Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The sun came out so I went cocking about, in Cocking.

https://www.strava.com/activities/318950370

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
An appointment on Monday and poor weather on Tuesday meant that I've done 3 commutes on the bike this week but they've been good ones:

Wednesday I did an extended ride in to work going via Acton Burnell, Cressage and Wroxeter in nice sunshine and with a wind direction that helped most of the way. After yet more tinkering with the set up of the bike (very fine adjustments now) I enjoyed a good run home even though it was against the wind the whole way.

Thursday was a nicer and calmer day. I went on the usual short route as far as Atcham where finding myself with a bit of time to spare I went through Attingham Park which was looking especially nice in the sunshine.
For the return trip I took my even shorter route down the main road which was nice and fast but unfortunately the sunshine seems to have brought out lots of aggressive drivers out which spoiled it a bit. The wind direction (southerly) was a big help for the last couple of miles of fast cruising which brought the smile back to my face.

Today I decided to use the Raleigh and avoid the main roads as much as possible so did an extended ride in via Porthill, The Quarry, Sundorne, Uffington and Upton Magna. This was very pleasant and made me wonder why anyone would want to be cooped up in a metal box on such a morning.:sun:
The trip home was against quite a strong wind so was slow and hard work, but the set up changes seem to have worked and the strained knee feels fine.^_^ I realised later that I passed 2000 miles for the year to date on the way home this evening. It's a small thing, but I feel quite glad I was on the Raleigh for this milestone.

Roughly 71 miles added to the tally over the last three days.

Some snaps from this week:

DSC0002293.jpg

I always appreciate the views to the Long Mynd when riding this way, but especially when it's nice like this.

DSC0002294.jpg

Idyllic riding through Attingham Park on Thursday. (The yellow is buttercups.)

DSC0002296.jpg

Another shot in the park, looking up the drive to the hall

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Got rained on and a puncture on the way in to work this morning. Battled 20+ mph winds on way home. Winds are meant to be twice as strong tomorrow. I might wait til Sunday before I go out again.
Have a like for telling us about it, but commiserations for the less than ideal ride. 2015 seems to be the year of wind - will it ever ease off? :unsure:

Well, I blame @nickyboy! He planted an idea in the minds of local CycleChatters about the joys of riding a Snake Pass (just about) closed to traffic and the idea took hold.

The sun was shining today and the wind was not as bad as it has been recently so I decided to do a 'Snake sandwich' - Snake Pass from the Glossop side, sandwiched between ascents/descents of Holme Moss from both directions. Now these are both pretty big hills ... Holme Moss goes up to 524 metres and Snake Pass to 512 metres.

The ride nuked my back, and also that of my pal Bill who accompanied me. My heart, lungs and legs were up to the job but my back, neck and arms screamed for mercy!

The route got changed on the way to avoid one steep climb, and this is what we ended up doing: Todmorden, Mytholmroyd, Scout Road, Sowerby village, Triangle, Ripponden, Ripponden Bank, Barkisland, Stainland, Outlane, Scapegoat Hill, Slaithwaite, Meltham, Digley Reservoir, Holmbridge, Holme Moss, Woodhead, Torside, Glossop, Snake Pass, Glossop, Torside, Woodhead, Holme Moss. Holmbridge, Digley Reservoir, Meltham, Marsden, Pole Moor, Deanhead, Ringstone Edge reservoir, Booth Wood reservoir, Pike End, Baitings reservoir, A58, Blackstone Edge, Littleborough, Todmorden.

144 km (90 miles), 3,500 metres (11,500 ft) of climbing in total, some of it very steep, in one case so steep that my legs buckled and I was forced to walk!

Elevation profile:

View attachment 90764

Ouch! :laugh:
Crikey, that's a very impressive ride, Colin. A brilliant route too, covering a lot of the places we talked about last Saturday. Hats off to you and absolute confirmation of your return to super fitness! I have to admit to being a little envious as I would love to have joined you but unfortunately current work commitments made that impossible. The Cheshire 200km will seem like a 'stroll in the park' to you after what you've just ridden.

gavgav

Guru
My second of 3 planned hilly rides this week, which, after the 1 day Shropshire Summer Heatwave passed through yesterday, was again into a ridiculous very strong South to South Westerly headwind for a good proportion of the ride. At least the sun was out, but that seems to have brought the idiotic drivers out in force this week. We'd had emails galore at work today, telling us to avoid certain roads due to crashes and I'm not surprised with the standard of driving I witnessed this evening. Unfortunately there were also a couple of numptys on bikes I'm afraid to say :sad:, more about them later.

