Cycling etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
Interesting.
Thanks for all the comments.

Obvs have no visual evidence to back up my viewpoint: my family were in the car, & my perspective was that there was a LOT of room & that the outer cyclist was being a twit in waving his hand at the car in front. We laughed at why he was doing that: it was unnecessary. If it was that bad, wave at me too: there really was no danger of us being close to him.
There was absolutely no “squeezing them to the kerb”.
They were fully Lycra-wearing racing bikes (not a slur: I often wear similar, albeit on my hybrid - just a comment they were not ‘beginners’ wobbling up the hill). His arm-waving antics just gave me (a cyclist!) the feeling that he looked like an entitled prat, & I suspect that kind of cyclist is the sort that many non-cycling motorists get hacked off at.

Who knows. I’m quite a cautious cyclist, but with some years of experience…..

icowden

Veteran
Ultimately, the question I always ask myself (and ask other more selfish drivers in my head) - is it worth the time and effort to do this. Is waiting for a minute the end of the world? The answer is always "no". Once the way is clear I can accelerate my car just by moving my right foot. On a bike, the amount of effort is huge. I'd much prefer that motorists were patient with me on the bike, so I am very patient with bikes when I am in the car, whether or not I have the "benefit" of a tit in a w**kpanzer (BMW) behind me.

The worst bike overtake I ever saw was in my hometown earlier this year when I was driving to collect my wife from Weybridge. Following a bike up Terrace road (quite a quick chap too - 18-20mph average speed). Chap in the w**kpanzer all over the back of my car, a couple of beeps of his horn. Terrace road is narrow due to the pavements being converted to "cycle lanes"*, so you can only safely overtake a bike if the other side of the road is clear (it wasn't). It's also pointless as you almost always get to a queue for the lights at the high street where the bikes overtake you again. Anyway... Eventually Mr Panzer loses his proverbial shoot, slams his foot down for an overtake only to find he is head on with a car going the other way, so he does the only sensible thing. He drives onto the wide pavement cum cycle lane and drives down that for about 30 yards before swerving back across the road and resuming his spot behind me (luckily as if he had got in front of me he'd have probably maimed the guy on the bike). Best bit of Karma was when he shot off right down a rat run, I just followed the main road - lo he appeared again behind me as I turned in a leisurely fashion onto Walton Bridge (although he did then cut me up with a left hook and sped off down by the river, giving me the opportunity to get his license plate).

I did inform the coppers, but without any dashcam, witnesses or CCTV I don't think they will have done anything.

*the type that are no good for cyclists over 12 years old

Wooger

Too many "grey areas" in this scenario to make a decisions on who should have done what, but with no harm done to either party, an excellent learning experience for both sides to improve matters should they be faced with a similar scenario in the future.

What is it you think is arguable? If you’re crossing the centre line when there is oncoming traffic you’re the problem, wait till the oncoming lane is clear.

Sharky

Guru
What is it you think is arguable? If you’re crossing the centre line when there is oncoming traffic you’re the problem, wait till the oncoming lane is clear.

I'm not arguing for either side. I wasn't there and no independent evidence. In my mind, I can conjure up scenarios where either party could be in the wrong or acted differently.

Top Bottom