Cycling helmets.Opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedFeend

I am just starting out cycling again after a 20+ year lull. I have never worn a helmet. They did not exist when I was young. The research I've found relating to whether helmets reduce head injury is conflicting and contradictory. I can see from the forums here that there is disagreement. Personally I think they are bl...y ugly, but that's not a good reason not to wear one.

I am very interested in hearing people's opinions on helmets, along with their reasoning. I am still sitting on the fence (which is getting uncomfortable) and can't decide whether to buy one or not.

Please don't be annoyed by my indecisiveness. I'm only a beginner. . Thank you.

snorri

Legendary Member
. The research I've found relating to whether helmets reduce head injury is conflicting and contradictory. I can see from the forums here that there is disagreement.

You have summed up the current situation accurately, there is no firm evidence either way. Fortunately we as cyclists still have the choice to wear, or not to wear.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Hi RedFeend and :welcome:

I'm afraid you have just stumbled into a minefield on here (this thread will get moved to the Helmet thread dungeon).

My simple answer is if you want to wear one then do so, if not then don't bother. I looked into the evidence and in my humble opinion there is no particular reason to wear one for normal road riding, and I don't like the way they suggest cycling is a dangerous activity requiring special protective equipment. OTOH I'm happy that people decide for themselves whether they choose to wear one or not. :smile:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I got one reluctantly about a year ago and I actually prefer riding with it now, not particularly for any safety claims, its just comfy, keeps the low sun out of my eyes and the ventilation is good.

Custom24

Über Member
I personally wear one, but try not to get lulled into a false sense of security. In particular, if you are falling off, still try to break your fall with something other than your head, e.g. your hands in padded gloves. You can still break your neck even if the helmet saves your skull. At least that's what I was told.

I can't see the point in considering what policy messages you are sending out by wearing or not wearing - it's your head and your choice.

Lee_M

Guru
mine keeps my head warm, but not hot, so no need for a hot wooly hat and all the itchiness that brings

theres also the chance it will help if i bounce off something

so in my view theres no need to not wear one

Kies

I doubt it would help me in an accident, common sense and road positioning is far better in keeping me safe. I wear one for the people that love me .... They are happier about my cycling into Central London.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I wear one as it keeps my head warmer in winter and it keeps the sun off my head in summer and its ventilated unlike a cap. It keeps the sun out of my eyes too. I prefer to wear one, especially if I am on my MTB riding on some of the trails as it saves me from bashing my bonce on some low hanging trees (there is an argument for me ducking a bit more I guess).

I like my helmet and should I come off and have a gentle tumble, I would rather that the helmet hit the kerb and not my head. Its not going to do any good if you get collected by an artic though.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
frankly it is up to you: your head, your body, your loved ones not bothered or nagging you. You may as well be asking us to pick your new favourite colour for you.

I wear one when I know it will be dark-ish when I'm out as I use it as a mounting point for a set of lights to be more visible over car tops than frame and bar mounted lights allow me to be in traffic.

Otherwise, it is entirely optional & I ascribe no particular safety benefits to them, almost all of the times I've fallen off, my head has not hit the ground; with and without helmet, hands, elbows, feet & knees etc have got there first and done the job; There has been one car incident where I was happy to be wearing it, but knee braces and a F1 HANS device would have been more useful I suspect given the actual impact and the damage I suffered.

OP
OP
RedFeend

RedFeend

I wear one when I know it will be dark-ish when I'm out as I use it as a mounting point for a set of lights to be more visible over car tops than frame and bar mounted lights allow me to be in traffic.

There has been one car incident where I was happy to be wearing it, but knee braces and a F1 HANS device would have been more useful I suspect given the actual impact and the damage I suffered.
Good idea for the lights. Never seen anyone lit up like that apart from miners.

I don't know what a F1 HANS device is. Please can you enlighten me? Unless the F1 stands for Formula 1 and I've got the wrong end of the stick.

OP
OP
RedFeend

RedFeend

Thanks everyone for your insights. I am still none the wiser, but I kind of guessed that might be the case. My hubby thinks helmets are sissy and would not be seen dead in one (Ho Ho!). He would probably pretend not to know me if I rode past him wearing one and he had friends with him.

I can probably see myself buying one anyway, but am not sure of the logic behind the decision. One piece of research showed that on average drivers went 4'' closer to cyclists wearing helmets, as they surmised they were both protected and more experienced riders. This kind of partially negates the 'just in case' reasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom