Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archeress

Veteran
Cycled over to the last session of CBT at North Common. Been seeing the therapist for 3 months now, and I'm feeling better but I'm nervous of the future.

The cycling was good, although hard going in the stiff breeze. It was cooler than I thought it was going to be so at Warmley, I put my arm warmers on. The Bristol to Bath path was terrifically busy with kids and parents out on bikes and also walking.

Coming home, I popped into Tesco to pick up some pasta sauce and saw the Magnum ice creams were on offer so had to come home with a couple of boxes.

Ride is here: https://www.strava.com/activities/313515986

Hugs
Archeress x

contadino

Veteran
I headed off with a route in mind but it started looking distinctly like a storm was brewing, so I had to improvise. The wind was blowing up a bit, so the 1st 25km felt pretty tough, but after that it was great.

You know those times when it feels like your bike just glides along with minimal effort? That.

Stopped off at the cemetery to see a friend's new resting place, then futered around looking for a way through to my neighbourhood.

48km. Low average speed. Enjoyed myself.

gavgav

Guru
One of my regular evening routes, up Lyth Hill and over to Exfords Green, Stapleton, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Cantlop and Betton Abbots.

Nothing much to write about other than it was :cold: and the ridiculous strong, gusty swirling wind was blowing yet again and into my face for the majority of the ride, including most of the sections when it should have been behind me :wacko:

Oh, and I saw a Peacock at Exfords Green and it shouted at me!!

21 miles

So today was my 3rd time on the bike.

I had done 7 miles on Sunday, 14 miles on Tuesday, so it was only natural to proceed to do 30 miles today :biggrin:

I went to visit some friends in Macclesfield (from Warrington), I struggled with the last couple of miles as I forgot how hilly Macclesfield was! But 2hr 27 minutes isn't too bad for 3rd time out in my opinion!

https://www.strava.com/activities/313785105

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterday ride, a per usual..

I met up with a mate at Windhover pub for an easy ride up the old railway and canal banks to Foxton Locks for an ice cream.
The weather was a bit changeable, with a few drops of rain and heavy looking clouds scudding across the sky, but we managed to keep dry, though a bit windblown at times.

DSC_1187.JPG

I got there a few minutes before him, so watched a snails racing up a stick.... I'm easily amused you know..

DSC_1191.JPG

The entrance to the unlit Kelmarsh tunnel, about 320 yards long. Yes, there is light at the end..

DSC_1196.JPG

One of the swing-bridges at Foxton Locks.

DSC_1200.JPG

Always polite to have an ice-cream at the destination. :okay:
It was quite busy there as it's half term for the kids and a great place to visit for the canal history and the two flight of five locks, plus restaurants and pubs ec. We had a chat with some boaters while they were waiting to be called up by the lock-keeper. Lucky folk live in Hunstanton in the winter and cruise the canals all summer. I could manage that lifestyle very easily!

DSC_1204.JPG

Back over the canal crossing and ready for the ride back home, the same route we'd ridden there on.

Only a couple of issues, both in Market Harborough, were encountered. One BMW driver who thought that the idea was that we were supposed stop for him so his progress wasn't impeded by pointless and un-BMW friendly STOP signs and white lines. That was on the way there. On the way back , riding up the cycle lane on the main drag through, I saw a nearside car door start to open at some red traffic lights. Time for me to apply the brakes as the rear passenger flung his door open and jumped out of the car right in front of me. Lucky I wasn't on a motor bike or going much faster of he'd have got a few bruises!

55 leisurely miles to keep the legs in trim for the Norwich 100 this Sunday :bicycle:

https://www.strava.com/activities/313502758

:smile:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
H2HviaCity.jpg

Home to Hospital for Hubster meeting again (Even I am bored typing those words). I took a different route as the Bawburgh Road is closed for some reason or another and I couldn't face going up the Dereham Road - cycle path or not - to drop in to Bawburgh the other way.
I went down the hill and didn't get on the Marriotts Way at all, but carried on over the bridge and up through Hellesdon. I went right through the middle of Hellesdon, in fact and did 18mph in the 20mph zone and was obviously going far too slowly as I was close passed, at speed, by several cars who then turned off to the shops. They must have been very desperate for a Premier Stores pasty.
I then headed off past the Airport Industrial Estate, up Fifers Lane past what used to be RAF housing and then down the hill and stopped in front of the bike box as it contained a large white Merc. Another cyclist joined me and the Merc driver thought that he would have 'a word', the other cyclist chap pointed out that his car was in a BIKE box so was currently defined as a pratt-box and told the guy to 'smile for the camera'. Merc driver decided that discretion was the better part of valour and got back in his car. I went off towards the city while other cyclist went up around the ring road.
It seemed to be National Oblivious Pedestrian day today. I swerved around quite a few, including one bloke who shoved his toddler out in front of me. The PX has good brakes in the dry. Maybe bloke didn't like toddler, I don't know.
I picked up the cycle-paths and thought that I would be a good girl and follow them through the city to see if they will take me anywhere near where I need to go. I did quite well until I got to Duke Street where the cycle-path just vanishes after about 20 yards, leaving me walking - with road cleats - up the narrow pavement the wrong way on a 1 way street. As soon as I got to Colgate the cycle-path just reappears only to vanish again half way up St John's Maddermarket and then reappear again at Pottergate. I then turned up Willow and then doglegged past the City Hall and Library to Theatre Street and round the back of the Chapelfield Mall and then on to Chapelfield itself. I then took my life in my hands and belted over St Stephens roundabout and turned right at the supermarket and navigated my way, safely on to the Cycle path again and down to Hall Road industrial estate and on to the A140. To be fair, St Stephens roundabout is not as bad as it was, now they have banned cars from the main street there.

I headed down the cyclepath at the side of the A140 and then realised that I couldn't get across to the right hand turning lane. I managed to filter in to the traffic without too much bother and turn right for Keswick - where it started to pelt down with rain - and then right again to Cringleford, up past the vets, over the A11 crossing and to the hospital. I was a little early so, despite the rain, I added the little Cringleford loop on to make up another couple of miles. That was a bit interesting too. I followed the cyclepath down the one way road - opposite the oncoming traffic, it's all no entry at the top, except for bikes and pedestrians. Out of habit when the pavement cyclepath ran out, I did a shoulder check to the left, only to see some filthy great Merc (another one) bearing down on me at speed. Not sure where he thought that he was going. He had difficulty getting out the other end too, so just drove over the central, kerbed island and then round the roundabout and back out. What a peckerhead. Foreign plates. The oncoming bus driver looked a bit surprised.

An hour and 10 minutes moving time for 15.55 miles so rather pleased with that, especially as I had walking bits. Soaked to the skin but such is life. I knew that I was getting a lift back home and that the power shower works. It did take me a good half an hour to defrost enough to pick up my guitar though.

Attachments

• H2HviaCity.jpg
    H2HviaCity.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 46

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Planned 14 miler turned into 20 this morning, just beat the rain.

I was over in Glasgow helping my daughter move flats and had some spare time this afternoon so I went for a wee pootle on one the public hire bikes. i cycled round the West End for a while dodging the showers. The bike wss quite comfy and the gears made the hills easy. I got up the hill in great George Street with ease albeit a bit slower that Geraint Thomas in last yesrs GWG.

Top Bottom