Cycling helmets on tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
Don't use a helmet, but carry one on tour.You never know if Traffic Police or local ones in town decide it's been a quite day and flag you down. Use it for stuff like this.

PXL_20221125_151759582.jpg

PXL_20221125_152331042.jpg

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Is this clickbait? I am not sure why we would need to know what you do with your helmet.

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Have any of you been to Spain? They have 2 rules for helmets. Another is that very few deaths are avoided by wearing a helmet quite a few studies have found out. A car or lorry will make mincemeat of you if its a bad collision. As far a I am concerned a helmet is a fashion accessorie forced upon us by the Health and Safety fanatics. I can see why Big Sportives events insist, it's all down to insurance.

Have any of you been to Spain? They have 2 rules for helmets. Another is that very few deaths are avoided by wearing a helmet quite a few studies have found out. A car or lorry will make mincemeat of you if its a bad collision. As far a I am concerned a helmet is a fashion accessorie forced upon us by the Health and Safety fanatics. I can see why Big Sportives events insist, it's all down to insurance.

It's begs the question why Insurance companies make it a requirement?

Brandane

Legendary Member

I haven't read any posts on this thread (yet) making absurd claims about helmets. There is a whole section on the site for helmet discussions, and literally every angle both for and against helmets has already been covered. I suspect that THIS PLACE is where your thread will end up!

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
I haven't read any posts on this thread (yet) making absurd claims about helmets. There is a whole section on the site for helmet discussions, and literally every angle both for and against helmets has already been covered. I suspect that THIS PLACE is where your thread will end up!
I just pointed out other uses for helmets🫢

a.twiddler

Veteran
As they're not recyclable (Is that a pun?), I hear that they make useful hanging baskets when their career as fruit transporters comes to an end.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As they're not recyclable (Is that a pun?), I hear that they make useful hanging baskets when their career as fruit transporters comes to an end.
No, not in practice. Very few places recycle EPS at all and none in the UK will seperate it from a moulded-on shell and nylon straps.

They are a trick by the oil lobby to increase the environmental footprint of cycling while giving motorists an excuse.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's begs the question why Insurance companies make it a requirement?
There is no evidence they do. Insurance without the requirement is widely available at similar price. The problems start with the likes of Shell's British Cycling forcing rides to use their helmet insurance if they want the ride to be listed on their main website.

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Yes please, at school we were caught playing cards. Detention was for a week with the Deputy Head ,he decided that we are going to learn to play bridge. A good teacher who knew how to get the best out of the pupils.

Top Bottom