Cycling Clothing for the Larger Cycling Gentleman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
I am an ex Rugby player, 106KG, and cycling clothing is generally on the small side anyway. Bibshorts, shoes, gloves, etc are generally OK, but I sometimes struggle with jerseys, gilets and jackets.

Any suggestions or experiences on brands/makes/suppliers ?

TIA, the Lardster.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not sure on your budget etc, but these guys make up to a 4X (48-50" chest) and very inexpensive

http://www.cycle-clo...ar/jerseys.aspx

They do bottoms too

These guys have a good rep and also go up to 48-50" chest (and bigger in some stuff, e.g. jackets)

http://www.tenn-outd...#cycle-clothing

ohnovino

Large Member
SportsDirect jerseys are on the large side. Their sizes are more like those of "normal" clothes, so the XL really is extra large (and I think they do an XXL too). They're not great quality, but not bad for the price.

Norm

Tenn Outdoors (again! I've posted about them three times recently) go up to 4XL although I reckon a lightweight like you won't be needing the largest size. :biggrin:

I've got 3XL gilet and a couple of shirts and they are a good size for me (and I'm about 120kg :blush: ). Love them so much that I've had three more long-sleeved shirts delivered today. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Lard Armstrong

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
Thanks chaps, good advice.

I bought a Tenn Winter jersey ages ago, but it's a bit woolly and the zip is exposed and leaks water and wind. Norm, based on your enthusiasm for Tenn, I will have another look at their current range.

Cheers.

Falwheeler

+1 for Cycle Clothing. I've had some nice tops from them, 'tho there clearance lines can be a bit misleading, prices are good but when you check them out few or no sizes available but the quality of what I've had as been excellent in my experience

Norm

Thanks chaps, good advice.

I bought a Tenn Winter jersey ages ago, but it's a bit woolly and the zip is exposed and leaks water and wind. Norm, based on your enthusiasm for Tenn, I will have another look at their current range.

Cheers.
Someone on here mentioned their SCafe fabric, made from recycled coffee grounds, and most of their stuff that I've bought has been made from that, specifically Octane and Sprint long and short sleeved tops along with the gilet. Although they aren't water- or windproof, they are pretty warm and the zips seem fine. They've survived the standard use and abuse. I'd suggest the Sprint over the Octane as the phone pocket is larger.

I've also just received a long sleeved winter-weight "race jersey", although that's still in its wrapper so I can't pass any comment.

I am an ex Rugby player, 106KG, and cycling clothing is generally on the small side anyway. Bibshorts, shoes, gloves, etc are generally OK, but I sometimes struggle with jerseys, gilets and jackets.

Any suggestions or experiences on brands/makes/suppliers ?

TIA, the Lardster.

Hi Mr Armstrong,

What size are you...waist and chest size?

It's possible clothing from Shutt VR may suit. It isnt snug fitting lycra but merino wool and polyester and the designs are a little more flattering

This is a link to their sizing guide

If they do fit its nice bonus they are made in the UK too.

OP
OP
Lard Armstrong

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
Hi Mr Armstrong,

What size are you...waist and chest size?

It's possible clothing from Shutt VR may suit. It isnt snug fitting lycra but merino wool and polyester and the designs are a little more flattering

This is a link to their sizing guide

If they do fit its nice bonus they are made in the UK too.

Thanks....I am 117cm chest, which is at the top-end of their sizing. Do you happen to know what the fit is like ? They look great.

Thanks....I am 117cm chest, which is at the top-end of their sizing. Do you happen to know what the fit is like ? They look great.

It's on the non-snug side so it gives a better chance of being good for you. The best guy to ask about the sizing is Peter Bragg - Peter@ShuttVR.com he knows the patterns the jerseys are cut to. Or give them a call. The shorts are height specific - what I mean is they are designed with lots of give for a big range of widths so you buy the size for your height.

Top Bottom