Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Late post but. Sunday four of us thought we would go and have some breakfast in Cambridge, A nice breeze blowing us out along with a few showers, made good time getting there, found a nice little cafe, A lovely plate full of scrambled eggs and beans on toast washed down with a nice coffee. had a quick look round then off into the head wind for the ride home, took a bit longer to get home but hey ho, was a nice ride with good company.
https://www.strava.com/activities/315749571

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Another late post here. This is Saturday's ride but its taken 3 days for the photos to pop up on the pooter from the camera for some reason.

Just 14 miles on familiar territory here in flatlandsville.

image.jpg

A quiet spot at Reach village. A little further along I was really pleased to see a pair of little owls. They didn't hang around for a pic sadly.

image.jpg

Back on the Lodes Way. Still plenty of water on Burwell Fen to keep the wildfowl happy.

image.jpg

Wicken Lode from the rickety wooden bridge.

image.jpg

We only seem to do straight lines here in the flat country. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but its my patch, its quiet and I like it.

image.jpg

I wasn't completely alone though. Good to see lots of fellow riders out.

image.jpg

I chose the ultra-quiet route for the home straight!

258 miles clocked up for May- must do better in June!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I lay awake last night, and this morning, planning route options for my ride today. Each was distance, hill and bike defined. In the end I got on the RT-58 and turned right out the end of the road, then followed my nose. Kind of planned to get my metric 50 in today, so headed out along Runnymede Please Grounds, lots going on in preparation for the Magna Carta celebrations in a couple of weeks time, including police dogs and a bomb disposal robot. So far it was all slog into wind, and this continued through Old Windsor and Eton. I stopped at The Goswells, formerly slums back in Victorian times, but now nicely landscaped and home to the Jubilee Fountain.
3 June Jubilee Fountain At The Goswells.jpg

Haribo's consumed, I continued into the wind towards Legoland, then back along Albert Road with the wind behind me. By the time I reached Old Windsor I'd done less miles than I anticipated, so figured a couple of loops round WGP would do it. Only one thing stood in the way, Priest Hill. Now, I don't do hills well, and this one I have avoided for a year. Every time I have tried it I have had to stop, excluding the one time I did it in 1 go, but I was only 12 years old at the time. Well today I did it again, and didn't even get onto my lowest gear (ok, I was in the next one...). Pleased with myself for that, I continued into the park. At the 22 mile mark I was feeling a bit worn, so a brief stop for cereal bar and onwards. 2 laps of the park and home saw 31.9 miles (51.3km), so that's June in the bag, and 6 months in a row:smile:

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
With yesterdays planned ride wind & rained off I managed to find a two hour window this afternoon to fit in one of the regular midweek routes around the New Forest.

Heading out into what seems like an almost permanent westerly breeze at the moment, I was grateful for the occasional glimpse of sunshine to warm me up as I took the quiet roads around Netley Marsh, Woodlands & Bartley into the forest. After a couple of little climbs in the wooded areas at Minstead & Bolderwood it was into the more open landscape & across to Nomansland before heading for home via Loperwood, Winsor, Cadnam & Ashurst for a 35 mile round trip.

https://www.strava.com/activities/317373232/

004.JPG

003.JPG

001.JPG

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Had a ride out Epping way this morning, The council had decided to mess the roads up by putting down some tar and throwing stones on it, Ripped my tyres to shreds, Will not be going out that way again for a couple of weeks, hopefully the cars would have flattened it all by then.:wacko: After finding it on the country roads aswell as the main roads i cut the ride short, Not very happy. We will be going out Hertford way tonight, Hopefully they are not doing the same thing. I think it's a ploy to rid the roads off cyclist's in Essex.:cheers: Will be having a beer at the end of tonight's ride.^_^
https://www.strava.com/activities/317343039

13 rider

Guru
A reverse ride of yesterdays to pick up my audi doodi from the garage with a quick detour to a local Aldi to see cycling gear was left .picked up a short sleeved top still full price but only 7.99 .Picked the wrong time to use the great central way through town school leaving time .path was full of teenagers with ear phones in. Anyway three miles of dodging teenagers with out any casualties .8.9 miles completed car all fixed and mot passed wallet a bit lighter .Was nice to use the bike rather than used couresty car, bike now first choice of alternative transport

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Funny commuter riding sort of day today.
I headed the short, direct route to the hospital first off. Kenn had taken the door keys for the first dog walking client of the day, to the hospital with him. A nice nurse popped down with the car key so I could grab the door key and return the car key to him. Then I belted off as fast as I could, up the hill to Cringleford & Eaton and down the Newmarket Road into Norwich. I went down St Stephens Street and around Castle Meadow, always surreal as it's a shared bus lane/bike lane. I know how Gulliver must have felt in the Land of the Giants. Then a quick scoot down Tombland and into the Cathedral grounds where customer lives. I parked my bike in her kitchen and then walked her dogs for an hour.
I was dying for a wee after walking, but client has locked the door from kitchen to hallway (dogs only allowed in kitchen) so I got on my bike and rode 3.75 miles to my Slimming World meeting, where thankfully the loo was vacant. Had the meeting thingy then rode the mile and a smidge home and grabbed some lunch.

