Cycling in the rain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
One final thought - cycling when it is thunder and lightening outside, like tonight. Safe or not, I'm thinking specifically about the lightening...

As safe as walking in it. I don't think the bike will attract lightning, neither will it insulate you.

If you're caught out in a flat place in the middle of nowhere and you're the tallest thing around, it's wise to get off and crouch down until the storm passes. But I wouldn't have any worries about cycling in an urban setting in a storm, bar the extra inattention of motorists going "oooh! lightning!".

EssexRider

I love cycling in the rain but not on the roads, not only is your visability limited so are the cars who don't see you at the best of times.

My Brompton got a proper soaking recently and was absolutely filthy. 30 minutes with warm water, Muc-Off pink cleaning spray and a liberal coating with Muc-Off After-Wash spray and it looked as good as new. I found a loose spoke while doing this job so that was a double bonus.

Bill

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Utility riding on the Brompton has been all weather though sometimes stick it on the bus in the morning to avoid arriving at work wet through. I don't have the nerve to take a folded B on the tube and anyway carrying it messes up my back. Too much hassle waiting for the bus then missing the train at end of day and leaving bike at office buggers up the following day. So evenening ride is 'all weather' It's a commuter bike and it's going to get wet anyway on days when I'm riding between/after showers and generally in winter. The clean and maintain routines take account of that.

As to the rider, a good jacket, quick drying Rohan trousers and a travel towel in the bag sufficient for (vary rare occasions) when I've arrived at the station drenched. An hour on an air conditioned train is enough to get home dry.

As noted in another thread Boris Bikes have created a new possibilty of leaving the B at the office and using the tube to the station. Following morning pick up a BB and arrive at office as usual.

Top Bottom