Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Whole ride was in beautiful sunshine but was very very windy, that combined with being knackered from the commuting this week made it a hard ride, but with 105 miles on the clock and the above photos I had achieved my aims for the day.
Agree about the windy .Did you wave going past my house . if you did I ignored you

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Agree about the windy .Did you wave going past my house . if you did I ignored you

Actually I did give a nod towards your house :tongue:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It has taken me a little while but I have sussed it! All you hooligans ploughing up and down Snake Pass will cause the road surface to rapidly deteriorate, thus forcing the local authority into a " Forth Bridge" scenario of never ending repairs!
I don't expect it will ever open to vehicular traffic again! Brilliant!!:notworthy:
We did see quite a lot other cyclists going up and down, especially considering that it was early afternoon on a weekday.

The repairs on the Glossop side were being done to a length of retaining wall stopping the road falling off the hillside!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Out on the CXs today. After work, the sun was shining and I couldn't face boiling my head in a lid so we rode up the Marriotts Way to Whitwell Station, where we stopped for coffee & Carrot Cake (first bit of cake since February) and then rode back again.
23.01 miles in a couple of hours.

Lots and lots of cyclists out and about today, horse riders and dog walkers too. It's great to see so many people using the Marriotts.

We rode in bibs and tee shirts. Sod lycra on a day like today. I am going down the sports shop to price up some baggy padded shorts for non-roadie days.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
With next weeks Wales Velothon in mind I opted to go to work for a while this morning & keep it local & flat(ish) for this afternoons ride.

Setting off after an early lunch, it was yet another westerly wind blowing as I headed up the New Forest through the less touristy villages of Furzley, Landford & Lover to the the northern tip before turning west through Hale & Woodgreen & on to the more popular parts of Godshill & North Gorley.

So far I'd been fairly lucky with the wind as the route had been fairly tree lined, which offered at least a little shelter, but that was all to change once I'd passed through the tourist mecca that is Burley. The road south was open moorland with no protection & on at least two occasions there were messy pants moments as sudden gusts of cross wind very nearly put me in a ditch so it was a great relief when the road finally took a easterly direction & a tail wind for the next ten miles or so through Brockenhurst & onto Beaulieu & then home via Colbury.

The wind & more than a few close passes on what would appear to have been "drive like a dick" day made this not the most enjoyable ride of late but another 54 miles in the bank & I live to ride another day!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/319576651

016.JPG

019.JPG

023.JPG

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I did a dumb thing and left it too late to get my application in for this month's audax. That left me scrambling to find a suitable alternative ride for my Metric Century a Month Challenge ride. After a bit of head scratching and flicking through my calendar I decided to stick with the original planned audax date but fall back on this old chestnut, known locally as the "Bridge and Back". (Sorry I couldn't do the "Over the Hills and Far Away" ride with you, @jembullo. Hope you enjoyed it).

When I asked @Dark46 if he fancied the "Bridge and Back", he seemed keen, so we decided to get up early today and ride Gloucester-Chepstow-Gloucester, taking in the Severn Bridge on the way. I hadn't planned on still aching from head to foot from my Snake Pass ride, though, and really had to ease myself into this one. Was very stiff for the first 10-15 miles, but loosened up nicely after that, and, apart from suffering up most of the hills, I managed to keep to a 15-16mph pace on the flat all day like a metronome. By the time we got to Chepstow (against the wind all the way) failure was not an option, as we still had to get our backsides home again.
149 Chepstow.jpg
Decided to record the crossing of the Severn with photos as evidence of my Challenge ride, in the absence of any Strava data. Fortunately I hadn't yet handed over my camera to @Dark46 before I did a slow motion right flip with pike.(Made the rookie error of starting off up a slope while still in top gear, and ended up tasting tarmac!!!) I was quite pleased with this shot he got of me:
150A.jpg

I returned the favour and got a few shots of @Dark46 on the bridge ...... Don't want to make him too big-headed, but in most of them he was a blur.
152.jpg

Oh well. Signing off for a nap now. This might have been my easiest 100km ride of the Challenge so far, but coming hard on the heels of a 47 miler in the Peak District, the cumulative effect is now catching up with me. Enjoy the sunny weather everyone. Cheers, Donger.
154.jpg

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A rare non-rural ride here today for me. Agreed to help out at a thing called Strawberry Fair in cambridge, holding a bucket for folks to chuck loose change as they arrived, to raise funds for a hedgehog rescue place.