12.26 miles all in all in about 55 minutes. A whole 628' of climbing involved today. Not a huge amount but quite a lot for us flatlander types. I took the CX today as SPDs are easier to walk dogs in than road cleats. Oh, my road cleats and cleat covers arrived today as well, so back on the roadie tomorrow (not dog walking, but ready for evening ride)

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I ventured out for a little 15 mile loop this evening in the sunshine, it's a pity that I felt awful. I can't quite catch my breath at present. My asthma is just about non existent these days but I seem to get a little tickle from it at this time of year.

From Hardwick I went down to Toft then on to Kingston then Great and Little Eversden, over the A603 to Harlton and Haslingfield and then you're quite close to these...
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Cambridge University Mullard Observatory, though I could have that slightly wrong, and they're searching outer space for common ducks, who knows? It's all normal for Cambridge!
On through Barton and along to Comberton where I turned right and treated myself to the vertical slopes of Long Road.

http://www.strava.com/activities/317556683

gavgav

Guru
I am off to the Lakes with @Rickshaw Phil a week on Saturday and with recent cycling having been curtailed somewhat due to illness and the dreadful weather, I have set myself a target of 3 hilly rides over the coming 6 days, with increasing lengths.

Tonight was the hilliest 20 miler I can do from my house and some lovely warm evening sunshine for the first time since early April I only needed shorts and t-shirt !!!:wahhey:

I went out to Betton Abbots and then branched off to Berrington, Eaton Mascott and Cound, before climbing up onto Cound Moor and then the very steep climb up Kenley Bank, which I did in my fastest time ever according to Strava segment :dance:.

I then turned left and up to Harnage Grange, before turning into the headwind to Harnage and back to Cound, retracing my steps home in reverse.

Legs felt good and 1000ft of climbing in 20 miles felt a good start to my few days of training for the Lakes. I also passed 500 miles for the year so far.

The only annoyance was that the sunshine had brought out the idiotic drivers and 3 times I met traffic coming towards me on narrow lanes, going far too fast, with no intention of stopping and more intention of running me off the road. One woman in a BMW 4x4 missed me by about an inch and so she was gesticulated at, leading to her passenger shouting something incomprehensible down the road at me. Yeh, whatever, do one loser!!!

Next ride planned is Friday, increasing the climbing and distance.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Unusually, I'm posting today's ride today!

Solo ride this afternoon after babysitting the two grandchildren overnight and this morning. Blimey, I'd forgotten how much time kids need on an minute by minute basis.. :surrender:

I took the CX for a jaunt up Cut Throat lane towards Sywell res, then on to Pitsford.

DSC_1274.JPG

The local library in Holcot was open, but I didn't have room to pick a new book today.
As half term is over, the track around Pitsford Reservoir was fairly quiet for a change, apart from millions of flies!! Luckily, I had had the forethought to wear my buff so I could 'mask up' and avoid eating too many.

DSC_1283.JPG

Down on the waterline. Nice to see the water levels back up to maximum again.

I did several circuits of the res and then decided to pop into the cafe to grab an ice cream..

DSC_1277.JPG

Crushed mini egg, with a flake bunged in the top ^_^

On the final ride round, I noticed a trail running down to the water and was pleasantly surprised to find a decent bit of singletrack through tge woods ther, plus a few jumps built up. I was on tye wrong bike for the jumps, but the new trail was great to find!

After this playtime, I headed home via Moulton village.
An enjoyable 30 miles in great (for a rare change) weather...

http://app.strava.com/activities/317424993

:smile:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A minor achievement tonight with my first 5 mile plus ride since my knee problems started.
The strengthening exercises are finally showing some results so although I'm still limited to a maximum of 30 minutes cycling at a time I managed 5.45 miles in 27 minutes at an average speed of 12 mph (another recent best).
So far the knees dont seem to be fighting back, so not a bad day at all!:okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom