes, and they very generously gave me access to their bathroom, medical kits and wipes.

It was sore, but fortunately nothing at all broken. My right wrist hurt quite a bit, and I knocked the inside of my left leg, but the most visible effect was the knee area.

HZoQeOvm.jpg

If this had been a recreational ride I probably would have turned coat and gone home, but this wasn't a fun ride dammit! Decided to carry on...

It was 5 miles later, while I was rather uniquely overtaking 2 road cyclists near Ripley when I realised I hadn't started the Garmin since Halfords.

119460-117532.jpg

Onwards and upwards. Specifically Newlands Corner hill, when my chain fell off the big cassette cog.

NTsOF.jpg

For those that know Newlands, during the steep section there is a left hander. Well it happened 50 yards after the bend, and with no pavement to sort it out, and cars screaming at 50 mph round the bend it was nappy time. Getting started again wasn't easy either!

Reaching the top, I needed some relaxation to ease the woes. So some photos and a cuppa!

0Sez8uel.jpg

gRrDoixl.jpg

1gGfNYpl.jpg

The Newlands descent is normally fun, but there were an inordinate number of German built 4x4s wanting to skim me as close as possible when I should have been safer by being in the middle of the road.

Onto Leith Hill and felt it was a struggle, stopped for a quick breather twice and didn't really feel like I was anywhere close to 2013.

At the top, another breather and photo.

LO1pOqBl.jpg

Must say, every descent from this point on was pretty painful on the right wrist. Was generally ok, but the bumps at speed were not nice. Was certainly feeling this far more than my leg.

Through to Dorking was uneventful, although I did feel the first twinges of cramp in my left leg (always my left leg!)

Had another cuppa at Rykers at the bottom of Box Hill as I needed a water fill up, then onto Box Hill.

When my chain fell off again.

double_facepalm.png

Stupidly I hadn't looked at the L screw after Newlands, and it was fine at Leith so.. Anyway, made an adjustment, and seemed to fix it. I think the crash maybe knocked the dérailleur out of position slightly, as this had already been fixed weeks ago. Strangley post crash, while I had these issues, the shifting generally seemed much better!

Knowing my time up there was already crud, I stopped where the squiggles on the road are, and took a photo, which I don't normally do.

7DPjw5Rl.jpg

The rest of the ride through Leatherhead, Oxshott, Esher, Kingston and back home was pretty uneventful. I seemed to be riding ok on the flat, Kingston hill felt a bit rough, but came home very happy I managed to complete the route, especially with the incidents. Rule 5 was definitely invoked.

The knee held up, though I'd be lying if I wasn't concerned by a few little twinges every now and then near the end. The new gear wasn't torn or marked by the fall and the footbeds in my shoes seemed a natural fit.

Then I loaded up my Garmin to the website and Strava.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTq-VZIwpF18r5n9ZzsLeSx59d9F4wkqwNiFlNwtAGKV-zdMCaz.jpg

First thing I noticed was a PB up Leith Hill! Despite two stops and feeling meh, it was the single best time I've ever done up it! I knocked 1 minute 12 seconds off my previous best, and I've been up it without stopping before!

Then scrolling through I saw the rest on a well ridden route. 15 PB's, 21 2nd best and 15 3rd best personal times.

I never imagined getting even close to one top 3 or 4 times at any point.

One of the biggest changes apart from the bike after the fit, and being back on clipless pedals, was my riding position, where I was told I was too upright, and I should relax the arms more, and push the shoulders back. I spent quite a bit of time focussing on doing this, as it wasn't natural to me yet. The combination seems to have helped massively though, and I do wonder what I could have got up Newlands and Box Hill had it not been for the facepalm moments.

Dead chuffed. Now just need to get something to help the achey wrist tomorrow. Open to suggestions.

69.3 miles recorded, 5 miles missing, 3,671ft climbed at 14.2mph.

https://app.strava.com/activities/318412511

contadino

Veteran
Thermometer teetering around 38 - 39 degrees with a nice warm breeze. A long telephone call with a client who can't make his mind up, and it being Friday, the sensible thing seemed to squeeze in a 25 km loop in an hour and 5 minutes. I've just named the route 'Cedar Circuit' on Endo because it seems to pass an inordinate number of cedar trees. Early afternoon really is the best time to sample their perfume.

Archeress

Veteran
I set out today to cycle my own version of a ride that is published in a leaflet by South Gloucestershire Council. The version in the leaflet did a loop through Winterbourne but did not pass through Bradley Stoke, where I live, so I cut out the loop. I cycled North up through Itchington and Tytherington and then past through the prison at Ley Hill. Up to this point my average speed was quite reasonable, but after Ley Hill I turned West and into the wind which was considerable. The return trip came through Rockhampton and Oldbury-on-Severn (with views of the nuclear power station, boy didn't I pick a scenic route with 2 prisons and a power station on route!), then Littleton-on-Severn before turning towards home and started to climb again.

I decided not to stop at the garden centre at Ley Hill, and not seeing another opportunity didn't stop other than for an occasional breather. At times it did feel a bit like some sort of punishment.

Ride is here: https://www.strava.com/activities/318877675/overview

Hugs
Archeress x

Top Bottom