Cycling Masks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidsw8

I've been commuter cycling through Central London for just over a year now and I've noticed that I've had more coughs and colds than I usual. I was wondering if it could be caused by the pollution I must be breathing in on a daily basis so did a bit of research and came across this article:

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/cycling-masks-and-the-shocking-results/

Does anyone else wear a mask and if so, have you noticed any improvement in your breathing as a result? Also, any recommendations for a good mask? I was thinking that if it's not expensive, it's worth a try eh...

Recycle

Über Member
I only wear a mask when the seed balls from the London plane trees start breaking up, usually in about May. I hate wearing the mask, it impedes airflow and makes me feel claustrophobic but breathing in the fibres from the seeds isn't fun.

The masks don't do any good for pollution or germs. They can't filter air born particles smaller than 10µ (1µ = 1 millionth of a metre), which covers all viruses, bacteria and the most harmful pollution. The reason is because a mask that had a gauze fine enough to filter that stuff it would be too difficult to breath through.

I don't know which mask I have, I think they are all quite similar.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

I get more chest colds and coughs when I travel on public transport in London than when cycling. I wear a mask when taking the tube.

Before the cycling, I walked the 4 miles to work and back for a good 4 or 5 years so didn't have to get public transport, thankfully. Many people don't seem to have the first clue about basic hygiene, I've seen some properly dirty hands holding on at the tube *shudder*

BSRU

A Human Being
I was under the impression masks were self defeating, you need to breath harder/deeper with a mask on but they do not protect the wearer from diesel particulates which are drawn deeper into the lungs.
I could be wrong though.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Masks for cycling are incredibly unpleasant to wear, and utterly pointless. They are yet another solution waiting for a problem and meanwhile marketed to cyclists who've been made to think they're a necessity by good marketing.

If anything, they'll hold onto your mucus and give you a second (and third, and fourth, and fifth) chance to breathe in the viruses that cause infections. What stops chest infections (and I speak as someone who's hardly had one in 16 years of commuting) is being fit, but not stupidly so.

Kookas

Über Member
I was looking into this the other day after being stuck behind a bus for most of the ride into college left me with a sore throat. I can't see how the pollution could give you more colds than normal, though, since viruses aren't one of the products of combustion engines.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Masks for cycling are incredibly unpleasant to wear, and utterly pointless. They are yet another solution waiting for a problem and meanwhile marketed to cyclists who've been made to think they're a necessity by good marketing.

If anything, they'll hold onto your mucus and give you a second (and third, and fourth, and fifth) chance to breathe in the viruses that cause infections. What stops chest infections (and I speak as someone who's hardly had one in 16 years of commuting) is being fit, but not stupidly so.
Agreed, cycling has the same effect on me, and beats the hell out of taking the Flu Express to work.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Well, I cycle to and from work, go to the gym every morning before work (and sometimes after too) and have a pretty good diet so I regard myself as well above average fitness wise. The only variable that's changed in the last year is the cycling so process of elimination would indicate the increase in coughs etc is that I'm sucking in too much bad air? Well, I hope it's that and nothing something really terrible! :ohmy:

Doesn't London consistently break EU regulations concerning air quality? That's bound to have an effect. If masks help with that or not is another matter.

Davidc

Guru
As above. Colds, flue, etc. are caused by biological agents not pollution.

I used to commute to work (and if appropriate will again) and wouldn't restrict my breathing with a mask. At several times that was in London, before the days of clean engines, exhaust filters, catalytic converters etc.

I'd be interested to know if there's any evidence (NOT anecdote) for any harm ever being done to a healthy cyclist by city air pollution.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Well, I cycle to and from work, go to the gym every morning before work (and sometimes after too) and have a pretty good diet so I regard myself as well above average fitness wise. The only variable that's changed in the last year is the cycling so process of elimination would indicate the increase in coughs etc is that I'm sucking in too much bad air? Well, I hope it's that and nothing something really terrible! :ohmy:

Doesn't London consistently break EU regulations concerning air quality? That's bound to have an effect. If masks help with that or not is another matter.

No real opinion on mask, I wear glasses, they're pretty much mutually exclusive, but in terms of your opinion on air quality in London, it may be an idea to check the life expectancy for London vs other UK cities to see if their EU air quality infringements are shortening peoples lives, if so then there may be something in the poisoning yourself concern, if not then it could simply be a change in where you are exerting yourself and the cold, damp outdoor air (or last years weather as its known) that you are now sucking in in greater quantity than before that your body is still getting used to.

or maybe you are now getting nice fresh outdoor air into your lungs, they are rebelling against the endlessly recirculated farts, burps and bug laden gasps of your gym colleagues :thumbsup:

Davidc

Guru
I started going to a gym a few years back, and then stopped again and increased my cycling.

The number of flu-like illnesses, colds, sore throats etc. I caught increased dramatically when I went to the Gym, dropped back to near zero when I stopped.

OK - anecdotal with no proof, but it's put me off regular use of gyms for good.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

No real opinion on mask, I wear glasses, they're pretty much mutually exclusive, but in terms of your opinion on air quality in London, it may be an idea to check the life expectancy for London vs other UK cities to see if their EU air quality infringements are shortening peoples lives, if so then there may be something in the poisoning yourself concern, if not then it could simply be a change in where you are exerting yourself and the cold, damp outdoor air (or last years weather as its known) that you are now sucking in in greater quantity than before that your body is still getting used to.

or maybe you are now getting nice fresh outdoor air into your lungs, they are rebelling against the endlessly recirculated farts, burps and bug laden gasps of your gym colleagues :thumbsup:

I didn't get on with wearing cycling glasses, my guess is that I may not take to the mask either... Anyway, as I say, the cycling is the only change in my routine (sad as that may be) in the last year, been going to the gym for 10-12 years pretty consistently.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

As above. Colds, flue, etc. are caused by biological agents not pollution.

I used to commute to work (and if appropriate will again) and wouldn't restrict my breathing with a mask. At several times that was in London, before the days of clean engines, exhaust filters, catalytic converters etc.

I'd be interested to know if there's any evidence (NOT anecdote) for any harm ever being done to a healthy cyclist by city air pollution.

True, I shouldn't have said colds, let's focus on respiratory problems... Pollution is definitely a factor there!

http://www.london.gov.uk/priorities...g-londons-air/air-pollution-and-public-health

The Westminster document is especially pertinent to me, interesting they say that car drivers are exposed to more pollution than cyclists and peds because they use busier routes. Whilst I try to cycle quiet routes, there are areas in Westminster where that's pretty much impossible.

I'm gonna try a few tactics like making more use of the Advanced Cycle Stoppy boxes and keeping more of a distance between myself and the vehicle in front in slow traffic... Then maybe a mask...