I decided to head down to Cardington, for the first time in 2015 and some proper climbing. Took my usual route through Bayston Hill, where I was almost going backwards due to the wind and also encountered 1st idiot, going up Lyth Hill road, who gave me lots of room which was great, but not for the chap in a Range Rover, coming the other way, who had to brake sharply and swerve to avoid a head on collision :ohmy:. After a brief friendly exchange with the chap in the Range Rover, where we shook our heads at each other and discussed the standard of driving on the roads these days, we went our separate ways and I reached the top of the hill feeling rather windswept.

Descending I had to pull in for a Combine and 6 tractor with trailer convoy coming up the hill :surrender: before continuing to Exfords Green. I then took the Stapleton road and encountered idiots 2 and 3 of the ride, chap in Nissan Navara going way to fast on a narrow bend and skidding into the bank to avoid me (serves him right) and then woman in red roller skate doing about 50 in the 30mph limit Stapleton village, on my side of the road :stop:. I was quite glad to get to dads and have 15 mins chatting to him and calming down a bit.

I continued down to Longnor, and then crawled along in the wind to where the steep climb up Folly Bank begins. Luckily the wind was behind me as I turned to begin the long arduous climb up, but I made it in 1 go :dance:.

I was then just starting the enjoyable descent down the other side, to round the 1st bend and find a cyclist climbing up on my side of the road :crazy:, just as I was about to shout oy, he looked up in horror and moved out of my path! Then about a minute later I turned off at Gretton, and met numpty cyclist number 2, again on my side of the road, but it's narrower here and so I had to swerve and pass him on the wrong side. Had I just teleported to France??

Anyhow, thankfully things calmed down a bit as I flew to Plaish, with a tailwind, but then took some new territory from there up to Broome and boy does it climb back up there!!

There were some lovely views of the Clee Hill and Ludlow areas though
image.jpg

image.jpg

Made it to the top and then headed into the lovely undulating Ruckley valley, passing what I think is the best view in Shropshire, just before Acton Burnell, where you can see for miles and miles towards the Stretton Hills, Welsh Mountains, etc. I've tried to take a picture of it before, but my camera doesn't do it justice.

I then took a regular route back home through Pitchford (idiot 4 passing me around a bend with about an inch to spare), Cantlop and Betton Abbots.

There is a short section on the busy A458 and idiot number 5 was encountered here. I tend to go straight over the roundabout, at the end of the busy road, and then take the cycle path into Sutton Farm, and as I approached the roundabout a knob in a BMW passed me on the right and turned left across my path onto Oteley Rd. Just about finished me off with that one.

Arrived home, glad to still be in one piece, having done 29.2 miles and 1650ft of climbing. I also passed the 3000 mile mark on this bike.

Had a shower and then half way through cooking my tea we had a powercut that lasted an hour and necessitated a trip to the chippy for tea! :hungry:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
My second of 3 planned hilly rides this week, which, after the 1 day Shropshire Summer Heatwave passed through yesterday, was again into a ridiculous very strong South to South Westerly headwind for a good proportion of the ride. At least the sun was out, but that seems to have brought the idiotic drivers out in force this week. We'd had emails galore at work today, telling us to avoid certain roads due to crashes and I'm not surprised with the standard of driving I witnessed this evening. Unfortunately there were also a couple of numptys on bikes I'm afraid to say :sad:, more about them later.

I decided to head down to Cardington, for the first time in 2015 and some proper climbing. Took my usual route through Bayston Hill, where I was almost going backwards due to the wind and also encountered 1st idiot, going up Lyth Hill road, who gave me lots of room which was great, but not for the chap in a Range Rover, coming the other way, who had to brake sharply and swerve to avoid a head on collision :ohmy:. After a brief friendly exchange with the chap in the Range Rover, where we shook our heads at each other and discussed the standard of driving on the roads these days, we went our separate ways and I reached the top of the hill feeling rather windswept.

Descending I had to pull in for a Combine and 6 tractor with trailer convoy coming up the hill :surrender: before continuing to Exfords Green. I then took the Stapleton road and encountered idiots 2 and 3 of the ride, chap in Nissan Navara going way to fast on a narrow bend and skidding into the bank to avoid me (serves him right) and then woman in red roller skate doing about 50 in the 30mph limit Stapleton village, on my side of the road :stop:. I was quite glad to get to dads and have 15 mins chatting to him and calming down a bit.

I continued down to Longnor, and then crawled along in the wind to where the steep climb up Folly Bank begins. Luckily the wind was behind me as I turned to begin the long arduous climb up, but I made it in 1 go :dance:.

I was then just starting the enjoyable descent down the other side, to round the 1st bend and find a cyclist climbing up on my side of the road :crazy:, just as I was about to shout oy, he looked up in horror and moved out of my path! Then about a minute later I turned off at Gretton, and met numpty cyclist number 2, again on my side of the road, but it's narrower here and so I had to swerve and pass him on the wrong side. Had I just teleported to France??

Anyhow, thankfully things calmed down a bit as I flew to Plaish, with a tailwind, but then took some new territory from there up to Broome and boy does it climb back up there!!

There were some lovely views of the Clee Hill and Ludlow areas though
View attachment 90843

View attachment 90844

Made it to the top and then headed into the lovely undulating Ruckley valley, passing what I think is the best view in Shropshire, just before Acton Burnell, where you can see for miles and miles towards the Stretton Hills, Welsh Mountains, etc. I've tried to take a picture of it before, but my camera doesn't do it justice.

I then took a regular route back home through Pitchford (idiot 4 passing me around a bend with about an inch to spare), Cantlop and Betton Abbots.

There is a short section on the busy A458 and idiot number 5 was encountered here. I tend to go straight over the roundabout, at the end of the busy road, and then take the cycle path into Sutton Farm, and as I approached the roundabout a knob in a BMW passed me on the right and turned left across my path onto Oteley Rd. Just about finished me off with that one.

Arrived home, glad to still be in one piece, having done 29.2 miles and 1650ft of climbing. I also passed the 3000 mile mark on this bike.

Had a shower and then half way through cooking my tea we had a powercut that lasted an hour and necessitated a trip to the chippy for tea! :hungry:
Quite eventful then?:whistle:

This Range Rover..... It wasn't black with a personal number plate by chance? Idiot number 1 may have just run our local magistrate off the road.;)

robjh

Legendary Member
On Thursday (which is still yesterday - just) I left work in Coventry about 4.30 and rode north-east through Leicestershire as far as Melton Mowbray. The temperatures were still up near 20°C when I left and stayed warm right till I got home at 10.30 that night.
I went through Brinklow and Monks Kirby first of all, then crossed the A5 to Ullesthorpe, then through Dunton Bassett and across to Great Glen. The Charnwood hills framed my left hand horizon for much of the way and somewhere below in the middle was Leicester but I barely glimpsed it. The best and hilliest countryside lay north of the A6 however, and I followed little roads to Gaulby and Billesdon, then a bit of B-road to Tilton on the Hill, where the land suddenly drops away northwards. I met a group of Syston Wheelers struggling southwards up the hill, and funnily enough i saw the same club at the same spot around the same time last year.
I then switched back to minor roads for a bit and descended via Halstead and Burrough on the Hill, and rode into Melton at about 8.10, in comfortable time to catch the 8.30 Birmingham train. It was 52 miles to that point.
I left the train at Nuneaton just after 9, and finished the day with a brisk 21 miles back to my weekday quarters. It was a beautiful evening with long lingering light and bright orange in the western sky well after 10pm. I arrived back buzzing and cooked myself a meal and drank a gallon of tea before I felt ready for bed.

View from Tilton on the Hill
20150604 Melton M ride (6A-C) Tilton view.jpg

The iron age Burrough hill fort
20150604 Melton M ride (9-c) Burrough hill fort.jpg

Last edited:

BigAl68

Über Member
I had a lovely ride yesterday out on the steel bike. I left Bath and headed to Bristol along the cycle path. I was early enough to jump the barriers as they are resurfacing a section so avoided the A road detour.

Picked my mate in Bristol and we headed out along the portway. Over the river Avon on the M5 Bridge and then up to Portishead for a coffee.

We then took the strade bianchi back along the river to Bristol stopping at the harbourside for beers. It was warm and sunny and there only half a dozen cyclists seen all morning.

Top Bottom