Cycling Biographies/Autobiographies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

normgow

Guru
Also try "In Pursuit of Stardom" by Tony Hewson, the Golden Era of bike racing seen through the eyes of three pioneers trying to break into that world.

If it's not out of print "Watching the Wheels go Round" by Barry Hoban, which IMO covers the last part of the Golden Era of bike racing like no other.

Plus "Tomorrow we Ride" by Jean Bobet, not just about his famous brother but an almost philosophical work on bike racing and life.

Tris

I have just read Laurent Fignons book and really enjoyed that/

ammwhite

I enjoyed Chris Hoy's autobiography. Also enjoyed both of Lance's: "It's not about the bike" and "Every Second Counts". Currently reading Robert Penn's "It's all about the bike" (not a bio tho) and enjoying it. Got Cav's "Boy Racer", Obree's "Flying Scotsman" and "Put me back on my bike" waiting - not sure which to read next! Also read Mark Beaumont's "Man who cycled the world" but that was a bit dull.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I actually enjoyed Paul Kimmidge's Rough Ride more than any other cycling biography or autobiography. Other readers seem to think he's just a bitter whinger, who was more limited by lack of ability and drive rather than an unwillingness to use drugs, but he's certainly a good writer.

Similarly, Willy Voet's Breaking the Chain is quite an eye-opener. He wasn't actually a cyclist; he was a "soigner", who was caught with a boot load of performing-enhancing drugs. He seems to have been cut loose by the industry after his arrest. It seemed to me he was getting his own back, and making some money by writing an exposé of professional cycling's drug culture.

crisscross

I was up til 3.30 this morning reading Wiggins' "Persuit of Glory."

Had a familiar ghost written feel about it but pretty enlightening and moving in parts.

My fave though is French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour De France by Tim Moore

Top Bottom