Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.strava.com/activities/314727694

26 odd miles in the sun today ( bit windy though).

image.jpg

image.jpg

13 rider

Guru
Realised this week I was 62 miles short of 2500 miles since I got my bike in September and with strava 100km challenge for May not completed so the target was a metric century. Out this morning bit chilly but short sleeves and long leggings . Off through Cropston by the back of Bradgate park and out to Shepshed, Diesworth, Long Wharton, Kegworth, Kingston on Soar, Gotham, Bunny, Wysall, Willoughby on the wolds, Grimston, Asfordby, Hoby, Thrussington,Ratcliffe on the wreake, Cossington . At this point I done 52 miles a knew the straight route home wouldn't be enough so turned away from home through Sileby, Barrow on soar, Quorn, Mountsorrel, Rothley ,Cropston and home . 64.8 miles done at an average of 13.9 mph so 4hrs 39 mins on the bike . At home with feet up coffee and cake with tired legs but really pleased with the effort .lovely ride if a bit windy in parts had a nasty headwind for about 5 miles Again loads of cyclists out and about even Had a nice tow from to guys on roadies when into the headwind

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Back earlier than anticipated today.
Rode, the direct and fastest route to Norwich Railway Station to miss the 10:36 train by seconds. Hubster decided that it wasn't his turn to pay for the train tickets after all and the ticket machine does not like, and never has liked my card but I humoured him, the ticket machine spat my card out - twice and then Hubster wandered back at a leisurely pace to put his card in. :banghead: We just got to the train when the doors shut and off it went so we sat on our duffs for an hour waiting for the next one. I was not terribly chuffed.
At Yarmouth - eventually, we headed off to ride the route we were going to ride last week but the Garmin decided that it was going to have a flounce as we stopped for lunch at the Recruiting Sargeant. We had no plans for the RS this week. However, by Ludham, Hubster was knackered so we stopped at Hoveton (people think that it's Wroxham but that's the other side of the river) and got on the train home. Then it was a quick(ish) 4.15 mile ride home, cutting across the city rather than going the direct route as that would have involved the one way system on a Saturday afternoon.

Apparently, we are going to try again next week. I'm getting bored with it now.
Total riding today of 30.59 in around 2 and a half hours.

It's going to pour with rain tomorrow so entering the Norwich 50, on the day (Hubster's idea) is not going to happen, even if they are taking entries on the day. I really don't fancy 50 miles in the pouring rain. It's going to get nice at 5pm ish so I'll go out for a ride then. Nice 20 miler or so.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
After giving up my cup final ticket so that a mate could take his son I was more than a little pleased to see the sun shining this morning, albeit a slightly chilly sun, but at least it was fine & dry.

With the Wales Velothon just two weeks away I had to hit what little we have in the way of hills around here & go over the border into Dorset & Wiltshire yet again on another variation of last weeks ride.

Heading out to the west across the forest was the first challenge due the the westerly wind blowing across the open moorland but thankfully once I hit Fordingbridge there is at least some shelter from the buildings, hedges & trees & the next 20 or so miles through the villages of Cranborne, Sixpenny Handley & Tollard Royal weren't quite so bad breeze wise.

Stopping for lunch at the top of Donhead Hollow it became apparent that the Bournemouth sportive riders were coming up from the opposite direction & given that this is a climb I can now quite comfortably do I'm afraid to say there was a certain smugness on my face as I sat eating whilst some of them puffed their way past me.

Lunch done, it was downwind for a while through Berwick St John & Fifield Bavant until Broad Chalke Hill where I turned back to the south & headed for home, through the pretty village of Rockbourne & back to Fordingbridge & another tailwind back across the forest.

74 miles done, a Thai red curry on the go & the cup final still to come so it could be a good day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/314741588

004.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

001.JPG

martint235

Dog on a bike
4.6 miles of a 100 miler. Set offer hoping the Achilles would behave itself but no such luck. Started making its presence felt within the first mile. Gave it another gentle mile but it was becoming painful rather than niggly. Just got my mojo back too with a 160 mile and 150 in May.

Need to consider how to get to work on Monday.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
4.6 miles of a 100 miler. Set offer hoping the Achilles would behave itself but no such luck. Started making its presence felt within the first mile. Gave it another gentle mile but it was becoming painful rather than niggly. Just got my mojo back too with a 160 mile and 150 in May.

Need to consider how to get to work on Monday.
Like for the effort, hope you fix quickly

surfdude

Veteran
hope its not cheating to do your first 100 miler away from home because its flatter than where you live but i have just finished my first and most likely 100.14 mile ride . took 7 and a half hours of riding with a few tea breaks on the way . brain feels over the moon i managed it . body calling me all the rude names ever invented it can think of and will be repeating them all night and probably over the next few days as well . feeling well pleased with myself .

