cycling in the wind... what speed makes you think 'nah'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I tend to check the weather and wind direction when planning a ride, but half the time i find myself battling a ferocious headwind on the journey back towards home. I don't mind a bit of wind but would rather face it on the outbound journey... but if it's around the 20mph mark or higher, i tend to not bother (unless i've no choice).

What wind speed makes you think "nah... i'm not riding today" ??

blazed

220lb+
No amount of wind, I just adjust the route/training type to suit. We've had 50mph+ winds a lot recently and I've used these to my advantage picking up KOM's and shattering dreams.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Anything over 25mph, though I've been caught out in stronger, most memorably in Scotland this summer, cycling into a ridiculous wind over high, open ground. I also look at direction and gusts too.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

No amount of wind, I just adjust the route/training type to suit. We've had 50mph+ winds a lot recently and I've used these to my advantage picking up KOM's and shattering dreams.
ah, so you're climbing them hills with a big wind behind you! Does Strava take that into account?

Levo-Lon

Guru
I hate riding into a head wind..mtb in the woods seems to solve it..

anything over 10..15mph for road biking nah..tho its dead flat here so you cant tell how windy it is untill your clear of a built up area..

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
Anything over 25mph really. It's not the difficulty of going directly into it or having help you along a bit, it's the possibility of being diverted into traffic by a gust as you pass gateways in the otherwise protective hedgerows for me.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Ever cycled past a field gate on a windy day with deep-rim wheels on the bike? Ooh Lordy....

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Anything over 25mph really. It's not the difficulty of going directly into it or having help you along a bit, it's the possibility of being diverted into traffic by a gust as you pass gateways in the otherwise protective hedgerows for me.
I've never found side gusts to be a problem... i think i simply lean into them without thinking about it... it's the headwind slamming into my chest that makes it hard work... especially over fifteen miles back down the Lune Valley

D

Deleted member 1258

If I'm flat out at walking pace and side gusts are blowing me across the road I'll start thinking maybe I shouldn't have bothered.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Never really bothered me on the commute. A pleasurable weekend ride it would be a different case, but picking a flat circular route is better than hotting the hills in windy weather

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I try to cycle everyday possible as a commuter so tend to put up with the wind. I think I would draw the line at the 50mpg quoted above..... heheh

Top Bottom