Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheSoulReaver03

My ride today sucked. I tried inflating the tyres before taking the bike to the service and the inner tube is leaking air. I didn't go anywhere :banghead:

Jayaly

Our ride this weekend was a dinky little one of two and a half miles each way. Notable for us, however, because it was the test ride down to the supermarket with the trailer to see if doing the shopping with the bike was feasible. It sort of worked. Great on the roads, great at the supermarket, manageable up the hill on the way back (no eggs falling out of the back) but a complete bar steward to get the loaded trailer through a couple of barrier rails to the cycle path. Must find an alternative route to avoid them.

Smallest Boy rode in the trailer on the way down and thought every speed bump was hilarious. He grudgingly yielded the trailer over to the shopping for the way back when an opened multipack of McCoys softened the blow.
WP_20150606_11_19_20_Pro[1].jpg

jhawk

Veteran
Our ride this weekend was a dinky little one of two and a half miles each way. Notable for us, however, because it was the test ride down to the supermarket with the trailer to see if doing the shopping with the bike was feasible. It sort of worked. Great on the roads, great at the supermarket, manageable up the hill on the way back (no eggs falling out of the back) but a complete bar steward to get the loaded trailer through a couple of barrier rails to the cycle path. Must find an alternative route to avoid them.

Smallest Boy rode in the trailer on the way down and thought every speed bump was hilarious. He grudgingly yielded the trailer over to the shopping for the way back when an opened multipack of McCoys softened the blow.
View attachment 91223

I too have found the trailer to be much more useful for shopping - as opposed to the panniers. Can't say anything about riding in one though! The lad looks happy with that pack of McCoy's.

jhawk

Veteran
Approaching%20Storm_edited-1_zpsiaeeegze.jpg
Weather again started to approach as I made my way through the countryside toward home. Right on schedule, on both counts.
Storm%20and%20Barn_edited-1_zps6dpjhtvm.jpg
Not a moment too soon. I had time to let dogs out and get all things squared away before the next line of storms hit. They are still going on, as of this writing.
Edit: We received 2.4 inches of rain, between morning and evening storms.

I think my first response to seeing that while out riding would have been "Hoooooooolaaaaaay sh!!!!!!!!!t!" And then making a dash for that there barn.

BSRU

A Human Being
A good 119km ride with 1361m of going up.
A bit chilly in the shade and into the breeze but when the sun finally came out and stayed out it was reasonably warm.

My first +100km since I started a new job. My previous 25 years was spent sitting at a desk writing software so not a
physical job at all. My new job is as a part time home shopping delivery driver for a supermarket, which is very
physical especially the upper body area.
The first week I was in lots of pain in my arm and shoulder muscles.
Now just getting used to it and starting to take advantage of the extra time available to cycle.

A nice view of the hills near Chedworth.
C0011(1).jpg
C0011(2).jpg

No cake so making do with crumpets with butter and jam.

Last edited:

Freds Dad

Veteran
A short 10 miles today around Jodrell Bank with my son. He's been talking about coming out for a ride me but as he doesn't own a bike he had to lend my old one which I have on a turbo upstairs.

A quick change of pedals and adjustment of seat and we were ready to go. As he wasn't too confident about main roads the bikes went in the car and we drove down to Siddington from where we had an easy ride round the quiet country lanes with a stop at Jodrell Bank cafe. I know a 10 mile ride doesn't usually justify a cafe stop but the sun was shining so we decided to pop in for a quick coffee.

He enjoyed it that much he's talking of going out after work on Thursday.

https://www.strava.com/activities/321013379

gavgav

Guru
The 1st day of my 2 weeks off work and so out for my longest ride in 2015 so far. I had company on this ride, with @Rickshaw Phil's Brother Doug joining me. He arrived at 10:00 and the sun was shining nicely, but there was a keen and cold Northerly Wind blowing, so windproof jackets were needed for the whole ride.

We set off along the cycle paths around Shrewsbury and the old canal path to Uffington, before turning left and then climbing Haughmond Hill on the busy Shrewsbury to Newport B road, but traffic was well behaved, thankfully after last weeks experiences!

It is quite a climb up there and after branching off at Haughton we continued to climb up Ebury Hill, into the northerly wind that was to make it hard going for the 1st half of the ride, before some flatter sections to Bings Heath, Shawbury and then out to Moreton Corbet, where we had a brief pause for photos of the old castle ruins (light not great for photos unfortunately)

image.jpg

We continued on to Stanton upon Hine Heath and then more climbing up to Booley and finally Hawkstone Park Follies, which was our destination for lunch. We perched ourselves on their lawns and enjoyed some lunch in the sun, but it was quite cold with the wind blowing. Average speed was slow at 10.5mph due to the wind and climbing.

Me suitably fed and ready for more cycling!
image.jpg

We retraced our route back, but with a downward trend and the wind behind us, made good progress back to Haughton. Doug was really suffering with his saddle and felt he was sat too far back, which I agreed with due to his arms being fully straight when stretching for the handlebars, so we stopped to try and adjust his saddle, but I couldn't get the nut undone! Goodness knows what that was tightened up with.....

