Cycling from Gloucester to Bradley Stoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archeress

Veteran
Hi, I'm thinking of taking the train to Gloucester and then cycling back along NCN41. I was wondering what the surface is like on the path from Gloucester to Frampton? For cycling that sort of distance I would want to use my road bike. It has Gatorskin road tyres fitted, can anyone advise whether it is doable on a road bike?

Ta, hugs
Archeress x

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I've wondered the same thing myself during speculative route considerations.

Checking again, I've just found that google streetview has found a way onto the path!

Doesn't look road bike friendly, at least not this bit.

Edit: Looks a little better south of Frampton, which is the critical bit to avoid the A38.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
[QUOTE 3807905, member: 45"]I've just ridden the A38.[/QUOTE]
Doable, yes, but not particularly pleasant.

OP
OP
Archeress

Archeress

Veteran
Yes, was hoping to take NCN41 down to Frampton, then Slimbridge, Berkley, Littleton on Severn, Tockington and Almondsbury.

Hugs
Archeress x

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I've ridden the bit between Frampton and Slimbridge. Doable on a road bike but often times there are walkers, kiddies and fishermen to take account of. Mostly chunky gravel. The A38 alternative isn't very pleasant but I've done that too. The rest of the Sustrans route is lovely

the_mikey

Legendary Member
It's hard to avoid the A38, you can take the lanes via Saul and Frampton on Severn but you will be ejected onto the A38 again until Slimbridge where you can take the lanes again via Berkeley, Ham, Rockhampton, Thornbury, Tockington then Easter Compton.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Doable, yes, but not particularly pleasant.

It's OK once you're past Gloucester to be honest. Quite wide, and actually fairly quiet as most folk are on the parallel M5
The tricky bit is if you try to start from Cheltenham, where you can't avoid the nasty dual carriageway bits

EDIT - above referring to the A38

Last edited:
Top Bottom