Cycling London to Greece, is it possible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeyMikey25

Please accept my apology for being extremely naive and clueless but desperate times etc.

Obviously we are in the depths of a global lock down so my question is purely hypothetical and dependant on travel regulations and guidelines for each country but my girlfriend is locked down in Thessaloniki northern Greece whilst I am in London UK. It looks like air travel could be a long way off being a realistic option any time soon and I'v been considering organising a route from France to Greece by bike if and when eurostar or ferry opens to non essential travellers and border restrictions are relaxed.

Has anyone done a trip like this, could recommend routes or tips.

I have only cycled long distance in the UK on a bike. The closest thing i've done to this distance in the length of Vietname on a Motorbike or driving Newzealand so any tips on cycling in terms of prep or any other thoughts on this kind of trip over the next six months would be hugely appreciated.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Mathall on YouTube did London to Istanbul last year. Route was London-Harwich-Hook-Rhine-Danube-Black Sea.

I suspect the fastest cycling would be London-Dover-Calais-Alps-Italy-Venice?-ferry-Greece but I suspect flights will restart before all the borders and boats involved are reopened.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I suspect the best tactics may be to travel ultra light (30 litres backpack max) and use a folding bike so you can easily use any trains that are running if the cycling becomes too difficult, in terms of fatigue or terrain. It would be a difficult choice between a posh folding bike that's better to ride and a cheap one that's not too much to lose if you abandon it for some reason or it gets stolen.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Cycling London to Greece, is it possible?
Anything is possible on a bike! As long as you have the ability and the will power to do it; of course.
There are many route planning aids on the internet. Googlemaps for starters. You are the only one who can really decide on the route and types of roads you are willing to cycle on, so get your homework done and go for it if you really want to. Good luck (but personally I would be waiting until EasyJet are flying again :smile:).

I tend to veer towards encouraging people that just about anything is possible on a bike so I'll start off positively -

Of course you can do it!^_^

As suggested above CrazyGuyOnABike will give a lot of info about routes, equipment etc.

It's for you to decide on your accommodation options which will in turn influence what weight you're carrying and indeed what bike is best to use.

I've no idea what long distance cycling you've done but you should be comfortable on your bike for hours at a time. If you're not, get comfortable!

You should also be able to carry out basic repairs to your bike - punctures, brake adjustment etc. - for the confidence if nothing else.

Finally, you should be comfortable with whatever options you use for planning and navigation. If using GPS or an app stress test them before departure and make sure you can power them!

Now the negatives;:sad:

I pick up a sense of urgency from your post, an urge to get from A to B as quickly as possible. To me, that is not "touring" in the usual sense and brings its own (mental) challenges. Mechanicals, diversions, weather delays are all parts of "normal" touring but could be big pressure points for you. Similarly, slowing down to "smell the roses" is (for me anyway) a great motivator for the more unpleasant parts of a tour and a balm after a tough time. Give yourself time and options to enjoy the ride itself.

A lot of (enjoyable) cycle touring is not actually about cycling the bike long distances. It's about logistics - where to eat and drink, where to sleep, how to navigate and how to pay for everything.

The fact is that logistics are going to be an unknown quantity for a while and availability of services may well vary from region to region, never mind country to country.

I'm thinking of places like campsites, hostels or hotels that are closed due to economics or limited in capacity due to the need for social distancing. I'm thinking that a solo cyclist in a rural area in 2020 is going to have a different reception to one in 2019 if looking for a spot to throw up a tent.

Language and the ability to understand written and oral instructions as well as express yourself will be important too. I've never been too bothered about language before, but these are different times. Six months ago I could use Google Translate on my phone - not many people will want to get that close to a sweaty stranger on a bike now.

Weather may well be a factor - especially the heat if you're considering this in the summer. In fact, these are the times to make sure you're in, and remain, in tip top health.

If I was in your shoes I'd give myself lots of time for this little adventure.

I'd start off with the intention of following and connecting whatever established cycling routes I can find on the basis that I'll meet kindred spirits along the way, navigation and facilities should be easier & more available and welcomes may well be a little warmer.

I'd start off slow and slowly build up my progress. I'd pay lots of attention to my body and react accordingly.

To keep myself motivated I'd think about what a wonderful story I was living! ^_^

Resources:

Do. Not. Depend. On. Google. Maps.

It's great for highlighting places and saving maps offline but not for planning bike routes.

@Richard Fairhurst above is too modest to mention https://cycle.travel/ probably the best bike touring planner there is. It will show main long distance cycling routes. Also shows camping & hotel options.

https://www.biroto.eu/en/cycle-routes is another resource for long distance routes and useful for linking routes.

Osmand is a great app for planning and following routes and works offline. Has been my backup for years. https://osmand.net/

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/?o=1mr. For all things bike touring. A fantastic search facility and a great source of inspiration.

Don't forget YouTube for touring videos, product reviews and "how to" videos.

The very best of luck to you and please come back and update us!

Brains

Legendary Member
Yes, it is do-able

Yes, the logical route is Harwich, Hook, Rhine, Danube as far as Bulgaria, before cutting south via Sofia (you don't need to go as far as the Black Sea)

Cycle Travel is the best app to use to plan the route before you leave, you can spend many a night fine tuning the route, only to find that once you are on the ground that actually there is a better option.
But at least you can work out the flattest routes between Rhine and Danube and then between Sofia and Thessaloniki

I would not even consider a back pack. Panniers is the way to go.

I also would not take a folding bike, get a decent 2nd hand Tourer, or build your own.
(You can get collapsible frames that come apart, but they tend to be expensive)

The train line runs parallel to the Rhine and Danube, you are never more than a few miles from the next station, and certainly in Germany and Austria there is no problem at all in putting a loaded touring bike on the local trains. (I don't know about further east)

Accommodation & Food may be your big issues in 2020 (and even 2021)
I suspect the further east you travel the less the locals will want you on their patch

Top Bottom