We had a brief discussion at Haughton, on the important subject of which pub we fancied a pint in the sun at ^_^. We decided on the Corbet Arms at Uffington and so took the busy road back to Uffington, but traffic was well behaved apart from 1 close pass, which isn't a bad ratio with the amount of lorries and cars that passed us today.

A much enjoyed pint for me and Doug
image.jpg
image.jpg

We then pootled back along the old canal, where we came across a working party, who's sign said "Restoring the Norbury to Shrewsbury Canal" :okay:, look forward to seeing their progress over the coming months, before following the cycle paths back to mine, with a small detour around the estate to tick the mileage over 40 miles for the 1st time this year.

Average speed was dragged back up to 11.1mph with the wind assisted return journey, with 1246ft of climbing in 40.8 miles.

Probably my last ride before heading to The Lake District, on Saturday, unless I get out for a quick ride on Friday.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think my first response to seeing that while out riding would have been "Hoooooooolaaaaaay sh!!!!!!!!!t!" And then making a dash for that there barn.
My sentiments, exactly.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Took advantage of a nice day for my first long ride in a month (fell ill which knocked me out for a couple of weks) - 169Km Blaby - Wiloughby Waterlys - Peatling Magna - Arnesby - KIbworth Harcourt - Carlton Curlieu -Goadby - Welham - Nevill Holt - Stoke Dry - Lyddington - Harringworth - Laxton - Southwick - Cotterstock - Fotheringhay - Nassington - Kings Cliffe - Harringworth - Stoke Dry - Hallaton - Cranoe - Kibworth Harcourt - Fleckney - Arnesby - Peatling Magna - Countesthorpe - Blaby...Phew.... First 120Km ok but the rest was really hard work. Guess I should have built myself up again with a few shorter less hilly rides but I made it..... Photo of the church at Southwick - about 80Km in......

southwick.jpg

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Off down to Gourock, just over 7 mile from home.
Ferry across to Kilcreggan and had chosen a road which goes high over the Loch Long side, I didn't realise how rollercoaster it was.
I was to head on to the Peaton rd when I saw the 16% hill sign, I gave it a go but a third of the way up, I milked it:thumbsdown:
Finally back on to the bike, I looked for the cut-off that would take me on to the military road which would take me above Garelochhead.
A quick swoop down past Finnart, where two boats were unloading oil, the smell sickly in the air..
A few stops along the lochside as the Council lads were patching in places.
I reached Arrochar and turned towards the bottom of the Rest.

I soon dropped down the gears and slowly made my way up this long slog and although a strong breeze was annoying on the last half mile, I reached the top.
A punch in the air!
Fat Boab did it, no stops:okay:
Looking down the Rest (750 x 563).jpg

Food report.
I got a freshly cooked slice and onion roll from the van in the car park,
10/10 for a well cooked and tasty roll.

It was now down the other side and due to an even stronger wing whistling up the glen, I never got as fast as I would have liked, a long haul down Glen Kinglass before heading down the A815 which would take me to Strachur where i stopped and feasted on Ham and Branston sarnies.
A welcome seat (750 x 563).jpg

Off over to run alongside Loch Eck, Holy Loch, Hunters Quay and ferry to Gourock.
Only nine mile to go and another 400ft ascent:thumbsdown:
74 mile..
Strava says over 4,250 ft ascent.
Legs thinks more..

a celebratory cider or two has been downed.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Sundays ride, We did the Cambridge Grand Fondo, Closed road race, Really well organised event loads of people cheering us on, Istarted the ride with my other half we had agreed to ride it together, But she could see i was not to happy riding at her pace, after about 5 miles she said just go and do it and wait at the end for her, So after thinking about it for a second or two i was of, I was a bit worried about leaving her to fend for herself in case of a puncture or mechanical, I had a really good fast ride, but 5 miles from the finish i started to get a stomach ache, i carried on regardless all be it a bit slower, Got to the end across the finish line where they were handing out water so a couple of bottles in hand i waited for Deb to finish, She came in about half an hour later looking a tad gloomy, She had got involved in one of the many crashes, An old boy went down in front of the group she was in and about seven riders went down, she picked herself up and brushed herself of. she has a bit of road rash on her arms and legs, broke the right hand shifter, noticed the chain was of so put that back on, the gear lever did not seem to work but after a few miles she found that if she held it in a certain position she could change gear, The rest of her ride was uneventful for her, But she was pleased to have got to the finish line, We then went and collected our medals and freebie bag, we thought we would have a nice pint to celebrate but the bar was closed, really disappointed with that, so into the car drove back to London, Into our local pub for a nice roast dinner washed down with a couple of beers, Had a great day at a great event.
https://www.strava.com/activities/320710476:okay:

Freds Dad

Veteran
Out again today for the second day running. A ride round the Cheshire Plains of nearly 30 miles with the compulsory stop at Jodrell Bank cafe for coffee.

Apart from the 10 miles yesterday with my son I haven't been out for over 2 weeks and I felt it towards the end despite the route being very flat. I was quite surprised how you can get of the riding habit and the fitness. My goal is now to get out for 5 of the next 8 days despite SWMBO having things planned for us.

https://www.strava.com/activities/321658571

Top Bottom