Cycling in the French Alps by Paul Henderson

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Waterstones on-line are currently doing 40% off this book by Paul Henderson pub by Cicerone which I saw in my local Waterstones. It seems pretty good and comprehensively covers everything that you would need to know for touring in the region. Lots of good quality pics as well to compliment the text of directions and facilites, routes and profile charts. He lives in Chambery. Very nicely presented. I nearly bought it there and then at £14 but preferred another (non-cycling) book. Back home I went on line to see what cycling books Waterstones do generally and was pleasantly surprised to see the said same book for £9.80 :biggrin:. I ordered it straight away on friday just gone (free postage) and it has just arrived monday in perfect condition. Well worth it IMHO.

http://www.waterstones.com/watersto...rench+Alps&searchType=0&Image1.x=8&Image1.y=7

Also of use to go with this book is the following French website showing whether Cols in France are ouvert/ferme:

http://www.bison-fute.equipement.go...eDpt=0&massif=Tous&typeCol=X&pager.offset=100

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Given the amount of questions that come up on touring in the Alps is no one interested enough in this book to make a comment or maybe already has it? I have no association with the author and do not know him. I just saw his book and thought it excellent, certainly at £9.80 ;).

Bump ;).

Tedx

I plan to cycle through Germany to Switzerland then through the Alps and through Farance.

I need to get from Andermatt Switzerland to Grenoble France. What is the best way to plot a route?

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Tedx said:
I plan to cycle through Germany to Switzerland then through the Alps and through Farance.

I need to get from Andermatt Switzerland to Grenoble France. What is the best way to plot a route?

Would something called a map help?

Tedx

Crankarm said:
Would something called a map help?

Ha.. yeah didnt think of that!

I'm trying to find out the best routes to take in the Alps. I dont want TOO many hard climbs if possible.. I checked out the book you recommended. Looks very good. I may go for it.

Im doing the Grnad traverse of the Alps from this book Geneva to Nice :angry:

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
I've read the first 4 routes and followed them on my Michelin map 1:200,000 (1cm=2km) and they look well put together and promise to be pretty spectacular :evil:. The route circling Chamonix is one I'd like to try sooner than later. I have been to the area a few times before mind. So I'm aware how beautiful the views are and how much work it can be climbing the cols.

Tedx

Thanks guys I'm going to do the Andermatt to Geneva

BikeLine sell a map of it in German

Top Bottom