Cycling on the pavement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I don't see anything wrong with cycling with care and courtesy on the pavement in principle. OTOH it's illegal unless shared use which is why I don't, and I'm not generally the type of cyclist who will use the pavements anyway.

The reason it annoys me is that everytime I see someone cycling on the pavement, I see it as another bit of ammo for anybody that wants to have a pop at cyclists.

I had a woman cyclist run into the back of me as I was walking down the road (pavement). Both her and her partner apeared to think shouting "watch out" a split second before impact made things all right. They both looked confused by my outburst and refusal to accept the meek "sorry" that I was given. BTW this was a middle aged couple!!!

col

Legendary Member
I cant see a problem cycling on the pavement if its clear of anyone,but when there is someone they have priority amd i normally dismount.

col

Legendary Member
Eat MY Dust said:
But what about passing motorists? "look another fu*king cyclist on the pavement" (probably said to someone on the other end of the mobile!!!;))

If im the only thing on the pavement i cant see a problem,and if a driver thinks that in those cicumstances they are the type we dont want to know anyway.:biggrin:But i would do this if i wasnt keen on a particular junction or roundabout.Like i have said before,iv even advised my son to get on the pavement if he feels unsafe or unsure,but if anyone is there you dismount and walk it.

User3143 said:
What road is this? I've never had a problem filtering through rush hour traffic and am up for a challenge.

Is that what you do with this road then? Do you break the law and ride on the pavement rather then riding ''this road''

There's a couple of roads in NW London where have I've come across this. This may be sad, but I get off my bike and walk with the bike instead of pavement cycling!!!

jonesy

Guru
User3143 said:
What road is this? I've never had a problem filtering through rush hour traffic and am up for a challenge.

Is that what you do with this road then? Do you break the law and ride on the pavement rather then riding ''this road''

I can think of plenty of roads where the lanes are sufficiently narrow to prevent filtering and where the volume of oncoming traffic provides few opportunities for overtaking.

upandover

Guru
I gave up last time I cycled into Birmingham, after a couple of minutes sitting at the Holyhead roundabout at the end of the Bristol Road. So much easier and safer to cross at the crossing and wizz down the pavement a little way until it was safe to get back on.

Quicker too, a guy I passed a few minutes before was already crossing the ped lights having nipped onto the pavement earlier.

I feel uncomfortable with it generally, but then my wife cycles to work occassionally, and does it ll on the pavement, preferring it to the road. I prefer it for her to. :wacko:

Steve

bonj2

No. I merely get onto the shared use pavement.

It's the A38 in Birmingham, approaching Bristol St. Two very narrow lanes each way. In the rush hour they're all congested, and you'll often find there's no way past on the road.

Stay on the road if you like. It's your choice. I'll leave you standing there while I toddle on happily.

Sorry - am I hearing this right - you cycle on the pavement?! :smile::wacko::wacko:
So somebody doing 331mph in a car is unacceptable simply "because it's the law", but you find it perfectly acceptable to break the laws that suit you?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
bonj said:
Sorry - am I hearing this right - you cycle on the pavement?! :smile::wacko::wacko:
So somebody doing 331mph in a car is unacceptable simply "because it's the law", but you find it perfectly acceptable to break the laws that suit you?

Surely he said:
Originally Posted by User
No. I merely get onto the shared use pavement.

In which case not illegal.

Kizibu

I recently witnessed an extraordinary bit of pavement cycling. In the centre of town there is a busy light-controlled junction where five major roads intersect. Much of the pavement is railed off with kurb-side railings on the corners and there are a few bike lanes and boxes woven into and around this junction. To add to pavement congestion there is a greengrocers who displays his wares on the pavement - boxes of fruit outside the shop and racks of plants and stuff against the railings so there is barely room for two pedestrains to pass. Both the road and the pavement are busy places here.

A cyclist on a mtb came round the greengrocers corner on the pavement behind a male pedestrian walking in the middle of the pavement and there was not really enough room for the cyclist to pass on either side of the bloke on foot . The pedestrian was not aware of the cyclist behind him. But he soon became so as the cyclist without slowing down and in a manouvre that I still find hard to believe somehow managed to edge his front wheel past to the right of the pedestrian while at the same time he somehow leaned forward and shouldered the pedestrian aside with his left shoulder and cycled on past him without slowing at all or saying anything leaving the somewhat surprised pedestrian staggering to keep to his feet. It was unbelieveable but happened right in front of me so was unmistakeable.

mumbo jumbo

I agree with MrP about Bristol Road. I cycle to the city centre that way twice a week in rush hour. There are 2 stretches where the lanes are too narrow. One through Selly Oak to the Uni. Here the pavement is ped only so I stay on the road even if it's jammed. The other is after Priory Road. In fact, just after Priory Rd there's a sign which says something like "Cyclists Join Path". If this is jammed I'll saunter along the shared use path. If not, I take the road.

mj

purplepolly

Where there is no dividing line, it's a shared use path. Which means anyone can use any part of it. It shouldn't be difficult for users to understand this, and I'd question the intelligence of someone who is physically unable to share a pavement with other users.

mmm some people do actually have learning difficulties and despite having been taught to cross roads safely, etc, might not be up to speed with the finer points of shared paths.

Others might have sight problems, and this isn't just a case of having either good vision or being partially sighted / blind, there's a whole big area in between. Personally I can see fine with contacts but can only use them for about 8 hours a day, the rest of the time particularly at night my eyesight's not so good as glasses don't correct my eyesight properly.

Maybe pedestrians should just stay at home if they're unable to cope with shared facilities and would otherwise just hold up cyclists?

Top Bottom