Cycling in cities....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
..makes good sense in so many ways.....

Attachments

• best_animated_gif_lucky_cyclist.gif
    best_animated_gif_lucky_cyclist.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 60

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
That's a bit like car snooker.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I've seen this kind of scene in Vietnam in several cities - it's great entertainment, and it's CONSTANT!

There's a few cyclists here, but fakk knows what the traffic cops are doing.
I cycled in Hanoi. It was a lot easier than crossing the road as as a pedestrian. That took real courage

hatler

Guru
Crossing the road in Saigon was pretty straightforward when I was there, but the first time it needed a bit of courage. Thereafter it was a simple act of faith.

Step off the kerb, head for the other side, keep going at a consistent pace. The seas part !!

Leaway2

Lycrist
Crossing the road in Saigon was pretty straightforward when I was there, but the first time it needed a bit of courage. Thereafter it was a simple act of faith.

Step off the kerb, head for the other side, keep going at a consistent pace. The seas part !!
Yep, same in Hanoi. The first step, the first time is a real leap of faith though.

al78

Guru
..makes good sense in so many ways.....

I don't follow your logic here. Are you trying to imply that cycling in cities makes sense because motorists do dumb things and have accidents? Do cyclists never do dumb things and have accidents? If the driver crashing into the bus was instead a cyclist crashing into the bus would he/she be better off?

Seems like that clip is more an argument for not cycling in cities, as being hit by a prat in a tonne of metal a cyclist is going to come off worse in general than a motorist.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That's a bit like car snooker.
I thought police playing car snooker was an urban legend?

I don't follow your logic here. Are you trying to imply that cycling in cities makes sense because motorists do dumb things and have accidents?
I think the implication is that the wily cyclist has so much better visibility and agility that they plotted a successful course through the mayhem that few motorists could. :thumbsup:

Do cyclists never do dumb things and have accidents?
Not really an accident if you did a dumb thing.

If the driver crashing into the bus was instead a cyclist crashing into the bus would he/she be better off?
Probably. Look up the injury rates of cyclists crashing into buses (as opposed buses crashing into cyclists). The lower kinetic energy of 100kg of a cyclist+cycle at 15mph results in much fewer injuries than that of 1200kg of motorist+vehicle at 30mph.

Seems like that clip is more an argument for not cycling in cities, as being hit by a prat in a tonne of metal a cyclist is going to come off worse in general than a motorist.
But it's only the sluggish motorist who failed to get out of the way? Also, we're increasingly often not obliged to share space with heavy metal in cities :thumbsup: although governments don't seem to have understood how to lay out decent crossings of the two ways yet, so keep an eye out :thumbsdown:

Top Bottom