Cycling LEJOG first time in 2 weeks, help needed!

Do we have to take a Bike Lock on LEJOG? If so, could you advise best options.

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom Wright

Hey all,

Off 2 weeks today and super excited. Never done any long distance cycle before. Me and my partner are doing it over 19 days before a round the world trip.

Anyway, we hoped for some advice on the following poll which will help so much.

We are staying at B&Bs and airbnbs and want to be as lightweight as possible, only taking saddle bags.

We hoped we could get away with not having a lock, keeping them in our room at night and during the day just take them into pubs / cafes. I am doubting if this is possible.

If anyone is reading this and also wants to pass on any little advice for a beginner cyclist doing this long trip that would be amazing too.

Thank you all for reading.

Tom

KneesUp

Guru
I've never done this before either, but I'd suggest that not all BnB's have facilities to keep your bike indoors. Many of the ones I've been in are just houses with a few spare rooms, and I doubt the owners would have liked me to have dragged a wet oily bike up their stairs, removing wallpaper as I went.

Perhaps speak to the BnBs you are thinking of using and make bookings? I know people take bikes into Travelodges/ Premier Inns (not sure which chain or if it's both) with no problem.

In the day you should be fine as there are two of you so one can stay with the bikes if needs be,

MikeG

Guru
When we booked B&B's for our Lejog we checked on their bike storage facilities, and didn't book if they didn't have somewhere secure. This meant we never used the bike lock, which we carried the entire 999 miles as ballast. Well, I mean, the ride is that easy that you have to try to make it a bit more interesting somehow, don't you? ;)

I don't think a solo cyclist could manage without a lock, but 2 or more should be able to have someone always keeping an eye on the bikes until they are locked away for the evening.

So in summary, if you book your B&B's correctly, and you are in a group (which you are), then a lock may be nothing more than a waste of space.

Mike

Last edited:

procel

The Kryptoflex combi lock is really light and small. You wouldn't want to use it to lock your bikes up for any long length of time, but it'd be a useful thing to have if you both need to be out of sight of them in a cafe or facilities for a few minutes.

Rob Page

Good luck Tom,

I'm heading off from JOG on 12th May for the 1st time too so I can't offer any advice other than enjoy it and I'll keep an eye out for you on route :-)

Rob

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I remember reading about a family of four who were staying at a very remote Scottish B&B, who did not think that the bikes on the back of their car needed locking up. They woke in the morning to find that all four bikes had been stolen ...

I would take locks!

Dave Dusgate

Regular
I am halfway through a Sustrans routes Lejog in four stages and we have stayed B&B throughout but always book ahead and ask about bike storage.
I would not leave it to chance.
You will need a bike lock even if they are in a garage. Lock them together with one lock.
We even lock them on trains as you do not always get to sit in sight of your bikes.
We have used Premier inns a lot and have had no trouble taking bikes into rooms. If you ask for a disabled one it is bigger. we do that but do tell them it is because of bikes and not being disabled.

Top Bottom