Cycling initiatives in local government

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Has anyone here contacted their local authorities asking what they are planning/doing with regards to improving space for cycling every day as transport around their local area? If so, what response did you receive? If any.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Our local region has published "...an ambitious plan to create a network of more than 620miles of accessible walking and cycling routes across South Yorkshire..." which is available through the Sheffield City Region site. Claims to be 'ambitious', but the intended completion date of 2040 would seem to be at odds with that imho.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
My Local Authority were really pro-active. They produced an online interactive map, where people could mark and comment on places where walking and/or cycling infrastructure needed improvement.

So far, so good.

Nothing has actually HAPPENED of course, but, it was a nice idea. ;)

Drago

Legendary Member
My Local Authority were really pro-active. They produced an online interactive map, where people could mark and comment on places where walking and/or cycling infrastructure needed improvement.

So far, so good.

Nothing has actually HAPPENED of course, but, it was a nice idea. ;)
That's what we used to call "no-active" in the police.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Was listening to episode 147 of the "Reasons to be Cheerful" podcast this morning which discussed how 'in the last few months towns and cities around the world have experimented with closing roads, expanding pavements and pop-up cycle lanes.' In one section (approx 10.30) they talked with Chris Boardman about Greater Manchester's plans. The consultation process they used seemed very similar to that described by @BoldonLad and hopefully quite inclusive?
How far authorities are able to forge ahead, given the tightened financial constraints we may be facing, is another matter.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
We had 12 more cycle racks put in the market square, you still have to risk life and limb to get there but the racks are nice.
The piecemeal approach is a real problem I feel. I cycled through a new housing development this morning (on the site of the Battle of Orgreave as it happens) - wide, dual-use paths abounded, but cycling provision on access routes to the estate are limited at best. Requiring developers to make provision for non-motorised transport is to be welcomed, but surely an authority then needs to think about ways they can extend and capitalise on that provision?

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
It's the endless consultation that gets me with no clear outcome when the principle has been proved time and time again worldwide.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
We had 12 more cycle racks put in the market square, you still have to risk life and limb to get there but the racks are nice.
The reason for that sort of stupidity in England is often that the borough is willing but the county is not: boroughs are responsible for parking (and design approval of new developments, to cover the other example) but counties are normally responsible for highways and bridleways.

Top Bottom