Cycling glasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
When I purchased my new ordinary vary focal glasses from specsavers I wanted the same prescription in sport glasses Unfortunately they didn’t have that style of frame Having received good.reports on Optilab I opted for them and sent a copy of my prescription.Had a call from Optilabs saying that the info re pupil distance was not on the prescription.Rang Specsavers asked for the relevant information.Took my name and relevant information The person I spoke to then said he didn’t think he could give that information over the phone and would call me back after he had taken advice in ten minutes,that was at 9.15 this morning.Still waiting for that call
Fortunately it’s not difficult to do after Googling the process.It’s just annoying as the service I received from Specsavers for my every day glasses couldn’t be faulted

Gillstay

Über Member
Wanted to buy some small batteries for an old boys hearing aid and Specsavers wanted my personal details before they would let me buy them.
I got awkward in front of several customers and they changed their mind, but like you, did not want to have to get annoyed.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Wanted to buy some small batteries for an old boys hearing aid and Specsavers wanted my personal details before they would let me buy them.
I got awkward in front of several customers and they changed their mind, but like you, did not want to have to get annoyed.
I still get batteries free from my local surgery for my own hearing aid.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Is that because they are a prescription item, so free in Scotland.

If so, are replacement batteries on prescription available for privately sourced hearing aids as well as NHS?
No idea but I imagine only NHS ones tho’ nobody has ever asked me whether I am private or not.

mikeIow

Guru
The PD measurement appears to be the last bastion of “data we won’t give you after your eye test”, in a desperate attempt to keep your business 🙄

It is pretty easy to do….& I have ordered several pairs of varifocal specs off t’internet once you have that data.
Optilabs were pretty decent a few years back. Might get an up to date eye test and reinvest in some over 2022…

Last edited:

iluvmybike

Über Member
Is that because they are a prescription item, so free in Scotland.

If so, are replacement batteries on prescription available for privately sourced hearing aids as well as NHS?
Not for privtaely sourced aids. I now have NHS prescribed aids and get a suppy of batteries foc - prior to that i had a private aid and just had to buy the batteries - but if you go online you can bulk buy very cheaply

mpemburn

I used SportRx for mine (Tifosi Dolomite). I’d ordered them originally with transition lenses which absolutely did not work (never got dark), and they replaced them with regular polarized lenses with no fuss. They also have some magic that makes it possible to see in low light, so I even wear them on cloudy days.

The nice thing about these is that the are anti-fogging, something that’s a big issue on the hot, humid days that are the norm around here from late Spring through early Autumn. They’ll fog when I stop, but clear up almost instantly when I start again.

Jody

Stubborn git
The PD measurement appears to be the last bastion of “data we won’t give you after your eye test”, in a desperate attempt to keep your business 🙄

The PD measurement is part of the service you pay for when having glasses fitted professionally by a dispensing optician. It's not part of the test itself.

I paid a staggering amount of money for some Rudy projects (£270approx) from extreme eyewear. Have to say worth every penny.

I'd tried all the budget options - without ever being totally happy. Optilabs were the closes - but they put the bend in the frame rather than the lenses - they did look a bit big - and a bit daft when I took my helmet off.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Place a ruler horizontal across your eyebrows. Stand up,straight looking ahead. Have sometime face you straight on and take a picture. Load photo into any software that allows you to draw straight vertical lines. Draw two lines, one each through pupil and ruler and read off the readings to get PD.

mikeIow

Guru
Place a ruler horizontal across your eyebrows. Stand up,straight looking ahead. Have sometime face you straight on and take a picture. Load photo into any software that allows you to draw straight vertical lines. Draw two lines, one each through pupil and ruler and read off the readings to get PD.
Yup….it is pretty straightforward…..& even easier with a friend to help!

The PD measurement is part of the service you pay for when having glasses fitted professionally by a dispensing optician. It's not part of the test itself.
Oh, I don’t dispute that…..but I struggled to find specs I liked where I had my eye test. I failed to find any in a couple of others, and ultimately discovered online opticians happy to send frames for trying, & found mine like that. Then I clearly had no professional fitter to measure me 🤪. Maybe they could measure them for a tenner!!

Did it myself, and with the online guarantees, got two decent pairs of varifocals at a fair price that fitted just fine 🥸

Jody

Stubborn git
Then I clearly had no professional fitter to measure me 🤪. Maybe they could measure them for a tenner!!

Did it myself, and with the online guarantees, got two decent pairs of varifocals at a fair price that fitted just fine 🥸

It certainly works for some people and saves money.

My partner is an optician so I see the value in the service they offer. From a dispensers point if view, it's more than just measuring a PD and adjusting the arms.

Top Bottom