Cycling GPS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

anonymous

Regular
Amen. A phone is the way to go for occasional use, especially with an app like osmand that only switches screen on for turns.

Planning on the web and uploading to the bike will give better results. Sites like HTTPS://cycle.travel and www.cyclestreets.net can put a barn of computing power onto the problem, unlike a phone. (Google could too but they're so poor, I think a cyclist nicked the CEO's coffee or something)
How would you "upload to the bike"?

As @I like Skol says you probably don't need a GPS unit... Yet.

What you need is a good route planner.
https://cycle.travel/map is, in my opinion the best for quietest options, not necessarily shortest.

From the route it generates you can create cue sheets or download a gpx to use in a free app like OSMand, Komoot or RWGPS. Unless your commute is massively long battery life won't be an issue.

Remember, bike gps units are inherently different to car units. Some bike gps units can generate routes, but they are generally poor. Bike gps units are at their best when paired with good planning software or apps.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You can just use your phone and a powerbank. Get a quadlock, its the best securing method I have found. But to get the optimal safe route, you need to do a bit of work on a routing app. Just opting from A to B on a routing app will not cut it. It will get you to your destination. But not necessarily on the safest roads.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How would you "upload to the bike"?
It varies by system. On my phone, I share the GPS file to it, tap it in the downloads list and it offers osmand as one of the apps to open it with. I think most sat nav apps will be offered as a choice.

If you have a GPS unit, I think uploading by USB (the device appearing like a data stick when plugged in) or wifi using an app on the PC are most common.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
There is also a device called a Beeline. You choose your destination on the app on your phone and you can either choose to follow a route mode or you pick roads of your choosing while it is in compass mode.

Wahoo ELEMNT is also cheaper than the Bolt at the moment. That is an amazing device.

Or you can run the RWGPS app on your phone (favours bike friendly roads) which was would be attached to your bike with a Quadlock which is utterly brilliant.

OP
OP
A

anonymous

Regular
You can just use your phone and a powerbank. Get a quadlock, its the best securing method I have found. But to get the optimal safe route, you need to do a bit of work on a routing app. Just opting from A to B on a routing app will not cut it. It will get you to your destination. But not necessarily on the safest roads.
The TomTom app did?

Spartak