Cycling holiday opinions wanted - Thanks!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP

We usually do our own thing, self catering rented villa with pool, plan our own rides etc.

Wot @tissot said. From an organised 'cycling holiday' I expect; comfortable en-suite accommodation, half board, bar, pool (this is standard stuff, no premium to pay), airport transfers or affordable alternative (eg; taxi), choice of guided, self guided or no rides, option of bike hire, guided rides to include back up and refreshment stops, and to offer an option of distances from 40 - 70 miles depending on ascent.

It's a beautiful, quiet island, Evia, but I wouldn't choose it for road riding, but I bet it's brilliant for mountain/off road riding.

If these things aren't provided, I don't see the point; I can either do the usual thing with partner and friends, or just go on my own somewhere and check into a hotel.

Thanks for your feedback much appreciated. I'm interested in why you wouldnt choose Evia for road riding? Where on the Island have you been?

The plan is to include all that you mention (although as yet there is no pool, hence the specific question). My brother has 20 years experience as an executive chef in some top hotels and would likely do the cooking and hosting and maybe some guiding.

We were thinking of self guides mainly with route guides and a preloaded GPS or 2. Plenty of available routes with total flexibility on how/ why/ where you go.

User269

Is Greece a good place to ride ?
are the local motorist friendly to cyclist (bunch)

I ride in Mallorca a lot and the motorist there give way for cyclist its a fantastic place to ride :smile:

I hated cycling (and driving) in Crete, but the area around Sivota on the mainland was better, on and off road. Not my first choice for cycling though.

Mallorca though, I go once or twice a year. Some excellent traffic laws, eg; once the first of a group of cyclists enters a roundabout (when it's clear to do so), traffic already on the roundabout must give way to the entire group who subsequently follow behind...................and they do!

If your looking to get experienced riders over I don t think they would be to concerned if there is no pool .
and this may be the case for novice riders too .
Good roads would be my Number 1

Last edited:

User269

Thanks for your feedback much appreciated. I'm interested in why you wouldnt choose Evia for road riding? Where on the Island have you been?

The plan is to include all that you mention (although as yet there is no pool, hence the specific question). My brother has 20 years ex

We did a moving on walking holiday there about 15 years ago, and I remember the 'main' roads weren't very good.

Aunty Tyke

The plan is to include all that you mention (although as yet there is no pool, hence the specific question). My brother has 20 years experience as an executive chef in some top hotels and would likely do the cooking and hosting and maybe some guiding.

We were thinking of self guides mainly with route guides and a preloaded GPS or 2. Plenty of available routes with total flexibility on how/ why/ where you go.
Would you provide backup for the novice rider abroad?definitely a comfortable bed,ensuite,option for picnic lunch or recommended places to stop. Garden to sit in under the shade.pool not essential.

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
I used to live in Greece, lots of very steep hills up the mountains and the drivers are a bit dangerous. I remember asking a Greek friend once, who had the right of way at a junction. His reply ' whoever is the bravest' :cycle:

OP
OP

Would you provide backup for the novice rider abroad?definitely a comfortable bed,ensuite,option for picnic lunch or recommended places to stop. Garden to sit in under the shade.pool not essential.
Thanks for the reply. The plan would be to have emergency back up on all rides.

Picnic lunches would be provided and the routes would highlight nice places to stop for lunch or coffee etc.

The house has a lovely garden and a shaded bbq / bar area.

OP
OP

I used to live in Greece, lots of very steep hills up the mountains and the drivers are a bit dangerous. I remember asking a Greek friend once, who had the right of way at a junction. His reply ' whoever is the bravest' :cycle:
The routes have yet to be defined but there is the option to transport to the start of the route, getting from the main roads and onto the quieter roads sooner and to enable more of the island to be explored.

Of course for an Athens sight seeing ride it might be difficult to stop the traffic :-)

Cyclochef

Regular
Is Greece a good place to ride ?
are the local motorist friendly to cyclist (bunch)

I ride in Mallorca a lot and the motorist there give way for cyclist its a fantastic place to ride :smile:
While i dont really have any comparisons with elsewhere, i find greece a great place to ride, i never get bored of the scenary, its truly stunning, windy coastal roads, mountains to climb, quaint villages in a country whete cycling is on the up, yeah the busy roads are not the best, but i guess thats like most countries..

Cyclochef

Regular

Hehe. Nahh its not that bad, anyway 90% of evia is quiet roads

Top Bottom