The 10 miles to Cambridge took ages- bloomin' strong headwind!

image.jpg

The Cambridge radio 105 tent. I think the 105 thing is the number of listeners they normally get on a good day,

image.jpg

The bike at the fair.

They let you wheel your bike in to the fair so it gets a thumbs up from me. In fact there were bikes everywhere. I had been dreading going really, as I'm a miserable sod and loathe crowds, but it was great to be honest.

After a couple of hours by the entrance with the bucket now full, I headed off home in the sunshine. (After handing in the bucket if course)!

image.jpg

By the river Cam,

image.jpg

And a bit further along towards Fen Ditton.

image.jpg

Even further along near Bottisham, this stretch is also part of my commute. A wide, uninterrupted cycle path. (In the UK too- there is hope! ) I'm lucky to have a few car free miles like this on my way to work.

A nice 20 odd miles in the sunshine. Although it was fun, I'm looking forward to a crowd free, solitary rural ride tomorrow.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
10 miles after fettling this day, many bikes needing a few things and a choice to be made for next weeks' 100 km. I hadn't counted on the Austro Daimler even being in the running, The Fuji is still awaiting shifters, and the expedition tourer may be a bit large of tire for this event. I wound up choosing the Specialized Sirrus, overall speed, indexed shifting, and non antique braking are all positives for this event, winding through the hill country of the Mackinaw River. Todays ride was a hilly encounter with the usual Kerrick Ridge and a drop through the valley of Six Mile Creek. We'll see what the weather brings next Saturday. This is our period for severe storms in this area, so we'll see what weather happens. I may have to do a metric century of my own.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
I wouldn't normally post my Sunday morning ride as its only a gentle 10 or 11 miles around the local lanes but I couldn't' resist today, sorry.

A couple of miles in & my path was blocked by a horse trailer & here's why.......
002.JPG

A few miles further & I spot another cyclist in the distance stopped & taking a photo of.........
008.JPG

I do love a sunny Sunday morning. :smile:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Yesterdays ride, a quick 21 miles out to Walton and back. Busy social calendar this weekend (for the kids!), so both Mum & Dads taxi services being utilised. Nice to get out early though, before 0800hrs, and first time out this year in shorts and short sleeves. Sorry no pics but it was a bit of a dull all road get it done type ride, not my favourite but I did at least get out.

Simontm

Veteran
Went for a 32 miler this morning. One of my pootling routes Esher-Cobham via Sandy Lane-Ockham-Horsley-Effingham-Cobham-Seven hills-Hampton Court.
Had a nice chat with a fella at Sandy Lane who was heading to Chertsey on his way back to Wimbledon. He says he reads CC so :hello:
On way to Horsley
image.jpg
One youngish guy was constantly standing with every rise -far too much effort for my liking :laugh:
A lovely ride and my av speed has been 16mph 2 days in a row :okay:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
No photos but I did a 54+ Km out and back ride this morning in 2 hours which was quite a good work out as there was a positive headwind on the outward leg. It also made me nice and hungry for the late lunch I cooked when I got home.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've often thought it would be nice to see some photos of your rides in China, Keith ..... but wouldn't want to get you arrested as a spy!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
No photos but I did a 54+ Km out and back ride this morning in 2 hours which was quite a good work out as there was a positive headwind on the outward leg. It also made me nice and hungry for the late lunch I cooked when I got home.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I've ever been to JingJiang, is it nice? I remember quite a few years ago going to Nantong from Shanghai and having to take the ferry across the Yangtze....which probably dates me a bit.

As well as not having access to a decent bike when I'm in China I would be very nervous of the standard of driving. How do you find it?

Top Bottom