Cycling in Norfolk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I reckon Wafflycat has been holding out on us. She has a secret to protect...... Thing is Mrs A and I have just returned from three superb days of cycling around north Norfolk. It's an area which I have been familiar with since I was a young ankle-biter, but I had never really cycled there. Not only were the roads blissfully bare of cages and wobble-boxes, but the surfaces were (mostly) smooth and undisturbed by the road repair men. But the best bit, and Waffles' doesn't want us to know this, is that the car pilots treat cyclists with respect and give us bags of space, and they even wait patiently behind cyclists on narrow winding lanes until it is safe to pass!! Incredible. Never felt so safe for years. The only dodgy moment was a numpty in a motorhome towing a car who overtook us on a blind bend. Given his mode of transport, I doubt he was a local (probably from Lincolnshire, they all drive like the possessed around here).

So Waffles, your secret is out. Your quiet roads will now be invaded by forummers all searching for cycling nirvana. Hope they enjoy it as much as we did.:thumbsup:

Will1985

Über Member
Before I started working most of the week in Lincs/Leics, I thought that Norfolk drivers could be a bit impatient, but now I have to agree with you.

North Norfolk is certainly better than parts of South Norfolk for considerate driving, and I'll exclude the East/Broads area from comment as we move as fast as the caravans anyway!!

Come and visit us!

Janeyb

Damn and blast the secret's out! I moved to West Norfolk a year ago and regularly head off around the beautiful villages of North Norfolk. It's bliss. Best time is weekdays as on our last ride on a Friday - a 25 miler - we were passed by 4 cars all of whom slowed and passed us only when they were sure it was safe to do so! It's fantastic. Where I actually live isn't so great though. People commuting home from our local train station are definitely not considerate when they pass me on my bike! Can't all be perfect though!

wafflycat

Heh!

Norfolk is a fabulous county for cycling. Gentle terrain, zillions of winding country lanes. I'll disagree about the condition of the roads - I must cycle on different Norfolk country lanes :biggrin: It is a plus as there are so many country lanes, I can choose to cycle where there is little chance of motorised traffic for many a mile, or I can go on main roads if I want to and even some dual carriageways should I be so inclined. I can do loads of civilised cycling from Ye Old Teashoppe to Ye Old Teashoppe. Perfect. :smile:

We are in need of a forum meet-up cycle ride in Norfolk?

wafflycat

Janeyb said:
Damn and blast the secret's out! I moved to West Norfolk a year ago and regularly head off around the beautiful villages of North Norfolk. It's bliss. Best time is weekdays as on our last ride on a Friday - a 25 miler - we were passed by 4 cars all of whom slowed and passed us only when they were sure it was safe to do so! It's fantastic. Where I actually live isn't so great though. People commuting home from our local train station are definitely not considerate when they pass me on my bike! Can't all be perfect though!

Whereabouts in West Norfolk are you?

bonj2

Make the most of it while you can!, before climate change takes hold and we have to wheel kevin costner out.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
bonj said:
Make the most of it while you can!, before climate change takes hold and we have to wheel kevin costner out.

LOL, waterbikes anyone ?

Gerry Attrick said:

I think bonj means that eventually East Anglia will be underwater and civilisation will be akin to that as portrayed in Kevin Costner's film Waterworld!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterworld

But I could be wrong! :tongue:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
wafflycat said:
Heh!

Norfolk is a fabulous county for cycling. Gentle terrain, zillions of winding country lanes. I'll disagree about the condition of the roads - I must cycle on different Norfolk country lanes :biggrin: It is a plus as there are so many country lanes, I can choose to cycle where there is little chance of motorised traffic for many a mile, or I can go on main roads if I want to and even some dual carriageways should I be so inclined. I can do loads of civilised cycling from Ye Old Teashoppe to Ye Old Teashoppe. Perfect. ;)

We are in need of a forum meet-up cycle ride in Norfolk?

That we be. I eagerly await a time and place:biggrin:

Bigtallfatbloke

I would like to ride in Norfolk again..but only if the sun shines this time;):biggrin:
I am fitter now than I was last year. I could get to the north norfolk coast in 2 days probably in good weather. I may head up that way if the weather looks like holding, stop over in the hostel in Cambridge then head up to Kings lyn and wells etc...dunno...it might be a good 'pre tour' tour for me:biggrin:

Top Bottom