Cycling in the USA - Health

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanO

I am planning a trip to USA next year and wondered if there are any health issues ( jabs, mosquitoes, other bugs or diseases) that I need to think about.

I know its a big country, but wondered if you have any ideas?
Alan

Talk to your GP or look on the foreign office travel advice website.

Danny

Legendary Member
There are no "tropical" diseases in the US which you need to be immunised against. However, in the summer most places will have mosquitoes and other biting insects.

Some areas have more dangerous animals like rattle snakes and bears - though you don't normally get both in the same place!

Dangerous animals will only really be an issue if you are camping in remote areas, and even then deaths or serious injuries are very rare, particularly if you take sensible precautions. Having said that I did once have all my food stolen by a large bear even though it was hanging from 10' above the ground from a tree branch :rolleyes:

If you are camping don't drink untreated water even from apparently unpolluted streams, as there is a parasite that has got into most waterways which will give you major stomach problems.

Anyway don't be put off - there is some beautiful unspoilt country to see in the US.

Alves

Agreed, it's a gorgeous country in parts esp the Four Corners area and most of Utah. The rural areas remain a good place to cycle by and large although the scale of things does limit your exploration unless you are planning a long trip.
Check out crazyguyonabike.com for loads of trip reports in the States.
My wife once got bitten by a spider in Arizona (ooh, vicar!) and developed a spectacular rash but that's the only health problem we've had in several months of holidays over there, enjoy it and hope the exchange rate remains favourable!
There is some Giardia (a tummy bug of nuisance value) in rivers and streams but that is the only offensive microbe I know of (the current president not withstanding).

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
The only thing I'd say is make sure you have some kind of health insurance coverage. Hopefully nothing will happen to you -but if it does, it does make things easier.

At least from the north east perspective I don't know of any shots you should get -and I've never heard of any when I went to the south west either. Then again, I'm not an expert.

There's been a recent fad in local news outlets in the north east about triple E (though of course with the amount of drinking and driving they do over here their attention spans on the road, you're much more likely to get into a road accident than catch triple E.) Having said that, just for comfort, I'd use insect repellent -like Scotland, there are places where the biting insects are a real nuisance.

gavintc

Guru
Drinking water from lakes and rivers can be hazardous and it is recommended that you either use a water filtration system. The Canadians call the illness you get Beaver fever

Top Bottom