Cycling on TdF stage on the morning before the race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alkamid

I've never done this before and since I am in Cambridge, I thought I might try cycling the 3rd stage before the professionals. In the FAQ (http://letour.yorkshire.com/the-grand-départ-2014/faq) they say:

You can ride on the stage 1 and 2 routes on race days.

Does anyone know about the 3rd stage? Assuming that I will make it at least 0.5h before the caravan, can I cycle on the closed roads?

Yes you can as long as you arrived a good hour or so before the caravan as they start making you walk and delay you along the way in the last hour with stoppages as they do checks and updates. For example we had to stop at Ilkley as the crowds were big and walk and then we were not allowed back on at the crossing point as we wanted to carry onto skipton.

If you want to ride the whole stage I would go tonight and do it or set off really early tomorrow and do it.

mangid

Guru
Not in Cambridge or Essex, the roads are closed from 7am, and the websites claim they won't let cyclists on the closed roads.

I'm setting of from Cambridge ~5:15 and going to Finchingfield, and then heading back to catch the start with the kids.

mangid

Guru
Should have give references:

http://www.letouressex.com/en-gb/faq.aspx

Looks like it's 7:30am in Essex

Are the roads going to be closed for walkers, cyclists and horse riders?

The roads remain open for walkers but cyclists will have to dismount and walk. Cyclists and horse riders will not be able to use the closed roads until they re-open. They need to be off the route some time before event arrives for safety purposes.

Are bikes allowed through road closures and are bikes allowed to cycle on the closed route in front of the race?

Riders on bikes are not allowed through road closures. No bike riding is permitted on the route for the period of the road closures.

Can members of the public ride the route before or after the race?

The roads that form the race route in Essex will close to traffic at 7.30 on Monday 7 July to ensure that the infrastructure needed for the event, including signage and safety barriers, can be installed safely. As a result, it won’t be possible for members of the public to cycle on the route while the roads are closed.

MikeG

Guru
.........I'm setting of from Cambridge ~5:15 and going to Finchingfield, and then heading back to catch the start with the kids.

You won't see a thing in Finchingfield. The crowds will be 20 deep and more. The local pub sold tables out months ago at £180 per head (that price gets reported at varying levels). There are people camping out there now.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I saw a thing saying the roads in London won't be open to cyclists.
Yes, this is the TfL advice:
''Cycling may also be an easier option for getting around, however the route will not be available to ride after the road closures are put in or before the roads reopen.

If you are planning on taking your bike on public transport, remember that restrictions apply including on train operating companies outside London. Check Cycling or your train operating company's website for more information.

Remember to always lock your bike and use designated cycle parking facilities or stands, such as those available at the Green Park Fan Park and Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park spectator hub.''

Well played, i couldn't be arsed to try and find it again tbh.

mangid

Guru
You won't see a thing in Finchingfield. The crowds will be 20 deep and more. The local pub sold tables out months ago at £180 per head (that price gets reported at varying levels). There are people camping out there now.

Wow, the crowds have been impressive. Might be a battle to see them in Cambridge by the sounds of it.

Still, riding thru Finchingfield at 6:30 should be fun :-)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I think I've got tomorrow afternoon free so I'll pop over the river to somewhere near City Airport and join the throng and then dash back to see whether I can make it in time for the finish on TV.

MikeG

Guru
I'm cycling over to a field hired by my cycle club. I think it is between Wethersfield and Toppesfield. I hope it isn't surrounded by a very high hedge!!

NorvernRob

What a load of BS that they're not letting you ride. We rode to Holmfirth, up Holme Moss and followed the route back to Bradfield today. Absolutely amazing day, riding on closed roads and ascending Holme Moss with thousands of people cheering, ringing bells and shouting encouragement. Just incredible.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If they catch up with you, you can just take to the pavement like one Mr Downing today. :dry: :whistle:

DSC_0309large.JPG

What a load of BS that they're not letting you ride. We rode to Holmfirth, up Holme Moss and followed the route back to Bradfield today. Absolutely amazing day, riding on closed roads and ascending Holme Moss with thousands of people cheering, ringing bells and shouting encouragement. Just incredible.
It's no biggie. Drivers in London wouldn't tolerate closed roads being used by bikes that didn't cost a fortune and you get paid to ride.

Top Bottom