To Triban or not to Triban

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stewby

Regular
Hello all. Been reading these forums since last summer lusting after a shiny new road bike. My current bike is a Specialized Globe hybrid. I enjoy riding it and by the end if last summer could consistently manage 30 mile rides on it doing around 3 rides a week.

I went into Decathlon yesterday and loved both the Triban 3 and Triban 5. I was really close to getting a quote for one or the other for the Cyclescheme but held off. I emailed the store enquiring about the new 2013 models and they sent me links to the new Triban 3 and 5 specs on their website. The new Triban 3 is £280 with Microshift drivetrain and no carbon fork. It has a white frame with some black and red detailing. The new Triban 5 is £400, looks like the same frame as the current Triban 3 but has full Sora drivetrain, branded tyres (but not a brand I knew) and a Selle Royal saddle. It has a Matt black with blue detailing finish. There will also bea Triban 7 but there was no info on that as yet.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-a-id_8239800.html

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5-a-id_8239801.html

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-7-black-id_8239802.html

So advice time. Looking at the options available would I be best to

1) get a current Triban 3
2) get a current Triban 5 (pushing my budget but could just about do it using Cyclescheme)
3) wait a month or so until the new Triban 5 is out (is a full Sora drive train worth the £100 extra over current Triban 3?)

As I am the most indecisive shopper I know I really look forward to your advice

outlash

also available in orange
Not sure about the T7 as it looks like details are a bit thin on the ground! Anyway, the 5a looks like decent value. The groupset is one up from the current 3's 2300, better seat and tyres. I'd say that's pretty decent for the extra cash.

Tony.

vickster

Legendary Member
The previous Sora also has the button shifter like the 2300 while I believe the new Sora doesn't (and is like a previous gen of Tiagra)

The advantage of the current 3 and 5 is that they have been heavily reviewed, praised and ridden while the new ones are an unknown quantity :smile:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The new T5 (T5a) has the new Sora, 9spd with a paddle shifter (I would pay the extra £100 for that paddle shifter alone). Looks good for the money.

Radchenister

Veteran
Mmmm the new 5 is nice ... but I'm only judging it by the colour ;) .

... but more seriously, if the rest of the bike is up to standard of the 3 (or beyond) and it has road pedals, then decision made for you IMO .

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
The new 5 looks like a lot of bike for the money.
The new 3 looks to be perhaps half a step backward, but TBH i dont have any experience of microshift controls so I may be being unfair.

If it was me, I'd be tempted to wait for the new 5.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The new T5 (T5a) has the new Sora, 9spd with a paddle shifter (I would pay the extra £100 for that paddle shifter alone). Looks good for the money.
T5A for me too but not really because of the paddle shifter. The Ounce triple on the current T5 is not very durable, a Sora drivetrain would be better. I used to have a B'twin Sport, which was the Triban 3's predecessor, and I had to change to Sora anyway at extra cost.

OP
OP
S

stewby

Regular
Thanks for your responses so far. I am defintely leaning towards waiting for the 5A. I won't have that many chances to ride for the next month anyway as the bad weather has caused a major fixture back log with footie so waiting won't be too much a hardship hopefully, unless we get a gloriously sunny February and early March plus I have my trustee hybrid to tide me over. I think a full Sora with the different shifters is quite tempting as well as that better saddle and tyres. Not sure about the colour, the red of the current Triban 3 is nice and of course red will always be faster than black. At £400 I think the price is spot on for Cycle to work schemes as with a goof few accesories you can still keep below the £500 threshold.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I think the spec on the £280 Triban 3 puts it up against the enrty level models in the Halfords Carrera, Claud Butlter and Viking ranges. You can buy a carbon fork for £60 and pay about £10 for fitting.

The Triban 5 is better value and should have a decent Sora Hollowtech II bottom bracket. The 3 will most likely have a cheap sealed cartridge one (see owners club thread).

Both Microshift and Sora have the paddle shifter behind the brake lever. I bet there isn't any appreciable difference in performance between the two apart from the 1 extra gear on the Sora.

It states oversize bars for the 5 , but the photo shows standard 26mm clamp:scratch: Worth checking in-store.

Psyclist

Über Member
Both Microshift and Sora have the paddle shifter behind the brake lever. I bet there isn't any appreciable difference in performance between the two apart from the 1 extra gear on the Sora.

Microshift has mixed views from my research, 10 speed MS seems to work okay but not to the likes of Shimano.
8 and 9 speed MS have had problem in the past. I wouldn't be able to compare old tech on old MS to the new Sora, as the new Sora is using tech from last years Shimano groupset.

That's just my 2 pence.

D

Deleted member 20519

That new 5 looks nice, I wish they would upgrade me for free :sad:

Tribanite

the new 5 is closer to the old 3 (2011-2012 triban 3). It looks as if the company has looked at feedback and uprated the tyres, from Decathlon own brand. will be interesting to see how the hubs and wheels go

D

Deleted member 20519

the new 5 is closer to the old 3 (2011-2012 triban 3). It looks as if the company has looked at feedback and uprated the tyres, from Decathlon own brand. will be interesting to see how the hubs and wheels go
The wheels look the same, complete crap!

Top Bottom