Cycling laws to be overhauled.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OneArmedBandit

At what point do they change Grammatically, not Biologically?
There isn't a point because it changes depending on context and how well you know them.

E.g. I would happily refer to the "boys and girls at work", and Mrs OAB will go on girls weekends.

But I wouldn't say "that girl on university challenge".

I suspect it even changes on dialect. I hear people from the north refer to "lasses" in sentences where I wouldn't use "girls".

I don't want to derail this thread, so if someone wants to start another about the language, I'll join in.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I’ve just had an interesting conversation with a Lithuanian chap at w*rk.
Apparently, their driving license includes a category for bicycle. If you get nabbed for a cycling offence (I don’t know what constitutes an offence over there) the points also go on your car/truck/motorcycle license.
Drunk on a bicycle? Lose your driving license.

Apparently, their driving license includes a category for bicycle. If you get nabbed for a cycling offence (I don’t know what constitutes an offence over there) the points also go on your car/truck/motorcycle license.
Similar in Australia, but without the special licenses. If you get caught drunk on a bicycle (or as I remember in an oppressive state, drunk on roller-skates, dressed as a fairy at a gay pride march), you can lose your license.

Interestingly, if you didn't have a licence at the time of the offence, then you could apply and get one the next day. That seemed very unfair to me.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I believe this is theoretically possible in UK law since a few years ago but I know of no cases of it actually happening yet... but that may be because cycling offences worth taking to court are relatively rare compared to the far more widespread and deadly illegal motoring.

OneArmedBandit

I am 99.9% certain this is made up. As far as I know no EU members have licencing for bicycles, and there is a big push by the EU to harmonise cycle regs anyway.

It may be one of those technical things where you can in theory get points on your licence on a bike just as you can here for things like theft. But it's a provision that is almost never used.

OneArmedBandit

I believe this is theoretically possible in UK law since a few years ago but I know of no cases of it actually happening yet... but that may be because cycling offences worth taking to court are relatively rare compared to the far more widespread and deadly illegal motoring.
You can't in the UK, all alcohol related offences are only an offence for motor vehicles.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You can't in the UK, all alcohol related offences are only an offence for motor vehicles.
Not true. You cannot be required to use a breathalyser and there is no set alcohol limit, but you can be drunk in charge like a horse carriage driver. Rarely prosecuted without a collision, though. Section 30 Road Traffic Act 1988 nowadays. @spen666 may know more IIRC.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Top Bottom