Cycling in the rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Pat, have you thought about getting waterproof shoes for winter? I've got a pair [dammit can't remember the brand now but the logo looks like a mammoth / elephant type beastie] and wear them for all my "utility" cycling in the winter. They're brilliant and really do work. When the skylight in my porch leaked last summer, they filled up with water!

ayceejay

Guru
If you treat every day as race day before long you will need to change your name 6 - 7 -8 ?
I think they could either be used for their aerodynamic quality or their water shedding quality I wore mine yesterday in the peeing down and my shoes and feet were dry and this wasn't from racing between rain drops.:smile:

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
@CharlieB once recommended a rohan jacket to me that was about £200 and seemed to do the job but was a bit flappy and I'll fitting for a chap of my build. I never invested in it but wonder to this day if it's still working for him (seemed to do the trick on a totally soaking ride to the coast...like stair rods for 8hours)
Yup, two and a bit years on, it's still totally waterproof. I don't know if they still have it in their range. Mind you, it doesn't breathe like some, so it can get a little warm.

For colder 3-season riding (Oct-May) I use Paramo. They make a cycling jacket, but it is the kind you wear rather than carry for emergency use.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't choose to ride in the rain but if there's a risk in the summer, arm warmers and gilet, possibly 3/4 length shorts. I have a fizik jacket but it's too bulky for a pocket for and I've not yet found a truly packable rain jacket that fits me!

In the late autumn/ winter, persistent rain, forget it, I get far too cold and can't warm up again without a hot bath!!

Onthedrops

Veteran
I don't choose to set off in the rain on the bike. (Sorry hardened cyclists!)
However, I do stuff a very lightweight Lidl special in the jersey pocket. Surprisingly good tbh. Big vent in the back which greatly reduces the boil in the bag effect.
Wore it recently on the Manc to Blackpool ride. Actually started the ride with it on as it was a bit drizzly. Kept nice and dry with no sweaty moments due to easy flat ride. It brightened up a bit so stopped, removed it and stuffed it into a jersey pocket. Saved the day.

Top Bottom