Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not posted for a bit so won't bore you all with the various commutes but Saturdays club ride was very enjoyable with a good turn-out for both groups and plenty of shiny summer bikes out including a brand new Colnago on it's first run(not mine!);nice tailwind home and a good pace overall with the only downer being an impatient driver nearly skittling some of the group and a noisy white van man;

https://www.strava.com/activities/314693112

Todays' commute was far more mundane;

https://www.strava.com/activities/315994474

Went out for a short 7 mile ride today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/316095203

After going from nothing to 30 mile route within 7 days, and nothing to around 6 hours per week last week. I'm still not recovered. I had intended to do 14 miles, but cut it short, due to plenty of ache in my legs and very windy weather.

So, back to my original plan of 7 - 10 - 14 for this week :biggrin:

https://www.strava.com/activities/316131238

Windy.:eek:

image.jpg

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Oh lordy....29 miles :becool::whistle:..probably my longest ride in over 2 years.
Into Pboro, onto Yaxley, Haddon, toward the radio towers, across to Warmington and back to Peterborough.
Really quite breezy out there but seemed to find some modest shelter in the minor roads. Sunny, showery, windy, a bit of everything.
2 Yellowhammers flitting along in front of me for a hundred yards, 3 Red Kite, one of them really quite big, one green woodpecker etc etc.
Still managing around 15mph average which, all things considered...I'm happy with.
Excellent stuff.

When I did the route last year I discovered that the local council had resurfaced a few kms of the lane with immaculate new tarmac, and without any of those horrible chippings embedded in it. It is absolutely fabulous to cycle down, but I still can't get my head round why they did it! We have busy roads all over the place up here which are in an awful state, and here was road surface perfection serving just a few farms!

It's a special service for high level, very steep things in the Dales and Forest of Bowland, Colin; certainly seems to be ^_^ Many - possibly all - the high level crossings from Swaledale to Wensleydale and also those north of Swaledale have recently been coated with long sections of the same, immaculate and very thick layer of tarmac. Given the lack of cars, it's like having your own, purpose-built, 4m wide cycle track. My speculation is that the tarmac survives relatively well in freeze/thaw cycles, and, more particularly, that it doesn't need top-dressing since the volume of motorised traffic is very low so it doesn't wear too badly. Unfortunately, in the last couple of weeks and including this weekend, they've been top-dressing large tracts of the Swaledale and Wensleydale end-to-end roads, both the 'major' and minor ones along each valley; not remotely pleasant cycling on those right now and for a week or two :-\ (In defence of top dressing, it does have the advantage of being very reassuring when it's worn in, on wet, cold wintry roads.)

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Usual Home-Hospital run.
I went out via Bowthorpe and then up the little hill to ride down to Marlingford and then hooked a left past the mill and then up to the Watton Road (B1108) crossing. Straight over and just kept going until whatever the name of the road that I was on turned into Pocklingthorpe Road and joined up with the Melton Road. I kept heading up it to Tuttles Lane, Wymondham and then rode to the roundabout and to the hospital via the Norwich Road, past Hethersett to the A11/A47 Junction.

I felt a couple of spots of rain as I went through Marlingford but apart from that it was fine and nice. Not best warm but nice all the same.
16.47 miles in an hour and 6 mins so a reasonable 14.75mph average for me, I was pleased with that. Second half much faster than first half and I had a lot of fun. I've got a 300 mile target for this month so need to average 10 miles a day so I'm up on the drag curve so far but today is only the 1st of the month so might need some divine intervention by Wednesday :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's a special service for high level, very steep things in the Dales and Forest of Bowland, Colin; certainly seems to be ^_^ Many - possibly all - the high level crossings from Swaledale to Wensleydale and also those north of Swaledale have recently been coated with long sections of the same, immaculate and very thick layer of tarmac. Given the lack of cars, it's like having your own, purpose-built, 4m wide cycle track. My speculation is that the tarmac survives relatively well in freeze/thaw cycles, and, more particularly, that it doesn't need top-dressing since the volume of motorised traffic is very low so it doesn't wear too badly. Unfortunately, in the last couple of weeks and including this weekend, they've been top-dressing large tracts of the Swaledale and Wensleydale end-to-end roads, both the 'major' and minor ones along each valley; not remotely pleasant cycling on those right now and for a week or two :-\ (In defence of top dressing, it does have the advantage of being very reassuring when it's worn in, on wet, cold wintry roads.)
Yes, the surface was great in the dry conditions we enjoyed on Saturday but it wouldn't be quite so nice in the wet, and especially not in the cold and wet!

contadino

Veteran
Thanks to a bout of insomnia, I had a few spare hours at lunchtime today so with no route in mind I just followed my nose. The temperature is rising here now and it was in the mid- to high-30's, so the gelaterias were calling.

The last few times I've been out, my knees have been complaining a fair bit even on mild hills. A bit of reading and YouTubing gave me a few pointers in how to adjust my posture. For me it seems to be down to two things: Firstly I was sliding forwards on the saddle a bit, and secondly my right knee is a bit wayward - a little too open. I was quite worried about this because I'm lead to believe that I have a genetic issue with my knees. Anyway, the adjustments to my posture made a huge difference. There was still a bit of pain, but that's probably a ligger from my hilly jaunt last week that left me in quite some discomfort.

