Cycling for pleasure...in the midweek

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
I often go out in the midweek evenings, even after the dark nights draw in.
Are you all cycled out after your daily commute or do you also go out just to enjoy the ride in the evenings?

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I commute in, go out at lunch time, commute home and then I might go a fourth time too!

This weeks riding schedule has gone very wrong, so I might go out for an hour this evening to try and catch up.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Two of the local cycling groups has evening rides that I join. I rarely ride alone in the evenings as it's much more enticing to stay home when others are here :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
When I didn't commute, I'd go out in the evenings. Commuting, then it was commute, or extended commute.

Once I'm fixed, my plans are off road MTB at night, or Zwift on the turbo, and weekend rides mainly on the MTB, and possibly road eventually.

OP
OP
SuperHans123

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
One thing I notice in the winter is an almost total lack of roadies when it gets wet/cold/dark.
I am usually on a cycle track (Swansea seafront) but see a lot of roadies on the main road between Mumbles and Swansea in Spring/Summer as well as down the Gower.(I ride a Kona Dew Hybrid)
I guess they go indoors on those turbo things when it gets nasty.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
One thing I notice in the winter is an almost total lack of roadies when it gets wet/cold/dark.
I am usually on a cycle track (Swansea seafront) but see a lot of roadies on the main road between Mumbles and Swansea in Spring/Summer as well as down the Gower.(I ride a Kona Dew Hybrid)

I've got to admit that a cheeky midweek ride is much more likely to be on the hybrid, especially if it's getting dark, as it means I can do some off roading / bridleways and keep out of the way of the myopic commuters in their cars who are focused purely on getting home. I've got lights on the road bikes, but the roads local to home are no fun at rush hour.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Frustration as the nights draw in as I am banned by SWMBO from solo night (dark) riding due to an accident last year. Luckily she hasn't twigged (yet), it is dark when I leave in the morning. Words will probably be said when it is dark when she gets up around 7am.

Katherine

Guru
I will be going out one evening a week all winter. You just have to choose your route carefully. I am quite close to a dual carriage way that has a separate cycle path so I often use that in the dark. Yellow cycling glasses work well against the car headlights. The only problem I have is with commuting cyclists coming towards me with blinding flashing front lights on their helmets.

screenman

Legendary Member

Most of the roadies I know put in 150 to 200 miles a week in winter.

Jimidh

Veteran

Nope roadies like myself do a lot of off road gravel rides and MTB during the winter plus cyclocross.

Top Bottom