Cycling in the darker months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevenb

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.....:rolleyes:..ouch...thats better.
My budget for the next 4 months is extremely tight. Car insurance, tax, Crimbo and Birthdays mean I'm on the breadline for this period of time.

Do I get some lights for my MTB and train in the eves......but I must admit....I'm wary of the roads at night even with good lights, hi viz jacket etc.

Or do I get a 2nd hand exercise bike (I'd like a Turbo trainer but can't afford one B)...) and cycle indoors safe and warm?

The 'getting out and about' is appealing....but so is the 'safety and comfort' of the indoors.

I don't know what to choose.....I suppose cycle lights will need new batteries often.....but some of these little lights thesedays manage an easy 120hours....very impressive to me.

HELP.....:rolleyes::biggrin::tongue::biggrin:

buggi

Bird Saviour
can't you get a turbo off ebay or in the classifieds on here?

Bigtallfatbloke

I ride at night 2 or three times a week at least. I have a night vision jacket and five lights (2 front 2 rear and one helmet). There is less traffic and as long as I dont go out in th erush hour I feel relatively safe. Batteriess...yep...getting through a few but I just discovered a charger in our medicine cabinet (??) and all will now be cheaper.

I bet if you get he exercise bike it will be on ebay before you can say "BORING". The option of a turbo trainer at leas tinvolves a real bike.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

My budget is literally about £30 max....not sure I'd get a turbo trainer for that.
I know an exercise bike is monotonous but I would put it in front of the TV.......keep the legs spinning..........
I have spotted some nice budget lights on Chain reaction's site. They seem good value.
My Dad has a nice bike light set...but he's lost the battery charger for them....plus I don't think he wants to sell them. :rolleyes:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I think the Smart 5w/10w set is still cheap at SJS and offer pretty good glow/£.

Cycling at night is great, but it does depend where you live. I do a 25 miler in and around the broad boulevards of Oxford, after 8.00pm it's pretty quiet, well lit and a lot of bus lanes. Used to go alone, but now one evening a week there's 4 of us. Having somebody else to ride with helps motivation and safety.

Night riding in cities is pretty addictive, the sights (OMG!), smells of the resteraunts etc, can be quite a hoot!

girofan

:rolleyes: Kamikaze attitude is needed for night riding! SMIDSY applies in spades after dark.
Some of the buggers are just looking for an excuse.
It could be Clarkson behind you!
Just go to a local authority cross-training class. About £30. :rolleyes:

domtyler

Über Member
Why not leave the car in the garage for a few months and scale down your present buying for this year, people don't really expect massive presents and you certainly shouldn't be buying them if you can't afford them.

ash68

there's nothing like getting out on the bike for your exercise,even in winter.But, in my humble opinion, if your going to get lights, get the very best you can afford.Sounds dramatic I know, but £20 to £30 more spent on lights might just save your life. Don't do things by halves, get reflective waistoat as well, they only cost a few quid. IMO no good lying in a hospital bed regretting getting cheap lights.:rolleyes:

got-to-get-fit

Steve get some lights ....and try poundland and places like that for a battery charger and some rechargeable batteries. Ive often seen em in them places.
Second hand lights off e-bay will be just as good as new!

Riding at night is cool .....its a whole different way of looking at the world

By the way where the bloody hell have you been recently....i thought you had been kidnapped by some bicycle fundamentalists or something

Bigtallfatbloke

One thing I dont like about night riding is when I am on an unfamilier road and i get the the bottom of a hill and cant see the top. This only happens on unlit roads but it's a pain not knowing how to attack/approach the bloody thing...luckily there arnt any BIG hills around this area.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Get the Smart lights for £30, I've been using these for MTB club night rides for 4 or 5 years and they are quite adequate. On the 2.5w beam you'll get over 8 hours of use.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Cheers for the advise guys.
Haven't been online as much Jas, as my new job is very intensive at the moment and I'm coming home tired and reluctant to switch on the pooter.

Seems like most people are saying lights are best.
I would ride to work but it's a fair way to work and the roads are pretty heavy and full of artic lorries etc and work don't have good washing/changing facilities.:evil:

I have a high viz vest already.......and I think I'd use my MTB rather than my road bike which I want to keep for the better daytime weather if poss.
I have my MTB slicks on anyway. Plus the MTB is best for going up n down kerbs etc without fuss.

Looks like lights are on the cards then. :biggrin:

Top Bottom