Anyway, I did nearly 40km before time ran out and I needed to head for my desk, setting a highest average speed for me to date of 23.2kph.

Oh, and the gelato? Frutti di bosco e cioccolato bianco.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Further to my previous, a few extra miles this afternoon, bringing the total for today to 39 miles.
Couldn't evade the rain altogether...the last mile saw me head down, rain lashing into my forehead...bugger, gave me headfreeze it was that hard .:wacko:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
It was cold and windy so the OH decided on a trip to town instead of a ride. I always think in terms of the worst possible weather for the rest of the week so opted for a ride. I'd also decided to fit a bike computer, for those times when the GPS wasn't readable. Having done a 15 mile ride north last week I decided on a shorter one south along the canal towpath.

These flats had certainly shot up since our last venture in this direction, and they will not be cheap.

1.JPG

A little further along a strange noise from the other bank drew my attention. it seemed to be dipping its head down into the overflow whilst making a strange, almost choking sound. I couldn't tell if it was unhappy and it was too far away.

2.JPG

Not far from the flats is this cottage, I know which I'd prefer.
3.JPG

A little further on folk were manoeuvring a couple of narrow boats through the lock. Quite a picturesque cottage here.

4.JPG

The builders of this bridge obviously didn't want the tow ropes wearing grooves in the stonework so iron rails have been fitted. This is an unusually fancy bridge.

5.JPG

In comparison, this is one of the old bridge, well maintained with a nice slope up to it. This was the 5 mile point, where I turned round.

6.JPG

There are some nice properties backing onto the canal here.

7.JPG

This heron was keeping a beady eye on the lock.

8.JPG

At this point the towpath ceases to be a towpath and wanders off to do its own thing. The prettier side of course.

9.JPG

Another heron, allowed me to get just this close.

10.JPG

I can't say tje weather was pleasant, indeed it wasn't and people had dressed up for this 'flaming June' day. It attempted to rain, but fortunately held off until I was home. Quite a few cyclists on the section south of the M25, elsewhere we had dog walkers, even a dog walker with a child in a pushchair, not an easy combination.

10.2miles max 14, avg 6.8 mph. Year to date, 165.2miles

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Sunday's ride, posted today due to business in general..

It was the Norwich 100 charity ride for BHF, with the same route as last year. As has been mentioned in other threads, it was rather damp! :rain: Fortunatly, the rain wasn't too cold though, and with waterproofs on, including overshoes, we stayed warm throughout the day.
The route started from The Forum in central Norwich, and headed out to some lovely quiet lanes and eventually to Holkham Hall were we stopped for a rest, snack and top up the water bottles.
From there, it was a short pedal to reach the coast near Wells Next the Sea. The route followed the Norfolk coastline through Sheringham, where we sustained ourselves with a tasty bag of chips each...

DSC_1253.JPG

Not many braved the beach on Sunday!
From Sheringham, the road wound along the coastal hills Hapisbugh before heading inland back towards Norwich.

DSC_1250.JPG

A bit of sharp flint popped a hole in a tyre and caused us to stop for 10 minutes to fix it. I was surprised how busy the P Fairy was on the ride.. loads of people changing tubes and repairing holes!!

We took our third rest stop at the pub there where a mate got the mechanic on site to fettle with his cleat as his left foot kept getting stuck firm in it. Fun through the towns when we had to stop for lights, peds etc.

DSC_1257.JPG

We'd ridden in and out of showers and quite heavy windblown rain..but were now on the last 25 miles and 'enjoying' a blustery headwind for most of it.
The final few miles into Norwich are along a boring straght bit of road that was fairly busy, but wide enough to avoid close passes.

DSC_1260.JPG

At the finish line, we collected our medals, certificates and free beer coupons, courtesy of Adnams were two of us used our teetotal mates coupon, and a couple of chaps next to us didn't want theirs either!! Result :okay:

106 miles by the time we rode back to the Travelodge we were booked into for the night... Time for a shower and rest before a walk into the old city for dinner and a few more beers.
Great day out despite the weather, and we are planning to do it all again next year.

http://app.strava.com/activities/315600424

:smile:

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Ventured out to the High Street between showers this morning. Despite being very windy, it felt strangely calm on the way into town. Loaded up with paint for Cubs and chicken for tea, I discovered the ride home was straight into the wind, not so calm...
Only 3 miles, but very enjoyable to have a leisurely pedal, and I didn't even wear my helmet:ohmy:

13 rider

Guru
Had to drop the car off for a service the other side of Leicester .Was offered alternative transport but I have a bike. So left the car at garage at set off navigating through town on the various cycleways and byways .Considering I crossed a major city it was a pleasant ride 8.7 miles at 11mph in very windy conditions .Slower average than normal due to shared paths and constantly giving way at junctions. Ride should have been repeated tonight but car needs further work so hopefully will ride the reverse tomorrow . Just off to check my wallet :banghead:A bike is cheaper to maintain

Top Bottom