Cycling GPS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anonymous

Regular
Hi,

I drove the "cycling route" provided by Google, just to test how the commute is like, and how safe the Google way is. Google wanted to send me on national speed limit roads, so I thought "Nope. Turn around to the start"

In my car, I then put the TomTom on, and chose the bicycle route, and I only got 30-40Mph roads, with a few cycling lanes. That's great and everything, however with both these options via the phone, it seems like it would seriously kill my battery which is a bit of an issue. (TomTom do have an app) I'd also need to mount my phone on some waterproof mount. If said mount also allows it to be charged via a power bank, then that's good..

If not, I'd look into a cycling GPS. I had a look at the Garmin ones. They don't seem very intuitive. The touchscreen on the TomTom also helps tbf. What I really like about TomTom is how clean the UI is. They don't appear to sell any more GPS watches anymore..

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt. Don’t be drawn in by touch screens that don’t work well with wet fingers. My Bolt has got me everywhere I needed to go and lasts for many hours on a charge. You can use a paired phone for extra capabilities should you need them.

OP
OP
A

anonymous

Regular
Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt. Don’t be drawn in by touch screens that don’t work well with wet fingers. My Bolt has got me everywhere I needed to go and lasts for many hours on a charge. You can use a paired phone for extra capabilities should you need them.

I'm guessing it won't direct you to national speed limit roads? Is it also intuitive? Can you save locations?

OP
OP
A

anonymous

Regular
Ahh. It's black and white. That may cause an issue for intuity

View: https://youtu.be/H3Mv-KQ1f4g

I don't need something "serious" Just something that gets me from A to B without killing me

vickster

Legendary Member
Ahh. It's black and white. That may cause an issue for intuity

View: https://youtu.be/H3Mv-KQ1f4g

I don't need something "serious" Just something that gets me from A to B without killing me

None of them will avoid A roads unless you opt for off road (as A roads are legal use for cyclists even if some are perhaps ill advised). Use your eyes to check the signposts for motorways and no cyclist allowed A roads!
With the Wahoo you really need to plan in advance. The on the fly routing via the app isn’t very good (it wanted me to go down a hidden bridle path).

it’s really down to you to get from A-B safely. Most big A roads offer some sort of cycle path

where are you commuting from and to, someone on here may be able to advise. Or you could use a map to plan in advance (then ride the route at a quiet time to check)

DSK

A few folks at work have a small bag like unit with a clear top pouch for phones, mounted to the front end of the top tube. like these

Personally if you can warrant the use (and therefore cost), I'd probably go for something like the more bike specific units being mentioned such as the Wahoo etc.

OP
OP
A

anonymous

Regular
None of them will avoid A roads unless you opt for off road (as A roads are legal use for cyclists even if some are perhaps ill advised). Use your eyes to check the signposts for motorways and no cyclist allowed A roads!
With the Wahoo you really need to plan in advance. The on the fly routing via the app isn’t very good (it wanted me to go down a hidden bridle path).

it’s really down to you to get from A-B safely. Most big A roads offer some sort of cycle path

where are you commuting from and to, someone on here may be able to advise. Or you could use a map to plan in advance (then ride the route at a quiet time to check)
I'm travelling between Headingley, Leeds and Burley in Wharfedale, Ilkley. Also, yeah I did go on A roads but then part of it became a dual carriageway

OP
OP
A

anonymous

Regular
A few folks at work have a small bag like unit with a clear top pouch for phones, mounted to the front end of the top tube. like these

Personally if you can warrant the use (and therefore cost), I'd probably go for something like the more bike specific units being mentioned such as the Wahoo etc.
I did see the Mio.. Could those pouches also fit a 10000mah battery pack?

rivers

How far can I go?
something like a wahoo elemnt bolt or garmin would suit. Pre-plan the route using the info you have from the Tom tom with something like ridewithgps.

DSK

I did see the Mio.. Could those pouches also fit a 10000mah battery pack?

I can't see why not as I have a few of those power banks at work, mine are early ones so like a modern smart phone in bombproof case in terms of size. I always read each review for something I'm researching/looking to buy and they usually will have real world answers to what you seek.

OP
OP
A

anonymous

Regular
something like a wahoo elemnt bolt or garmin would suit. Pre-plan the route using the info you have from the Tom tom with something like ridewithgps.
How would you do that? I've looked at the Mio, and it appears to be fairly intuitive? What's also wrong with me using my phone, attached to a power bank in a pouch?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If this is a regular commute then surely you won't need gps guidance after a couple of trips? I would avoid buying something that will be redundant after the 1st week.
Amen. A phone is the way to go for occasional use, especially with an app like osmand that only switches screen on for turns.

Planning on the web and uploading to the bike will give better results. Sites like HTTPS://cycle.travel and www.cyclestreets.net can put a barn of computing power onto the problem, unlike a phone. (Google could too but they're so poor, I think a cyclist nicked the CEO's coffee or something)