Cycling jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thomson

Hi. Everybody starts somewhere so looking for a cycling jacket .

Any ideas? On colour black or blue would prefer. I don’t like hi vis colours. Really want three pockets at the back as means don’t have to take my rucksack.

Any makes? Not wanting to spend millions on one but will spend a bit more if it’s the one. £50-80.

Size wise not wanting something that’s skin tight. I am about 108kgs and about 6 ft 2.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Depends what style of jacket you want but I rate Altura kit,

HOY-Vulpine-Long-Sleeve-Jersey-680x480.jpg

Click on the pic for a link to 10 best cycling 'jerseys' the Altura one is about 6th down

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have about 6 cycling jackets in the £30-£70 range. The best you can hope for is damp and warm.

What I should have done is saved my money and waited and then bit the bullet and bought a C5 Gore Shakedry 1985 jacket. They are expensive but I have one now and it us a revelation. I wasted so much money on cheaper jackets. The C5 breathes unbelievably well but keeps you dry in the rain.
The only downside is the price. Apart from that it is excellent.
https://www.rosebikes.dk/gore-wear-...acket-2664147?product_shape=black/neon+yellow

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Hmm...you've not said if it needs to be waterproof or if it's for commuting to work or just days on the bike, but, if it's for days on the bike and waterproof I can highly recommend decathlon.
I have one myself. What it doesn't have is 3 rear pockets as they'd be a weak point in waterproofness. I just use the pockets on my jersey that I wear under it.
The chest pocket is handy for money/keys and the underarm pit zips do a good job of keeping you cool. Add to which, this is not a warm jacket in any way whatsoever...its damn cold in fact. But that's handy in summer rainy days. The cuffs have been designed to keep draughts out when wearing gloves and they do actually work quite well.
It hasn't been subjected to storm force wet days so far but it's held up quite nicely on your average UK rainy days.
Wouldn't a saddlebag of some sort be better than a rucksack? There's few things worse than a sweaty wet back.

vickster

Legendary Member
For spring, summer, autumn, winter use?

Waterproof, windproof, jersey or jacket...? Temperature riding in? Low or high Single figures, low double figures (you won't need a jacket in high double figures, get some arm warmers and a gilet)

At 108Kg, you'll probably need to avoid form/race fit...

Other than colour and pockets what's the spec?

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have a veriety, but Altura are my main jackets - be they a winter windproof or a summer top. Also, I can recommend the Aldi soft shell for winter - they will appear around the end of September - worth the cash.

OP
OP
T

Thomson

Didn’t expect so many replies. Thanks all. Yeah it’s my first cycling jacket. Not fussed about waterproof . Probaly just a summer evening jacket. I can wear with just a T-shirt underneath. Mostly cycle at about 7-9.30 at night. About 10-16 degrees. Sorry don’t like saddlebags so really has to have three pockets. To keep pump tubes, tools food in . Yeah probably not too tight. And quite long at the back I quite like the idea off that.

Slaav

Veteran
Didn’t expect so many replies. Thanks all. Yeah it’s my first cycling jacket. Not fussed about waterproof . Probaly just a summer evening jacket. I can wear with just a T-shirt underneath. Mostly cycle at about 7-9.30 at night. About 10-16 degrees. Sorry don’t like saddlebags so really has to have three pockets. To keep pump tubes, tools food in . Yeah probably not too tight. And quite long at the back I quite like the idea off that.

My take is the common used - “buy cheap, buy twice....”

The minimum I would try is a lightweight Gore - I have windstoppers which are great but you need to dress light underneath. I also have a great Rapha lightweight jacket that goes over a normal jersey when it’s too warm for the Gore. One jacket will struggle to do everything but don’t skimp and go cheaper than you need. Buffs and warmers can very easily make a lightweight jacket into an outer winter layer .....

IMHO, Gore stuff is a great compromise but Rapha (sale only) and ASSOS Outlet is worth checking regularly.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Stolen Goat :okay:

Top Bottom