cycling newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rapido

Hi started cycling to work a few months ago on a knackered old mountain bike and caught the cycling bug. Now i'm looking to do some proper cycling as well as get to work a little quicker so i'm now going to buy a road bike and i cant wait :smile:

Biker Joe

Über Member
Hi and :welcome:
Good for you.
Let us know what bike you get.
I wish you many happy hours of cycling.

OP
OP
R

rapido

probibly a triban 3, claud butler criterium or raleigh airlight maybe, or ebay for a good used bike perhaps but i dont know what id be looking for

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome. Proably best to go for new if you don't know what you are looking for second hand. All the bikes you have mentioned are good but the Triban gets the cigar from contributors on here.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Rapido & :welcome:. The Triban 3 has a lot of fans on here, I suspect you'd do well with that. Just a point to note though, Decathlon have been tinkering with their model range for 2013. The Triban 3 frame has had a drivetrain and tyre upgrade and been renamed the Triban 5A at £400. The 2013 Triban 3 is effectively a new base model and isn't as appealing.

Hi Rapido & :welcome:. The Triban 3 has a lot of fans on here, I suspect you'd do well with that. Just a point to note though, Decathlon have been tinkering with their model range for 2013. The Triban 3 frame has had a drivetrain and tyre upgrade and been renamed the Triban 5A at £400. The 2013 Triban 3 is effectively a new base model and isn't as appealing.

When did or will that happen? I bought my Triban 3 just last week, so did I get one of the new ones or one of the previous type - and how would I tell? The Triban 5s in Decathlon all had very different frames to the 3s and I didn't see any 5a models. Perhaps I'm being paranoid :-)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
When did or will that happen? I bought my Triban 3 just last week, so did I get one of the new ones or one of the previous type - and how would I tell? The Triban 5s in Decathlon all had very different frames to the 3s and I didn't see any 5a models. Perhaps I'm being paranoid :-)
The 2012 model is red and the 2013 models are white. The biggest difference is that the 2012 Triban 3 had a carbon fibre fork as standard but the new 2013 triban 3A doesn't, meaning it is pretty much the same as it's similar priced competitors. This thread has links to the new specs.

Top Bottom