Cycling on the Fosse Way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim

Hi

I'm looking a planning a ride local to me and wondered if anybody have experience of riding on the fosse way between the Chesterton mill area down to Halford in the Warwickshire area in terms of traffic, it's about a 10 mile stretch. I realise I could pick a more laney alternative but thought i'd give this a try.
Thank you.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Look at it on Street View. I just did and it looked like the kind of road I avoid - long, straight, fairly narrow, and carrying fast-moving traffic. I'm sure that somebody will come on and tell you that it is fine, but I prefer not to have vehicles doing 60 mph overtaking me about a foot from my right elbow!

I agree with ColinJ
I have driven along the Fosse Way many times. The problem of a straight road is that it does not give an accurate sense of distance and speed. Therefore even driving on a straight road is not very safe. I would avoid that. There are plenty of more scenic country roads to take in that part of the world.

D

Deleted member 1258

Its very lumpy, the worse section is the run down to the B4100 Gaydon road, people use it as a rat run to junc 12 of the M40, once you pass that roundabout it gets a lot quieter, mostly local traffic.
Where are you coming from?

mysticmeg

Have done it as we were tempted by historic nature of road. It was quite busy (that may be an understatement) but good surface and the straightness was fun. Would I do it again? Err no. Take fhe lanes.

Wobblers

Euthermic
I've ridden it in the evening when it's been relatively quiet. It's straight and direct so has the advantage of taking you to your destination quickly and without fuss - but it's also fairly narrow. You will get the occasional close pass. Whether you want to tackle it or not depends on how confident you are cycling in traffic. I would not be keen on taking a group ride along it - I think you'd end up seeing impatient behaviour from motorists. Using the lanes will be quieter and more interesting (you'll actually get corners and bends!).

OP
OP
T

Tim

[
Thanks for the responses,

Looking at it again I agree, the extra lumpiness wouldn't really make it worth while I think and It can be an awkward road for traffic to pass on.

QUOTE="dave r, post: 3187927, member: 1258"]Its very lumpy, the worse section is the run down to the B4100 Gaydon road, people use it as a rat run to junc 12 of the M40, once you pass that roundabout it gets a lot quieter, mostly local traffic.
Where are you coming from?[/QUOTE]

I'm coming from Rugby and going to Chipping Campden, I quite often ride down to Kineton so I'll carry on to Plillerton Priors and join the Fosse at Halford and leave it just after again for Ilmington.

Heifer73

I wouldn't' t recommend it, driven it alot, fast moving traffic. I have seen plenty of cyclists walking with bikes on the Fosse Way, maybe something to do with all the lumpy bits. I would take the scenic lanes.

Crankarm

Guru
I wouldn't ride along it. I have driven it a couple of times Rugby going south and back but not recently. It is straight and narrow with a fair amount of traffic depending on time of day of course. I have been over taken by 40ft huge trucks when I have been bimbling along at 60 in my car. Quite a few trucks use the route. Avoid if cycling and even if driving too.

Top Bottom