Cycling before the internet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Whilst perusing Wiggle I remebered life before the internet (shudders). I think my bicycle knowledge during the 80's came from Richards bicycle book, The Complete Book of Bicycling and The Freewheel catalogue which I think sold Madison stuff.

I've still got some Madison Pakit panniers and a handlebar bag, still good to go. What happened to Madison and when was the last Freewheel catalogue? And where did you all get your knowledge and stuff from back then or before (assuming you were cycling in the 80's :biggrin:)?

yenrod

From some aged books in the library.

OR breaking the bike myself and learning the 'dont mess with what aint broke' saying...many times.

:biggrin:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Internet ordering is so much better. Remember the "Allow 28 days for delivery" when you ordered by post?

If it doesn't arrive next morning now we are coming on here and bitching about never useing so and so again as they are so slow.

bonj2

how did people ever get to know about things like clipless pedals before the internet was invented?

edit: well the internet was probably actually invented before clipless pedals, but you know what i mean. What about people who haven't got the internet? I think we should perhaps put leaflets on bikes and through doors to get the message out. Otherwise they're never going to find out!

Noodley

The 80s? I used my bike for my paper round, and for buggering off up the glens at the weekend. (I wish I still had that bike. It was "loaned" to someone in the family and probably got skipped. A repainted blue BSA which used to belong to my mum's cousin who was a roadie.) What more did I need to know? I didn;t even know anyone else who cycled. Actually I "knew of" others who cycled in a club, but they were "serious cycilsts" and "really old"...I am now a member of this club and still one of the younger members 25 years on!!!

Apart form the Tour de France on channel 4 I knew nothing about cycling (some things never change :biggrin:) - I sometimes wish it was still like that: half an hour highlights every night for 3 weeks in July, little awareness of scandal, Robert Millar winning the polka dot jersey, not a care in the world.

Noodley

Smokin Joe said:
Internet ordering is so much better. Remember the "Allow 28 days for delivery" when you ordered by post?

If it doesn't arrive next morning now we are coming on here and bitching about never useing so and so again as they are so slow.

There was something about "28 days etc..." If it arrived before the 28 days it was always a bonus. Nowadays, as you say, if it ain't delivered next day it's a hassle for some people. Hark at me and my "glory days" :biggrin:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Noodley said:
..... and for buggering off up the glens at the weekend.

Ah yes! I discovered the joys of day rides about then and attempted my first tour using homemade canvas panniers being unable to afford proper kit. 3 of us set off, poor and ill equipped. We actually carried tins and potatoes in our panniers :biggrin:. Lots of broken spokes, a broken brake and a collapsed wheel later, we'd gotten about 60 miles and there we stayed 'till our money ran out.

I also began watching the Tour in the eighties too. Remember Millars efforts well and Roches' amazing recovery ride. Cracking stuff.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Posting cheques off to companies advertising in 'New Cyclist' and that weird cycletouring one that had glossy covers, but the inside was like newsprint...
All this used to be fields, you know...

simoncc

Before the internet I got most of my cycling knowledge from fellow cyclists. I still do.The best new innovations in cycling for me happened pre-internet - cylcle computers, clipless pedals and STI, and I had no problem finding out about them from other cyclists and magazines. I use the internet mainly to find out prices so I can bully my LBS into matching or bettering them.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Crackle said:
Whilst perusing Wiggle I remebered life before the internet (shudders). I think my bicycle knowledge during the 80's came from Richards bicycle book, The Complete Book of Bicycling and The Freewheel catalogue which I think sold Madison stuff.

I've still got some Madison Pakit panniers and a handlebar bag, still good to go. What happened to Madison and when was the last Freewheel catalogue? And where did you all get your knowledge and stuff from back then or before (assuming you were cycling in the 80's :sad:)?

This was EXACTLY my world!
IIRC Madison are a distributor, but I don' think there's much mMadison kit about. Remember "Revel" bikes were in the Freewheel Catalogue, and for tourers lusting over one of those special Huret long-cage derailleurs...

I still have my "Richards Book" and it was my Bible, it's where I read about fixed-wheels in about 1983, so I went out and converted my bike...it was great...I was sooo retro then....and I still have it!

In London, the commuting kit of choice wa usually a 531 Claud Butler, or Dawes tourer, Green Karrimor KS100E panniers, toe-clips 18c tyres and leather soled or cleated cycle shoes...Tudor woolly leggings and Jerseys!
We wore balaclava's and ski-goggles in the winter!
The first hard-shell helmets were coming on the scene...nasty white jobs they were too.

The London Cycle campaign held it's first rally in C. London, the only Demo I ever went on, it finished in Jubilee Gardens and the special guest was Ivor Cutler, who also cycled...I had a chat wioth him...a real hero!

Richards book inspired me to do my first 100 miler, my first tour and to do all my own maintainance.

The 80's wre a good time to start biking...it was all so simple.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Fab Foodie said:
I still have my "Richards Book" and it was my Bible

Now did you have the unedited, how to deal with dogs' section. In which he advised strangulation and suffocation or the rapidly revised stuck on page one (probably worth a fortune now) or the properly released new edition with slightly less 'controversial' advice.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Crackle said:
Now did you have the unedited, how to deal with dogs' section. In which he advised strangulation and suffocation or the rapidly revised stuck on page one (probably worth a fortune now) or the properly released new edition with slightly less 'controversial' advice.

YEP!
And how to shove a bicycle pump down a dogs throat, plus, how to pull its legs out sideways to crush its heart...very few pointers on how to cook your dog once you'd killed it though. Very remiss.

Top Bottom