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
as what @martint235 said above, he was due to join me for a ride through the Kent lanes today. The plan was a blast down to Ashford and back. But he made the right choice by resting up the injury rather then try ride through it.
So...being on my lonesome I decided to change the route to a Surrey and Kent loop. It was reading 8degrees on the temperature gauge at 6.45 this morning, but stuck with the bib shorts and S/S shirt. It was going to warm up later and being on my lonesome, going my own pace meant i would stop little and often.

The cloud cover was a little moody, threatening rain at any moment by the looks of things but they only threatened and were kind to me by not throwing any of the wet stuff about.

The Pilgrims Way
300515 Pilgrims2.jpg

More Pilgrims Way
300515 Pilgrims.jpg

Leigh nr Tonbridge
300515Leigh.jpg

Lake and Oasts at Fairbourne
300515 Fairbourne.jpg

West Malling waterfall.
300515 West Malling.jpg

The Quintain at Offham
300515 Offham.jpg

A really nice ride. I'm not one for riding solo. I get bored of my own company very easy. But today's ride was a really enjoyable one. The first half was very brisk leg spinner to Yalding for a stop to stuff my face with egg and bacon sarnies x2 and tea x2 and a can of Diet Coke x1. All for the princely sum of £8.50.

The second half, well what a contrast, from Yalding to home there were plenty of ups, ups and more ups including a nice 12%er straight after lunch (which felt nice) and a totally mad, on the hoof, voluntary 14%er over the Kent Downs. I must have lost my mind... let along my lungs along the way.

A well deserved rest when I got home with copious amounts of tea supplied by the ever lovely Mrs Ian
300515 Rest.jpg

So, 112 and a bit miles for the day. Blooming marvelous.
300515.jpg

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Managed to double my measly total for 2015 to 30 miles yesterday, but very pleased in clambering up a hill in 2min 21 to appalause from a crowd awaiting a cycle race; last November the same hill was toiled up in 6min 1. Proved that whilst not out on the road spending 20 mins most days on an indoor trainer has paid off.

13 rider

Guru
Short ride first to Rothley station tea rooms to meet up with @Supersuperleeds to take possession of the cyclechat jersey .Got to the tea rooms 4 miles from home slightly damp ordered coffee and cake
2015-05-31 10.59.01.jpg
Very nice . got a text from @Supersuperleeds saying he was in tea room ,looked round the tea room and thought I'm the only cyclist here. Went outside and I saw @Supersuperleeds on the platform in a different tea room quick wave and we were soon sitting chatting drinking coffee. So we then set off for a short ride together . Off down millionare row (the ridgeway Rothley) and through Swithland round the back of Bradgate park up pass the golf course and turned left at the crossroads and headed down Sharply hill in to Newtown Linford and home to Anstey for me and left @Supersuperleeds to head home .Would have like to have rode longer but yesterdays metric century was in my legs and the weather was yuk just drizzle. Really nice ride and nice to meet a local fellow ccer . Anyway the jersey makes it to my house
2015-05-31 12.55.02.jpg

Ready for its next trip to Derbyshire if I'm allowed over the boarder into the foreign lands

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
as what @martint235 said above, he was due to join me for a ride through the Kent lanes today. The plan was a blast down to Ashford and back. But he made the right choice by resting up the injury rather then try ride through it.
So...being on my lonesome I decided to change the route to a Surrey and Kent loop. It was reading 8degrees on the temperature gauge at 6.45 this morning, but stuck with the bib shorts and S/S shirt. It was going to warm up later and being on my lonesome, going my own pace meant i would stop little and often.

The cloud cover was a little moody, threatening rain at any moment by the looks of things but they only threatened and were kind to me by not throwing any of the wet stuff about.

A really nice ride. I'm not one for riding solo. I get bored of my own company very easy. But today's ride was a really enjoyable one. The first half was very brisk leg spinner to Yalding for a stop to stuff my face with egg and bacon sarnies x2 and tea x2 and a can of Diet Coke x1. All for the princely sum of £8.50.

The second half, well what a contrast, from Yalding to home there were plenty of ups, ups and more ups including a nice 12%er straight after lunch (which felt nice) and a totally mad, on the hoof, voluntary 14%er over the Kent Downs. I must have lost my mind... let along my lungs along the way.

A well deserved rest when I got home with copious amounts of tea supplied by the ever lovely Mrs Ian

So, 112 and a bit miles for the day. Blooming marvelous.

If you ever get fed up of cycling can I have first dips on that bike?

Top Bottom