Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Same route as yesterday just the other way around and at a very gentle pace nursing a sore knee but there was no way i wasn't going out on this glorious day.

Look at that sky
2015-06-07 09.27.57.jpg

Some of the locals
2015-06-07 09.38.17.jpg

through the back lanes
2015-06-07 09.37.36.jpg

then down on the Quay at Sandwich. I know it's low tide but i could have happily hopped on that boat and stowed away.
2015-06-07 10.01.07.jpg

then back though the bay
2015-06-07 10.03.32.jpg

and back along the beach i spotted @potsy out for a ride
2015-06-07 10.40.37.jpg

May this day never end :sun:

SpaCyclist

Yesterday's ride was the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride with Mrs Spa Cyclist.

The route runs from Wetherby Racecourse to the country park at Filey, taking in the Howardian Hill and Yorkshire Wolds. The weather was bright or sunny, with a strong Westerly/South westerly wind blowing throughout the day. Fortunately this was behind us most of the way - I wouldn't have fancied 70+ miles into the wind. We took our time along the route, enjoying the views and the ride.

The start of the event is staggered, with groups of about 20 setting off at 2-3 minute intervals to avoid bunching in the early stages.

P1030051.jpg

Waiting for the start.

The first part of the route follows the old A1 (now the A168) up towards Boroughbridge, then turns off to cross the Aldwark Toll Bridge over the river Ouse (a bumpy wooden surface). A few miles further on we passed through Easingwold, the Crayke and Sherrif Hutton before turning off to head up to Terrington.

P1030059.jpg

Looking across to Terrington.

This first section was flat or with gentle gradients, so Terrington Bank was the first steep hill along the route.

P1030061.jpg

Climbing up to the summit of Terrington Bank

The lunch stop was in the village of Terrington, with plenty of fuel for the rest of the ride. Afterwards, we rode on past Castle Howard and through Malton.

P1030065.jpg

Cycling through the Howardian hills, with the wind blowing through the crops on the left of the road.

P1030062.jpg

Sitting down for lunch.

After Malton we climbed up Settrington Hill, the hardest climb along the route.

P1030068.jpg

The top of Settrington Hill

This climb was followed by a superb run. About 12 miles slightly downhill with the wind behind us!!! All this and great countryside views, and virtually empty roads. We couldn't ask for better!

P1030071.jpg

Wolds view

P1030077.jpg

Empty lanes

There were a few climbs along the final section to Filey, and one part where the cross wind was vicious, threatening to blow us into the traffic. This was followed with an easy run to the Country Park, which has views over Filey bay, and the finish line.

P1030087.jpg

The finish.

We thoroughly enjoyed the day. I think the organisation of this event is excellent, with helpful marshalls at all the main road junctions, plenty of refreshment stops and return transport for both participants and bikes. In addition, over 30+ years the ride has been running, it has raised over £2.5million for charity.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I was supposed to be doing a big ride with my brother today but he has the lurgy and my chest is still a bit asthmatic and wheezy so I did a smaller ride by myself.
I set out from Hardwick in shorts and short sleeved Jersey at 8.30, the weather was cool, but within 5 minutes I was up to room temperature. The first interesting bird I spied was a dead green woodpecker in at the kerb side, sad. The live birds I saw were buzzards, kestrels, swallows, swifts and yellowhammers.
Down from Bourn and in through the Gransdens until I reached Waresley.
Church-
image.jpg

Not the most pretty Cambs church, but pretty big!
More importantly the pub is on the other side of the road-
image.jpg

Onward to Gamlingay and then up the hill to Hatley where beef shorthorn cattle grazed in the posh blokes parkland.
I whooshed down the hill and turned off for Shingay cum Wendy, full of posh houses!
I told myself I could either stop at Wimpole for tea OR go on into town for some really nice gelato. I told myself it would be tea, but as I went past the entrance to Wimpole..... Up the hill I went. I turned off the A1198 at Longstowe and then followed the route I'd taken on Wednesday night through Kingston and the Eversdens. From Barton I headed into Cambridge to stop here-
image.jpg

For this-

image.jpg

Chocolate hazelnut, mmmmmmmmmmm! It was so good. If you come on next months Cambridge forum ride you can find out too!
I took the long way home via Girton, Oakington and Dry Drayton.
50 and a bit sunny miles, and gelato. What's not to lick?

(See what I did there?)

http://www.strava.com/activities/320158124

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Yesterday's ride was the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride with Mrs Spa Cyclist.

The route runs from Wetherby Racecourse to the country park at Filey, taking in the Howardian Hill and Yorkshire Wolds. The weather was bright or sunny, with a strong Westerly/South westerly wind blowing throughout the day. Fortunately this was behind us most of the way - I wouldn't have fancied 70+ miles into the wind. We took our time along the route, enjoying the views and the ride.

The start of the event is staggered, with groups of about 20 setting off at 2-3 minute intervals to avoid bunching in the early stages.

View attachment 91056
Waiting for the start.

