Cycling Europe - Map questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Andy in Sig said:
If your navigation systems don't turn out to be girl proof and you end up on the Danube by mistake, I'll put you up for the night.;):biggrin::biggrin:
I'm actually wondering, having had a chat with BOAB about it, whether I'm underestimating how much cycling I will do in just under 3 weeks. The Moselle to Trier is only 200k from Koblenz and I'm getting the train to Köln from the Hook of Holland to start off there. Current plan is to cycle all the way back to Rotterdam/Hook, rather than getting the train, but if I'm covering huge amounts of ground daily I may do some of the Main as well. Somehow I doubt I'll make it as far as the Danube this trip so you're probably safe!

Plus I'm not very girlie in terms of navigation and can actually read maps and things (although I do have to turn them upside down if I'm going south). So I would imagine, armed with a battery of Bikeline books, that I ought to be able to find my way. How hard can it be? (Must remember the charger for the Garmin...)

On another note, I'm thinking in order to strike up conversations with nice passing cyclists (that's cyclists that I'm passing, you understand; no-one will be overtaking me, of course) that I ought to have some kind of indication of my nationality/languages that I sprechen. I'm thinking of streaming a Union Jack and a German flag from my trike flagpole. Do you all think this is a reasonable idea?

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
It's almost possible to ride Germany just by following the radweg schilde signposts as long as you dont want to deviate off the radwegs, which you will.... dont rely on it..get a good map...

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Helen,

I think you have underestimated the amount of ground you will cover but that doesn't really matter because ... you will just cover more ground! The Main is lovely and my recommendation would be to take the train to Lichtenfels (it would be a crime not to see Vierzehnheiligen although you might have to push for the last two hundred yards) and then you get to stay in Bamberg, which has to be one of the loveliest towns in Germany.

An alternative is to go down to Mannheim and then up the Neckar for a bit.

The flags thing is a good idea and I bet you'll get loads of people striking up conversations with you on your ice cream stops.

snorri

Legendary Member
Auntie Helen said:
I'm thinking of streaming a Union Jack and a German flag from my trike flagpole. Do you all think this is a reasonable idea?
:ohmy:Careful!!
It is bad form to fly two national flags on one pole as the upper flag is considered superior, therefore you will offend nationals represented by the lower flag. If you wish to fly two national flags then two flagpoles will be required.:sad:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Andy in Sig said:
The flags thing is a good idea and I bet you'll get loads of people striking up conversations with you on your ice cream stops.
It's probably likely to be Kuchen und Tee stops for me (I shall bring my own teabags, of course).

I suspect if I get on well with this tour I'll do several others so I need to leave some opportunities for other routes. I'm trying to avoid train travel if possible as I imagine it'll be a bundle of laughs with my trike panniers filled to the brim. Still, I could take a Weekend Ticket somewhere exciting if I get bored of the Rhine/Moselle.

andym

Über Member
I wondered about carrying a flag, or flags (met a couple of Welsh guys on tour last year and it seemed like a good idea). Anyone know of a supplier?

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
That's just my question! I'm hoping to get a UK flag in London somewhere at one of those cheap touristy shops; I have a German flag somewhere from the World Cup. But I'd quite like something made of plastic, like you get in bunting, but Ebay seems not to be very helpful here!

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
snorri said:
:ohmy:Careful!!
It is bad form to fly two national flags on one pole as the upper flag is considered superior, therefore you will offend nationals represented by the lower flag. If you wish to fly two national flags then two flagpoles will be required.:blush:
I have two flagpoles so I could do that! Twice the opportunity to put my eye out when walking round the back of the trike, too!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I find just using bike paths can become a bit boring especially if they bypass all the towns and villages. It's best to mix it up a bit although the bike paths in Germany are a delight in general.

Top Bottom