The first part of the route follows the old A1 (now the A168) up towards Boroughbridge, then turns off to cross the Aldwark Toll Bridge over the river Ouse (a bumpy wooden surface). A few miles further on we passed through Easingwold, the Crayke and Sherrif Hutton before turning off to head up to Terrington.

View attachment 91057
Looking across to Terrington.

This first section was flat or with gentle gradients, so Terrington Bank was the first steep hill along the route.

View attachment 91058
Climbing up to the summit of Terrington Bank

The lunch stop was in the village of Terrington, with plenty of fuel for the rest of the ride. Afterwards, we rode on past Castle Howard and through Malton.

View attachment 91060
Cycling through the Howardian hills, with the wind blowing through the crops on the left of the road.

View attachment 91059
Sitting down for lunch.

After Malton we climbed up Settrington Hill, the hardest climb along the route.

View attachment 91061
The top of Settrington Hill

This climb was followed by a superb run. About 12 miles slightly downhill with the wind behind us!!! All this and great countryside views, and virtually empty roads. We couldn't ask for better!

View attachment 91062
Wolds view

View attachment 91063
Empty lanes

There were a few climbs along the final section to Filey, and one part where the cross wind was vicious, threatening to blow us into the traffic. This was followed with an easy run to the Country Park, which has views over Filey bay, and the finish line.

View attachment 91064
The finish.

We thoroughly enjoyed the day. I think the organisation of this event is excellent, with helpful marshalls at all the main road junctions, plenty of refreshment stops and return transport for both participants and bikes. In addition, over 30+ years the ride has been running, it has raised over £2.5million for charity.
That looked like a smashing day, glad we all seemed to have had such great weather this weekend.

jnrmczip

https://www.strava.com/activities/320031456
https://www.strava.com/activities/320136451

So I done my first over 50 miles today ride was nice little bit wet at parts and let's say a little windy but I got there. Explored the ncn 7 which is well sign posted bit confusing with no signs showing how to get on to the river leven but once there well sign posted again. Met some nice people along the way most people nodded or said hello so that brightened up my day. Passed by 2 English men with rather nice castelli jackets on that I may now buy they had to dismount due to muddy pot holes but not a problem for my cx which was good.
20150607_090047.jpg
20150607_075310.jpg
20150607_090042.jpg
20150607_075123.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Only time for a shortish ride this morning, sadly. Crackin' riding weather and I had to be back by lunchtime..... :cry:

I took the CX over towards Cogenhoe, Castle Ashby and on to Sywell. The farm teashop was closed at Mears Ashby so it was a dry and cake-free ride.

DSC_1309.JPG

I did think of popping into the Cafe at Sywell Res, an old Edwardian reservoir, but knew it'd be heaving by the amount of cars in the carpark. Unfortunately, cycling is not allowed there... grrrrr.
I was only a few miles from home at this time and rode through Overstone caravan park and into the woods beyond to Court Farm and cut over the golf course to home.

DSC_1318.JPG

A nice shady trail to wiggle down.

DSC_1314.JPG

The rhododendrons were in full bloom today.

A cheeky 20 miles before w*rk... booooo..

http://app.strava.com/activities/320165330

:smile:

Last edited:

Archeress

Veteran
Just a short little family oriented ride with the cycle club in the early(ish) morning sunshine. The twinning association had some of the French people over from the twin town of Champs Sur Marne over so we hosted a group of about 8 of them on a cycle ride. Regrettably we had to do a very short ride as they were also due at a farewell lunch, so we rode with them down to Cribbs where we feasted in the cafe at Asda! My partner was pleased however as we got more together time, after some shopping we're both now chilling out with the french doors open.

Hugs
Archeress x

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Took cross bike to Richmond park. Driven through in car a couple of times but today was the first time I've ridden there. Did three laps of the road then a lap of the outer gravel path and a bit of trail exploring. Very nice day but next time I will probably take the SS road bike.

Simontm

Veteran
Took cross bike to Richmond park. Driven through in car a couple of times but today was the first time I've ridden there. Did three laps of the road then a lap of the outer gravel path and a bit of trail exploring. Very nice day but next time I will probably take the SS road bike.
I presume it was rammed?

BrynCP

Über Member
Got another 100KM in today. Trying to do these as often as I can. Also was an opportunity to not plan my route ahead and leave some of the route in the hands of my new Edge 1000 :eek:

Headed off towards Market Weighton on my frequent route. Appears East Riding council have decided now is a good time to lay road chippings, and why bother flattening them at all when can just dump them and leave them? A death trap for a cyclist, the entire lot were loose, so I walked the relevant section near Cherry Burton.

I then decided to tell the Edge to take me to Howden via Londesborough and Laytham. A lesson to be learnt, just pegging somewhere near where I want to be is a bad idea, as if I don't ride through the peg, it will tell me about 100 times to U-Turn to go back to it. Other than that, I managed to get to Howden, where I then asked it to get me to North Cave where I knew the route from there. It did well.

63.6 miles altogether, 4hr 16. It hurt today, lack of sleep and poor nutrition during the ride had me tired out at the 50 mile point.

upload_2015-6-7_17-20-42.png

Top Bottom